Thread: Cheap Snare????

User Info Menu

Default Cheap Snare????

Ok I Bought A Super Cheap Snare In 6th Grade(Im a Frosh Now)For Like $130.
    It has the stock head and eveything and it doesnt sound too bad,but no matter how tight or lose I TRY to tune it,It makes a ringy sound(w/ or w/o the internal muffler).
    The brand is "acclaim" btw,i know i know i've never heard of it either.But someone please help me so I can practice my concert music w.o the dang ringy noise.
    Any advice on what to do?
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

Dampen the batter head with some moongel, tape, or two ply head. That will take out your ring.

User Info Menu

You could also use a RemO muffling ring.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

little strips of gaffo tape on the edge of the batter skin. I am trying to get a ping out of mine at the moment. Just managed to get the buzz down to an acceptable level and now I got too much ping. I noticed that if i put some pressure on the batter with my finger and give the snare a hit, the ping is reduced and sounds just right. I am assuming this is telling me that the ping is coming from the batter so im playing around with the batter and some gaffo tape. ALso my ambassador two ply head is worn out and the black dot is disappearing. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

User Info Menu

Another thing you can consider is a power dot head. That helps control ring. you can buy the dots and apply yourself or buy a head with one already on it. If you play brushes apply the dot on the under side of the head and re-install on the drum!

User Info Menu

i put a strip of duct tape on the batter head and another on the snare side head,worked a lil but i loosened the heads a lil and it souds horribel.i need a new drum key
    Got Chops?

User Info Menu

I still stand buy my comment to change the heads. You can stick tape all over it and it will just sound dead and lifless (chocked) another head to consider is an aquarian studio x. It will have a muffling ring around the outside of it and a dot in the middle. the whole concept of this head it to control unwanted overing.

User Info Menu

ahh i see,I might want to upgrade the head I guess since it's stock.
    Got Chops?

User Info Menu

if you upgrade the head... take the old one and cut it into a muffler-ring.

User Info Menu

Backtodrum has the right idea. Yoou can put some tape, foam, moongel on the batter head and that will help. A 2-ply head will help as well. One thing though, you will never truly get rid of ambient snare vibration...you can only learn how to work with it.

User Info Menu

To me, super cheap means $25 LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yeah...130$ didn't sound cheap for me...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkyhawkDrummer View Post
    Ok I Bought A Super Cheap Snare In 6th Grade(Im a Frosh Now)For Like $130.
    It has the stock head and eveything and it doesnt sound too bad,but no matter how tight or lose I TRY to tune it,It makes a ringy sound(w/ or w/o the internal muffler).
    The brand is "acclaim" btw,i know i know i've never heard of it either.But someone please help me so I can practice my concert music w.o the dang ringy noise.
    Any advice on what to do?
    Is the snare black in colour?

User Info Menu

Sometimes on a good day you can find a used Ludwig Supraphonic for $150. It is all the drum you will ever need

allt he best...

User Info Menu

joey jordensen did a review on the acclaim kit, ahem, he took the wires off the snare and turned it into a fourth tom. oops. i think you got a tin can.

User Info Menu

Put on an Aquarian studio X coated head and it should get rid of the ring.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheap Snare????

you could try unscrewing the snares from the snare throw-off, then loosening the snare throw-off almost all the way, then screw the snares back to the snare throw-off pulling them taut with your hand. finally tighen the snare throw-off all the way, and snares will be alot tighter.
    DRUMMERBOCK

ThePloughman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerbock View Post
    you could try unscrewing the snares from the snare throw-off, then loosening the snare throw-off almost all the way, then screw the snares back to the snare throw-off pulling them taut with your hand. finally tighen the snare throw-off all the way, and snares will be alot tighter.
    That will most certainly kill any ring in the drum. Thing is, with snares that tight, you might as well take them off.

User Info Menu

Well then dont tighten the snare throw-off all the way, tighten it to your liking. but the strings that are on the snare that connect them to the snare throw-off stretch, and this accommodates for the stretching. and the plastic stretches too.
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    Yeah...130$ didn't sound cheap for me...
    What?! snares go over $1000! buying a snare drum for $130 is a great price (unless it's a bad snare, which by looking at this whole thread, is somewhat likely). to get a nice sounding, good quality snare, i'd expect to pay [at least] $300.

but that's just me

User Info Menu

its gotta be on the bad end of things
    did anybody else catch when he said "internal muffler"
    thats a sign right there
    no quality drums will come with an internal muffler
    that being said
    you can make it sound good
    if you have a local guitar center
    they have what is called tune up tuesday
    take your drum in and they will teach you how to tune it and tune it for you
    win win =]
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Sounds like you have a snare similar to my first one: CB Percussion.
    I replaced the strainer and butt side with nicer pieces from a store that went out of business. Ayotte for $15. That made a big difference for tuning. The snare strands might be the stock ones or a Gibraltar replacement (don't remember). No noticeable difference. I threw on some different heads (few different kinds, batter and reso) and I'd hate to admit it but it almost sounds really good, with little to no ring. I took the internal muffler out and put it on another kit that I restored and refinished, so I don't have that helping me either. It actually sounded good enough to me that I threw a $20 coat of purple/green color changing paint on it.
    I don't muffle or tape my drums. Head selection and tuning is the way to go. I've got an Aquarian Hi-Energy head on one of my other snares. That might choke out the ring for you, but it's not going to be as sensitive for lighter playing.

Quote Originally Posted by rush_fan View Post
    What?! snares go over $1000! buying a snare drum for $130 is a great price (unless it's a bad snare, which by looking at this whole thread, is somewhat likely). to get a nice sounding, good quality snare, i'd expect to pay [at least] $300.

but that's just me
    I got 2 high end snares for $100 each. And I just got another killer one for like $120. Unfortunately the secret is out on the phosphor bronze ones. If I want the 14x6.5 I'm gonna pay over $300 for it
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47