Thread: weighted drumsticks

User Info Menu

Default weighted drumsticks

not sure if this has been talked about but what do you guys think about metal or weighted drumsticks?

===========================================
    Visitors: If you landed here looking for Fitness Drumsticks or Exercise Drumsticks, visit DrumBum.com
    or call 1-800-DRUM BUM (378-6286) for more information.

Weighted Drumsticks for Fitness or Exercise Classes

Fitness Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Weighted Drumsticks

I was looking into buying some ahead aluminium ones, but Ive heard there's nothing special about them, and theyr so damned expensive i didn't bother. I wouldn't bother unless you really need them as part of your sound/feel...

User Info Menu

They might be a little spendy, but it's the last pair of sticks you will ever have to buy. Multiply the # of sticks you go through by the # of years you plan on playing and they seem pretty cheap to me.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Weighted Drumsticks

hahahahaha i destroy my sticks because i keep them sooo long because i can barely afford new ones. Last night i had to buy new Ralph hardimon's for the dl. My old ones had big chunks missing out of them. god i loved those sticks

User Info Menu

yeah me too.......i play with a pair of sticks untill the completely break in half

User Info Menu

I think he's talking about the metal warm up sticks. You don't play them on the drums themselves, just the practice pad.

They're controversial. Some swear by them and others think they're harmful to your wrists. I personally think that, used in moderation, they're just fine. I used to practice with them a lot and I never sustained any injuries.

Drum Bum sells a real nice model --> http://store.drumbum.com/skuSTK-6.html (the pictures crappy but they're "killer" sticks. The rubber grip is the best part.) I know they sell a lot of them.

Here's a newer pair of weighted drumsticks or workout sticks for the pad, that they just added:

Weighted Drumsticks

Weighted Drumsticks

User Info Menu

how are they meant to be bad for you?alot of metal drummers are endorsed by them and use them all the time ive never heard of any injury claims?

User Info Menu

Twiggy, I believe you're thinking of the Ahead drumsticks with the aluminum core. This is different than the weighted sticks, which are only meant for practice pads. However, to confuse the issue even more, Ahead also makes a weighted practice pad model. These days, weighted drum sticks are also used for workout and exercise fitness programs like Drums Alive and Poundfit. Here is a pair of drumsticks used for fitness and aerobics classes:

Fitness Drumsticks

More on Weighted Drumsticks

User Info Menu

you're right; now im totally lost

User Info Menu

i think metal stick don't work as well as wood ...the cross stick sound aint as good with metal... plus i think wood is better for your cymbals and skins

jarhead Guest

Weighted Drumsticks

arent those things for practicing? i don't know if I like my sticks heavier like that.
    maybe for exercising or fitness but not for drumming

drummonkey Guest

uh ok. weighted sticks help tone up the muscles and such. Use them before you play a set. I warm up with them sometimes.

User Info Menu

One thing that works great for building up your chops is to practice with a set of matching band sticks. They are big and heavy Just do not be seen with them or you might be called a band fag

Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    They might be a little spendy, but it's the last pair of sticks you will ever have to buy. Multiply the # of sticks you go through by the # of years you plan on playing and they seem pretty cheap to me.

Dude....I trashed a bunch of Ahead sticks...I kept breaking the aluminum shaft in the core of the stick...after I broke the 4th stick, i went back to wood.(I'm a huge dude and I can hit pretty hard when I want to, lol)
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I havent heard anyone makes claims about injury about any stick

Its all about technique says I

(yea...i said says I...AArrrggg)
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Default Re: weighted drumsticks

Old thread but I think it's worth discussing. Has anyone used aluminum drum sticks? What did you think of them?

User Info Menu

A brief search turned up a general price range for aluminum sticks at $35-$50 usd.. That's pretty expensive, so I found a cheaper option - for around $3 or $4 the same company(Ahead) sells shaft covers which can simulate a weighted metal stick. As far as weighted drumsticks go, there are less expensive options - like the kind used for drumline, thick and heavy. I believe that you'll develop a stronger forearm, and this will make using lower sizes a lot easier in comparison. However, I think there's a time period in which the carryover effect from your body adjusting to handling a larger size will last - so if you can, spend a little bit of time warming up with the bigger sticks, but switch to smaller weight sticks in the same session for the greatest benefit. I have a pair of Vic Firth Corpsmasters, real thick marching drumsticks - and 25% of my total playing time is spent using them, always before the lighter size sticks, and it has really improved my grip strength overall.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i cannot stand those metal sticks... no thanks for this guy

User Info Menu

Aheads will break in half after enough rim shots. I've gone through a few pair. They don't feel bad but the only thing I don't like are all the parts they have. The tip, sleeve, ring, stick core and I think there's a plug on the butt end.

I put a sleeve in the microwave once and it melted. My fault but they don't just go on. They need to be pliable enough to get them seated.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I use promark 747's they have a lot more weight then what i'm accustomed to, but I love the feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Old thread but I think it's worth discussing. Has anyone used aluminum drum sticks? What did you think of them?
    They're controversial. I've used them for years. I like to warm up with them before the gig so that when I go to my regular sticks, I feel like I'm flyin'. I don't use them to practice anymore. I don't think the advantages are there like once thought. But you know how the baseball players warm up with the weighted rings on their bat before they get up to the mound? That's my approach.