Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rearranged drum room to spark some motivation

User Info Menu

Default Rearranged drum room to spark some motivation

For me, it's all about the environment where I practice drums that keeps things positive and spurs motivation. I spend countless hours in my garage tinkering around with different kits and discovering new ways of setting things up but in recent days, I've fallen into a funk. Call it the "Winter Blues" or whatever but the cold weather has certainly made a difference in my disposition.

I occupy 1/3 of a 3 car garage for drums. For the passed 11 years, I've kept my area open and clear of clutter to accommodate space for the cars we drive.

Before

2_shot_side_zpsoprhx3j5.jpg

As of late, the distractions in the garage are happening more often than usual and I'm having trouble focusing while I practice. I decided it was time for a major overhaul so I moved some shelves around and built a barrier between me and the rest of the garage for added privacy and I'm happy to say it's working. I finally have my own space.

After

09C44D77-842D-49B9-B282-F2F95767569A_zpsrl58m9wu.jpg

Before

front_2shot_zpsksimqomw.jpg

After

BAD5EBA0-940D-48F9-906D-03E800430C56_zpsuz8iwfe2.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 01-18-2018 at 04:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rearranged drum room to spark some motivation

continued...

I turned the PA speakers away from the rest of the house so it faces both kits now and I can hear better without having to wear headphones if I wanted to play along with a tune.

56ABBBA2-C68A-409A-AA2F-52A3C5148338_zpsq16p1ycf.jpg

Each half of the speaker stack faces a kit.

C3650A8A-F5A4-43A2-9E03-E40CD17AEEA8_zpsoxe5ovmb.jpg

D5B22AC9-8AEE-4690-AA25-847E3A574D98_zpstafmlvyo.jpg

More importantly, there's something in-between the kits and the truck now!

C2CF56EF-B896-44EA-A0FB-28A14FA21675_zpsmlfejxan.jpg

User Info Menu

I bet those kits sound much different with the speakers making the space a lil smaller? I dont know if it's possible or not from the pics but I would look to just wall it off with a few 2x4's and thin ply wood walls?
    I re-arranged my practice space in my basement over the xmas break for the same reasons but it still feels a lil cluttered and cramped, will try to post some pics.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Man.............that is a nice practice space.............very cool.
    I could lose a few days in there.
    Are you enjoying the coated batters more than the clears these days ?
    I'm looking at buying three coated batters for my toms to see if I like them (Aquarian -- Focus X Coated with Power Dot).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I bet those kits sound much different with the speakers making the space a lil smaller? I dont know if it's possible or not from the pics but I would look to just wall it off with a few 2x4's and thin ply wood walls?
    I re-arranged my practice space in my basement over the xmas break for the same reasons but it still feels a lil cluttered and cramped, will try to post some pics.
    Yes, you're spot on about the kits sounding different, in fact, I'd say it's much better than before and again you're right about using 2x4's to wall off my space. I think I'll look into you're suggestion and see how economical it would be to take on a project like this. In my last band, we had lots of room to set up the gear in the garage and I'm thinking a permanent wall may hinder future rehearsal space....

BF3C3D1C-89DB-4A99-8C4A-D077F8552231_zps5il0nfzb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Man.............that is a nice practice space.............very cool.
    I could lose a few days in there.
    Are you enjoying the coated batters more than the clears these days ?
    I'm looking at buying three coated batters for my toms to see if I like them (Aquarian -- Focus X Coated with Power Dot).
    Thanks Ricky! Yes, I'm enjoying the coated batter so much more than the clear heads. There's so much more "warmth" and the heads don't sound so "clicky" with the coated surface. I'm thinking Aquarian Texture coated heads for the USA kit.

1.jpg

User Info Menu

Late...you're one lucky and blessed man.

I gotta push the dining table over to set up a basic minimalist set. One stray jab and I could hit the coffee maker instead of a cymbal LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Late...you're one lucky and blessed man.

I gotta push the dining table over to set up a basic minimalist set. One stray jab and I could hit the coffee maker instead of a cymbal LOL

all the best...
    Thanks kay-gee...wanna trade spots? I was born and raised on an island in the Pacific and I feel like a fish out of water living so far from the ocean...

User Info Menu

C'mon Rich, you're in California. The next step west is the Pacific.

User Info Menu

Not sure what your budget allows, but you could check out one of those accordion style room divider curtains. They hang from a track on the ceiling. That would allow you to divide off the practice area, yet still be able to open it up in a few seconds.

