Thread: Sweet Sounding Shell Pack (suggestions)

User Info Menu

Default Sweet Sounding Shell Pack (suggestions)

I'm getting ready to start looking for another drum set. All I feel I need at this point is an upgrade on my kick & toms. My current shells are 100% birch. North American Rock Maple shells would be nice, but that may be above my price point. I'll be looking for new unless I find a used kit that has been pampered. I'm not decided on what I will be willing to pay at this point, which may depend on how much I could get for my kit. Let's say $1000US. Any shell packs out there in that price range that sound pro?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sweet Sounding Shell Pack (suggestions)

for 1000 bucks i think any of the top brands will afford you a great sound. my next kit im opting for the PDP M5. 600 bucks!

User Info Menu

areFish, if you are looking for an affordable maple kit, check out the Gretsch Catalina series - which I can personally recommend, or the Mapex Meridian series. That's not to say that there aren't other worthy kits. It's just that these 2 kits would be high on my own list.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I recently picked up the pdp m5, I personally recomend it. Maple for $600US is a steal in my book

User Info Menu

Judging by the fact that you kept your unboxing video in your signature, i'm guessing you still have a lot of justifiable attachment to your stage customs. Are you sure it's what you really want?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hi areFish...

Concurring with PB's post about the Cat Maples. I have owned them and they are a very nice kit! If you are looking for N American maple, all I can say is I am LOVING my Sonor Force 3007. Those have been discontinued recently but you can still find stock at good prices (Dales Drum Shop is great BTW). The new series that replaced it is called "Select" I believe. Looks like only new lugs and finishes. The shell composition is 2/3 N American maple and 1/3 Asian maple. The finish is very high quality and I constantly get complements on the looks and sound.

Good luck and as always, post pics when/if you get a new kit!!

User Info Menu

Some good suggestions so far. I hadn't even thought of Sonor yet.

Russ, I'm not sure I want to get rid of the Yammies, but I don't have the room to be a collector either.

I've been reading on-line reviews on the DW Performance Series. They are above my current pay grade, but look to be worth saving up for.
    Last edited by areFish; 06-22-2011 at 08:27 PM.

User Info Menu

If you really want to have North American maple then I think the Sonors might be the only option in that price range new. If you're willing to look at used kits, you'll probably be able to find a set of almost-new Gretsch Renowns for about that price.
    Matt

User Info Menu

The 3007's aren't the maple you have in mind when you think north american shells, not completely anyway. The 3007's are quite a unique and interesting shell, and perhaps this is what gives them an original voice you can't find elsewhere. They actually combine canadian and chinese maple together in varying ply counts depending on which drum it is. On a bass drum you would find 3canadian/3chinese/3canadian for a 9 ply at 7.2mm thick, and for snare/toms they use 2canadian/3chinese/2canadian for a 7 ply at 5.8mm thick. Awesome kit though, never heard one that sounded bad. Sonor makes great products, even if these are done at Chinese factories instead of their German ones where they handle the upper level sets, it's still a beast.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm a bit biased but I can't say enough good things about the PDP X7 kits. They sound fantastic.

User Info Menu

Seriously...

Get a set of SONOR 3007's. They are maple and you will love the way they sound. Plus, they have some awesome finishes.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Guitar Center - used - is my next plan. I found Collectors DW's for the price of DW Performance, and DW Performance for the price of PDP's.

