Thread: Mapex Pro M Drumset

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Pro M Drumset

ive been looking at this set and it looks really nice

what does anyone know about its quality? is it pro?

if anyone knows anything or has any opinion or suggestions about this set please let me know

User Info Menu

Andrea Vadrucci uses the Pro M. Anything Mapex is great, especially their Black Panther snares.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Hey I'm new here... Anyway, I've been looking at those kits also. I keep going back and forth between Mapex and Pdp. I'm just not sure whether to go with the birch or maple shells. It seems you can get a good deal on birch. I too am curious what others have to say.

User Info Menu

Birch is natrually EQed 80% of the time. Cheaper than Maple, it's like Sonic VS Mario, I'm birch.

User Info Menu

Default I have a mapex maple kit

The one i have is called an orbitor made in 04 only as a test market for the pro m so it is the same drum just a limited color run. The pro m kit is a high end entry level kit . It has single bolt lug mounts, isolation tom mounts , slick as glass lacquer finish , 2.3 mm hoops . All these things are on high end kits !! The shells are thin 5.8mm ! These drums sound very good I am 100% satisfied with them. I have not heard or seen the birch but I'm sure they are quality. I also have a saturn kit and there are only a few differences. If i can answer any questions for you let me know !

I may sell this kit as a shell set if you are interested send me a PM .
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

high end ENTRY LEVEL?

not what im looking for

User Info Menu

Its in NO way a entry level kit. I'd like you to find an entry level kit with MAPLE shells. The hardware it comes with is extremely good, except the bass pedal which is good, but not amazing. Get some new heads on there and they sound JUST as good as any other high end maple kit.

/rant
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

wow im hearing two different things about its quality...would anyone compare it to series from maybe pearl and gretsch and tama and other major brands?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    Its in NO way a entry level kit. I'd like you to find an entry level kit with MAPLE shells.
    /rant
    Here ya go...
    Ddrum Maple pocket kit. Retail: $700.00
    Bought mine used for $ 500.00
    Its not made very well... but it sounds really good.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Default Let me clear this up...

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    high end ENTRY LEVEL?

not what im looking for
    The next step up from the pro m kit is the saturn and then the top of the line mapex Orion . Look at it this way it is only 2 steps down from the best mapex makes !! I would think it would compare with a pearl mcx kit and it has a thinner shell which is what makes them resonate !! These drums are Very nice there is nothing cheaply made on them . You should go and check them out for sure !
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    The next step up from the pro m kit is the saturn and then the top of the line mapex Orion . Look at it this way it is only 2 steps down from the best mapex makes !! I would think it would compare with a pearl mcx kit and it has a thinner shell which is what makes them resonate !! These drums are Very nice there is nothing cheaply made on them . You should go and check them out for sure !
    i would not compare the pro-m with a pearl masters mcx. i would compare it to the session series (discontinued) or the new maple export (session replacement).

they are pretty nice drums with alot of good features. the finishes are great quality. i have been messing with the pearl vision series kits at my local store and am very impressed with the looks, sound, and build quality. they are birch and basswood and they have a much better sound than the old poplar wood exports.

User Info Menu

I think that Mapex offers better quality in cheaper price, at least in europe.
    I have this M5 Mapex kit since 1996 and it still looks in great condition.
    I hope soon i' ll have my new saturn kit
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

CC, I'd put the Mapex Pro M, up there with the Gretsch Catalina, maybe even slightly higher. They're both something that you can really enjoy as you continue to grow as a drummer, and they can take you into gigging without a problem. Once you're making, some money as a professional, you can move up into the truly professional kits. Until then, the Mapex Pro M is a very good kit. I do agree with 2slow, except that instead of describing it as a "high-end entry-level kit," I think I would go with "high end intermediate-level kit."

Just my thoughts on the subject.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i would not compare the pro-m with a pearl masters mcx. i would compare it to the session series (discontinued) or the new maple export (session replacement).

they are pretty nice drums with alot of good features. the finishes are great quality. i have been messing with the pearl vision series kits at my local store and am very impressed with the looks, sound, and build quality. they are birch and basswood and they have a much better sound than the old poplar wood exports.
    Didn't the mcx replace the sessions??
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

no the visions did i think

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Didn't the mcx replace the sessions??
    the mcx is a factory "in stock" masters kit, made the same way masters have always been made. however they are only made in limited masters finishes and shell pack configurations. all other sizes, finishes, and configurations are special order masters premium line.

not really consistant with what i said before, there really isnt a "replacement" for the session. what pearl did was lowered the price on the new masters mcx to just slightly higher than the session line, and released the maple export line at just under the old session price. the maple export uses the same session shell but with the corner cuts and cheap hardware of the export line.

the vision has better newly designed hardware and other than shell material (and the birch basswood combo sounds great) is a better kit than the maple export IMO.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 12-25-2007 at 09:27 PM.