Thread: Considering redo on mounted tom height - rack or stand or not?

User Info Menu

Default Considering redo on mounted tom height - rack or stand or not?

I've played a traditional setup for decades, one snare, two mounted toms over bass drum and one or two floor toms to the right. I've always been slightly frustrated that I can't lower my mounted toms more with a bass drum mount before the bottom rim hits the bass. Accepted that great drummers play this setup but many great drummers also play with their toms a little flatter and lower, Benny Greb for example. I have a flexibility since I play for fun mostly to change my setup, subtract or add to it to change my mounted height. Looking for options and advice on how you like your setup or what to consider for changing the toms height for better control and smoother transitions. FWIW I have a Tama Star classic 5 piece shell kit. thx drumming folks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Considering redo on mounted tom height - rack or stand or not?

When I ordered my Pork Pie I specifically custom ordered more shallow depth toms so I could get them to sit lower and flatter across the bass drum. Watching Thomas Lang and Chris Coleman drums setup made me want them flat also.

You could also try just a 1 up and 2 down see how you like it. Offset the tom onto a stand instead of on the kick.

Or... as crazy as this sounds... I've seen people take old drums that are in the classic depths and cut them down and redo the bearing edges to make them more new age and shallow.

User Info Menu

Whether my 5pc kit is on stands or a rack, getting the toms in a comfortable position has been a challenge. I'm 5'9", average height so my rack toms are slightly tilted and my throne is set so my thighs are slightly bent but not parallel to the floor.

If I have the kit set up on a rack, having the tom mount low enough is problematic, so I have to be really careful how low set up the 12" tom:

crossbar_zps105e7358.jpg

When I choose to set up the kit on stands with the rack toms mounted on them, ergonomics solutions often give way to stability priorities. My cymbal stands are pushed to their limits with so much hanging off of them.

norackfrontshot_zps2fdeba11.jpg

But with a rack, I can off set the toms ever so slightly, with the first high tom right in front of me. I can't achieve this with stands.

67C8F5EA-0A33-4F3B-B3E6-E71B430D0B0E_zpsx8o4iua8.jpg

F279280A-4987-4F7A-9F55-C55A28A3B1FE_zps48wnhaao.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 01-22-2018 at 11:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    You could also try just a 1 up and 2 down see how you like it. Offset the tom onto a stand instead of on the kick.
    ^^^ This

I ordered my USA Customs in February of 1977...............the original configuration was a virgin 13" tom (to be placed in a snare basket) and the 14" and 15" toms mounted on the bass drum. The bass drum is 14X24....................I also ordered the big 16X18 FT......................so it was 3-up, 1-down.

I played my kit this way for many years but was never totally comfortable with the feel because I had to sit too high.
    That 15" tom is 12 inches deep...............when mounted on a 24" bass drum, you are at least three feet high on the batter head.

These days I play the kit 1-up, 2-down and I like it much better.
    The 13" tom is still in the snare basket and I use the 15" as a small FT along with the original large 18" FT.
    Everything is now sitting at a lower more comfortable position.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    But with a rack, I can off set the toms ever so slightly, with the first high tom right in front of me. I can't achieve this with stands.
    Cool solution..............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

continued...

A complete off-set position didn't work for me. It pushed the hihats too far over to the left:

twoshotfrtoutside_zpsda4fdc84.jpg

birdseyeusa_zps907d881d.jpg

So my solution to a 5pc with no bass drum tom mount on stands is to mount the toms squarely over the bass drum and use rack bars to tie the stands together creating a hybrid rack:

gretsch_zps5orovcj8.jpg

front_2shot_zpst9gsnpky.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 01-22-2018 at 11:56 PM.

User Info Menu

continued...

Hybrid rack:

gretsch_bird_zpshertbcpy.jpg

User Info Menu

hybrid rack looks like a nice option ... cut my Birch/Bubinga shells???? Nevar! I can see buying Hyper drive toms which are shallower. Love the DW stripey finish on that one set!

User Info Menu

BTW what is the rack hardware on the Gretsch set? thx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    Love the DW stripey finish on that one set!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    BTW what is the rack hardware on the Gretsch set? thx
    1x- 33" V-bar
    1x- 20" bar
    4x- Gibraltar Road Series Multi-clamp
    1x- SC-EA300 Flex Extension Arm (had "pedal creep" on single braced hihat stand)

9.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 01-22-2018 at 11:48 PM.

User Info Menu

That V bar makes it like a classic car grill
    I like it on that kit

User Info Menu

You could try 1 up and set the tom in a snare stand. This gives you flexibility to place it where you want and as high or low as you want it. If you prefer 2 up, you could use a stand and offset them from your kick. This again gives you a lot of flexibility on placement and height. IMHO, racks are too much work to set up and way to much gear for gigging.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    That V bar makes it like a classic car grill
    I like it on that kit
    Agreed......................looks good on the bass drum @ 18" depth.
    Mine is a 14 and it would look like a mismatch.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    You could try 1 up and set the tom in a snare stand. This gives you flexibility to place it where you want and as high or low as you want it. If you prefer 2 up, you could use a stand and offset them from your kick. This again gives you a lot of flexibility on placement and height. IMHO, racks are too much work to set up and way to much gear for gigging.
    Good idea for playing out for sure. I'm in a spot where I can keep the Tama Star Classic birch/bubinga in the house and have a playing out set. That said my playing out set is two mounted toms so I'd need something. I have extra snare stands.. for the extra snares (GAS).

User Info Menu

If you have sacks of money, you could get a 20" bass and lower your toms 2".

User Info Menu

I have a 24" BD with a 14"x10" up tom mounted on a Slingerland Set-O-Matic tom holder. Next to the 14" is a 13"x10" tom mounted on a snare stand. Both are at a roughly 30 degree angle to the snare drum. I'm 6' and my seat is 27" so I sit higher than most drummers.

User Info Menu

with one up, it's not much of a problem. My tom is not so much on top of the bass as it is beside the bass. If the bass were a clock face the bottom rim of my tom would almost touch the bass shell at 1:00. I also angle it inwards approx 15-20 degrees. Completes a nice triangle with the snare and hats. Super easy to play.

I realize of course, with 2 up this wouldn't be possible. The gap between the toms would be really large and other problems would be created placing the ride etc...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Actually, with 2 up it's still possible
    IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg

User Info Menu

Nice setup i-player. I'm as they say comfortable, but no sacks of money, plus I like my Tama Star Classic as is. I'm a few inches shy of 6' too so... maybe a hybrid rack or a tom tom holder. This is good food for rethinking the standard old setup.