User Info Menu

If you can find some PDP Platinums that would be your best bet. The platinums are practically the same as the dw performance series, but cheaper and discontinued. If you could find a set from an online retailer, or from a store that still has a set or two around, you could get a great set for a great price. Other than that, you'll be hard pressed to find 100% north american rock maple (gotta love marketing hype) shells for under 1k. Otherwise, check out guitar center's used website. You can search their entire database for whichever kit you like, and then you could even have it shipped to your store or house if you want. There are some great kits out there that have been treated well that are now used.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

right now, item 106582632, PDP Platinum 4 shell pack is $699 at GC. South Carolina, and their shipping is dirt cheap. we shipped a 60lb PA setup from vegas for $6. (and got it for 1/2 price, cause it was used, still got to add the 2 year warranty, and got a $100 coupon on it!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    If you can find some PDP Platinums that would be your best bet. The platinums are practically the same as the dw performance series, but cheaper and discontinued. If you could find a set from an online retailer, or from a store that still has a set or two around, you could get a great set for a great price. Other than that, you'll be hard pressed to find 100% north american rock maple (gotta love marketing hype) shells for under 1k. Otherwise, check out guitar center's used website. You can search their entire database for whichever kit you like, and then you could even have it shipped to your store or house if you want. There are some great kits out there that have been treated well that are now used.

in all honesty, what is the biggest difference? do the PDP platinums have the interlaced weaved maple like the DW's? how many ply are they? good hardware? just wondering cause I could afford PDP platinums asap. but waiting on DW performance (new) or Collectors (used) which will take a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    in all honesty, what is the biggest difference? do the PDP platinums have the interlaced weaved maple like the DW's? how many ply are they? good hardware? just wondering cause I could afford PDP platinums asap. but waiting on DW performance (new) or Collectors (used) which will take a while.
    I don't know about the interleaving of the Plat shells, but I have heard them and man... unbelievable!!! Had I been able to find the finish and configuration I was looking for when I purchased my kit, I would have jumped on them... I really love my 3007's too but what led me to the Sonors is that I couldn't find the exact Platinums I wanted.

As much as I love DW, I am still not convinced about the Performance series floor toms... The kick and rack toms sound amazing. But every instance I have heard the floor toms, they sound real plastic-ie and slappy (if those are words). If I had to make a decision RIGHT NOW, based on MY personal information, I would probably choose Plats over Performance. But I am wishful that some Performance owners on this site would prove me wrong about the floor toms.

User Info Menu

actually the floor toms I have always felt left a little to be desired too, but I assumed it was because the heads were out of tune. perhaps that is why they are always tuned so loose at GC, to kill the res? but the FAST toms man they are AWESOME

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Some good suggestions so far. I hadn't even thought of Sonor yet.

Russ, I'm not sure I want to get rid of the Yammies, but I don't have the room to be a collector either.

I've been reading on-line reviews on the DW Performance Series. They are above my current pay grade, but look to be worth saving up for.
    I'll go back to the original topic and add that a used set of Renowns would be a great choice and they can be had for $1000. In my experience they are a worthwhile upgrade from Cats.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

While I would say the Renowns are easily the best sounding drums I own.... If I were looking for a NEW shell pack in the 1k price range I 'd be checking out a Yamaha Tour Custom.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

TC's are nice drums Dave, I agree. But having had both in the last year (the Renowns replacing the TC's) I would lean towards used Renowns over the TC's.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Assuming you find a used kit, the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes are very nice. I'm quite happy with my new Ludwig Classic Maples, which new ran me $1600ish off the top of my head for a 12-14-22 shell pack. Definately keep an ear to the ground for the used deals!
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

ThePloughman Guest

I constantly watch Stockton Craigslist, as well as Sac and Modesto. Being as I am between both, its about the same amount of drive either way. Occasionally I see things posted in your desired range.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I constantly watch Stockton Craigslist, as well as Sac and Modesto. Being as I am between both, its about the same amount of drive either way. Occasionally I see things posted in your desired range.
    I have a habit of watching Sac, Stock, Mod, Merced & Gold Country. It's fun to see what pops up.

User Info Menu

is it going to be much of an upgrade with only 1k to play with?

i think you have a sweet kit all ready

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    is it going to be much of an upgrade with only 1k to play with?
    Thanks Itchie. You said what I've been thinking. Great input all around. Thank you everyone.

The more I think about it the more I keep going back to the DW Performance. Looks like I'm going to have to save my shekels for awhile.