Thread: Playing fo a Charity event fund raiser?

User Info Menu

Default Playing fo a Charity event fund raiser?

Tonight's gig with my new band is a charity fund raising event but we are still getting paid? Not sure what to think of that, Guess I should probably ask? Seems like if you play for a charity you should play for free? But I'm the new guy and don't want to cause a ruckus.

Have any of you guys ever got paid for a charity event? What's your feeling on the issue?

BTW the charity is end 68 hours of hunger. I do not think I am breaking a rule by posting this link but if I am please just delete it with my apology.
    http://www.end68hoursofhunger.org/
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing fo a Charity event fund raiser?

If we accept pay we don't take no more than enough to cover gas money to and from the event.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Yes, many times. Normally, just enough to cover expenses.

Usually, if paid in cash, I would just donate it back to them ...

User Info Menu

If it was possible to do them, we did them. Never asked for $ and if it was offered, like DM, we would just donate it back. Lost $ every time, but you can build up a ton of good will and might even get a gig or 2 out of it.

User Info Menu

I agree. The way I see it, if it's a decent charity, they need all the $$ they can get. If it's a charity worth being involved with, it's worth doing for free or minimum pay. If they pay bands normal rates, it makes me wonder how much of the money raised will go to "administration fees". We've done a lot of charity gigs, and it's proved to be beneficial to us....but I've learned to be skeptical of many "charity organizations". I'd rather play for free for a good cause that's legit than get paid by a charity that's questionable.

The best thing we did was get involved with benefits for several veterans charity groups. We support them every chance we get, and they in turn support us with gig opportunities like private parties and bike rallies. It's got us into places we never would have otherwise.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-20-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You write up a contract with your fee and a note indicating fee waived. Then you write off that amount when you file taxes. It's a business. Donations to charity are tax deductible. Your time and subsequent fee are donations.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Meanwhile...

salaries.jpg