Industrial style
    IMG_0309.JPG

Commercial style
    IMG_0310.JPG

You may be able to make your own out of tarps and some hanging pipe (like a redneck shower curtain, LOL).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Not sure what your budget allows, but you could check out one of those accordion style room divider curtains. They hang from a track on the ceiling. That would allow you to divide off the practice area, yet still be able to open it up in a few seconds.

Industrial style
    IMG_0309.JPG

Commercial style
    IMG_0310.JPG

You may be able to make your own out of tarps and some hanging pipe (like a redneck shower curtain, LOL).
    Thanks Brian! Those are some great ideas.

User Info Menu

Great looking rehearsal space!!!

User Info Menu

I think that was a great idea Rich and it must make the kits sound more full to you with the sound bouncing right back at you.

Too bad Sovereign Cross didnt work out more. The big Pearl set looked good with the banner
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Great looking rehearsal space!!!
    Thanks Marc!

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I think that was a great idea Rich and it must make the kits sound more full to you with the sound bouncing right back at you.

Too bad Sovereign Cross didnt work out more. The big Pearl set looked good with the banner
    Hey slinky! Man...the kit's sound is really good now! Yeah too bad it was a bust. Looking back at that kit...I kinda miss it!

User Info Menu

being from Wisconsin... seeing people setup their kits and playing area in the garage boggles my mind.
    Because we can't do that... unless you want to freeze to death lol
    Or have a super nice heated/cooled garage setup.

How about I fly out and we duet those kits

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    being from Wisconsin... seeing people setup their kits and playing area in the garage boggles my mind.
    Because we can't do that... unless you want to freeze to death lol
    Or have a super nice heated/cooled garage setup.

How about I fly out and we duet those kits
    lol! I'd love to do a duet man! You could teach me a few things! Yep...the weather here allows me to hang out in the garage a lot. It gets cold enough here to warrant a small heater but in the summer, the heat gets to be too much, even with a fan blowing.

User Info Menu

That's nice!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Beautiful gear, Late8
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Beautiful gear, Late8
    Thanks Kevin!

User Info Menu

Nice little space you got late8. When I haven’t played for a while I turn my drums to face the wall, or the other way. I just set them up in different parts of the room and rearrange things all the time. Then it’s again fun to try out your new setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

A friend of mine who passed away a couple years ago had a band. Their practice space was an old pole barn on his farm. He had a wood burning stove for heat. 4 or 5 hours before practice, he would go out and start a fire in the stove (in the winter). By practice time, it was warm enough...as long as you wore a light jacket. By the end of practice, the stove was cranked and you were covered in sweat, LOL. In summer, he would just open up the big doors on opposite ends. It was like playing an outdoor gig on a covered stage....to an audience of cattle and horses. Needless to say, they were always battling equipment issues due to heat, cold and humidity.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm an environment guy too. Totally get it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Nice little space you got late8. When I haven’t played for a while I turn my drums to face the wall, or the other way. I just set them up in different parts of the room and rearrange things all the time. Then it’s again fun to try out your new setup.
    Thanks Mike. Small changes sometimes make big differences in drumming, especially the set up of the kit. I'll move my crash cymbals around but the ride and the hats always seem to land in the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    A friend of mine who passed away a couple years ago had a band. Their practice space was an old pole barn on his farm. He had a wood burning stove for heat. 4 or 5 hours before practice, he would go out and start a fire in the stove (in the winter). By practice time, it was warm enough...as long as you wore a light jacket. By the end of practice, the stove was cranked and you were covered in sweat, LOL. In summer, he would just open up the big doors on opposite ends. It was like playing an outdoor gig on a covered stage....to an audience of cattle and horses. Needless to say, they were always battling equipment issues due to heat, cold and humidity.
    Great story Brian! Drove to the hardware store and plucked down $11.00 and came home with a disposable drop cloth. DONE!

4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I'm an environment guy too. Totally get it!
    Cool!

User Info Menu

My old house had an exposed basement.
    We use to play with the door open to purposely let everyone hear us.
    One of my neighbors would actually bring beer over and sit outside on the patio and listen lol
    Good times...

Picking up the drop cloth is a good idea to help keep it cleaner too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    That's nice!
    Thanks DW. I got all my drum stuff organized in one spot in the garage so if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, the wife will have an easy garage sale lol!

BFA6BFD9-9A67-44FB-818D-21CCF1ED012E_zpszicomggk.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    My old house had an exposed basement.
    We use to play with the door open to purposely let everyone hear us.
    One of my neighbors would actually bring beer over and sit outside on the patio and listen lol
    Good times...
    That's too cool Spaz. I know that feeling of the open door.

BDC31F64-6CBE-4F28-A676-4DD2345E0103_zpsiffy89x1.jpg