Thread: Tom Petty died from an accidental drug overdose

User Info Menu

Default Tom Petty died from an accidental drug overdose

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom Petty died from an accidental drug overdose

It surprised me he died of heart attack when I first heard the news,but the drug OD not so much.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Sad to hear. It’s what I thought from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

It's not like he was doing drugs to get high. He was managing pain from joint pain and a broken hip and he over did it.

User Info Menu

So did Prince and Heath Ledger,

And yeah,he was doing drugs.

Mixing fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl(designer drug) and despropionyl fentanyl doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Gonna go out on a limb and say the singer from the Cranberries OD'd too.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Pretty standard rock star / human stuff.

User Info Menu

Yea, typical. No surprises here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    It's not like he was doing drugs to get high. He was managing pain from joint pain and a broken hip and he over did it.
    I can understand taking those drugs for pain. My friend had cancer and he also had them prescribed. But, who in their right mind would mix that many drugs? Heck i’m Afraid to take 2 Advil’s within one hour.
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

There's the old you don't know what you don't know cliche at work here.

Opioids affect different people differently.

I had an uncle who had morphine for a back injury while in the hospital , hallucinate about somebody being stuck in a ditch beside the bed.
    His son had a similar reaction to Percocets and is also very dose sensitive.

Some folks get hooked very easily and subtly .

I remember George Carlin saying he knew it was time to go to rehab as his routine was a handful of Percodan and a bottle of wine after a gig.

User Info Menu

hate to say i'm not shocked...

User Info Menu

When you mix all those drugs together, that's not a " accidental overdose", it's just a "stupid overdose".

User Info Menu

Can we have a moment of silence for a GREAT MUSICIAN instead of bashing him for DOING HIS JOB until it killed him? His judgement was impaired after the first pill---but he died doing what he loved. Anyone who can't understand that is NOT a musician!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    Can we have a moment of silence for a GREAT MUSICIAN instead of bashing him for DOING HIS JOB until it killed him? His judgement was impaired after the first pill---but he died doing what he loved. Anyone who can't understand that is NOT a musician!
    That opinion is not valid............................................. ...at all.

User Info Menu

That opinion is not valid............................................. ...at all.
    Sorry---your OPINION is the only one that matters?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    Sorry---your OPINION is the only one that matters?
    Of course my opinion is not the only 1 that matters. I have played with various "problems" over the years, but I would draw the line at a fractured hip to avoid it going into a full break. I wonder how he got all those drugs. 1 doctor would not prescribe them all in a fairly short period of time where there was the chance of taking several of them at 1 time. THAT IS WHY I CALLED IT A STUPID OVERDOSE.

The people around him have to take some of the blame for this. They had to know the pain he was in and should have shut it down.

User Info Menu

Acetyl Fentanyl cannot be obtained by prescription.
    So however he got it was by illegal means.
    The problem is that you do not know the strength you are taking and the chance to OD is like playing Russian roulette.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Acetyl Fentanyl cannot be obtained by prescription.
    So however he got it was by illegal means.
    The problem is that you do not know the strength you are taking and the chance to OD is like playing Russian roulette.
    I did not know that. At the same time, even if they were all legal prescription drugs, you can't mix them like a cocktail.

I don't like taking addictive drugs. They gave me 90 oxycodone pills after my heart surgery. I took them for the 1st 10-12 days until my breastbone started to heal and I stopped taking them. I don't like that "drugged" feeling and the fact that I was sleeping 16-18 hours a day. I just looked and found the container they were in. There are 61 oxycodone tablets left, which means I took 29 in the 1st couple of weeks. If I had taken 4 a day like they recommended, who knows, I might have started to like the little suckers and that is where problems start.

User Info Menu

Sh*t happens. People make mistakes. People use bad judgement. People do things out of desperation. He was a rock icon, who, like many others died of a drug OD. Surprising? No. Beating a dead horse? Yeah.

User Info Menu

I had a suspicion Petty OD'd.