Thread: An easy fix.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb An easy fix.

When I first got my new Ludwig drumset I was extremly excited, I sat at the throne and ponded the bassdrum loudly but noticed it sounded horrible, empty, hollow and echoy. Then I hit my snare and it had this same "PANG!" sound instead of the classsic sound a snare should. I found that all my peicces sounded like this exept my Zildian Cymbals which were wonderful.

My set also came with these rubber-like pads that you can place on your drums to silence them. Sou what I did was messured each drum head end to end and cut a ring in the silencing material that would fit the drum head. It INSTANLY fixed the problem. Then I placed a small bean bag chair inside my bass and it boomed wonderfully.

I also heard that old drum heads that are discarded have the same affect, if you cut the material into rings and place them on your new drum heads. Another thing I heard works is play-dough like materials rolled into 2 balls and smushed on two sides of the dum head evenly will do the trick.

ANyone else have any quick fix myths theyd like to announce?

all the best,
    Ludwig

User Info Menu

Duct Tape Baby!!

Seriously... there are all sorts of tricks to problem solving with drums. There's a lot of stuff in this forum.
    Also, check out DrumTips.com for tons of information.

Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

first of all welcome to drumchat, tons of advice and friendly people. im sure you will love it here

and yes i have done the same thing on my friends kit also, putting duct tape in a strip under a bad ride will make the ring go away and make it sound better

User Info Menu

Cool An easy fix

Ludwig!

Welcome aboard, man! As you can see from my address, I'm not all that far away from you!

If I'm not mistaken, you may be only the third DrumChatter from the metropolitan St. Louis area...so I look forward to more posts from you.

One suggestion on the play-dough type material: I wouldn't recommend actual Play-Doh, since it dries and hardens on exposure to air...if it stays soft, there shouldn't be a problem, however.

Again, welcome to Drum Chat...and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

alright cool, anyone got any other tips for quick fixes for anything related to the topic here?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Ludwig! Another "fix" for too much overtone, is a plastic ring that you can buy. Remo calls theirs "RemO's." They can be purchased in various sizes to fit the offending drum (haven't seen one for the base. This is what some of the more experienced drummers talk about when they said that you can cut an old head in a ring shape and put it on the drum head, as you mentioned. The RemO's will cost you, although not much, while the old heads are free!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Another "fix" for too much overtone, is a plastic ring that you can buy. Remo calls theirs "RemO's." They can be purchased in various sizes to fit the offending drum (haven't seen one for the base. This is what some of the more experienced drummers talk about when they said that you can cut an old head in a ring shape and put it on the drum head, as you mentioned. The RemO's will cost you, although not much, while the old heads are free!
    This Remo's ring silencer is cool...and yes....Not very expensive....
    I still haven't found one for my floor tom....
    My local music store still haven't found after they oversold it...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Cool

cut out an old floor tom head .....make yer own rings
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Im a bit confused..exactley where are these rings going and why?

sorry for stupid question.

User Info Menu

They go around the perimiter (outter edge) of the head and are about an inch in width. To better clarify, it is about an inch wide doenut that is made to fit each drum by size. It cuts down a lot of undesired overing. If you cut up your sound off pads to act the samr way that may be entirely to much dampning, making the drums sound more of a thud than a natural drum sound. I would look for the rings mentioned above. You might be more happy with that.

User Info Menu

take some of the foam tape they use for insulating around doors and windows and stick it to the inside of the top head

User Info Menu

They actually fatten the tone, by eliminating the very high discordant overtones. Make sure you don't use something that restricts your playing style. things placed on the head can sometimes get in the ways of your sticks.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: An easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman_36 View Post
    take some of the foam tape they use for insulating around doors and windows and stick it to the inside of the top head
    I've also found this to be a quick and easy fix.

User Info Menu

Default Re: An easy fix.

Hey there Ludwig and Welcome to the Forum from one Ludwig player to another. What kind of Ludwig outfit did you buy? Did you replace the stock heads with better quality heads like Remo Pinstripes or the Evans? The pinstripe has the internal sound ring already built into the head. I noticed a HUGE difference when I put these heads on my drums. The only muting I will do, on ocassion, will be with Moon Gel.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j.../FranksKit.jpg

Again, welcome and I hope we get to see you on the Chat.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Ludwig .

For the snare , you can also take a strip of material about 3-4" wide, like an old sheet and stretch it across the top of the snare under the head which will absorb that annoying ring .

User Info Menu

As others have suggested, RemO's work well to control overtones. I have used them and they are quite cheap. I have, when using brushes run into the RemO ring but it isn't a big deal. Moon gel works too although I haven't personally used it. The type of heads on the drum makes a ton of difference on overtones. I just replaced the stock Pearl Protone batter heads on my snare and toms, using Remo clear Ambassadors on the toms and after putzing around with tuning, I like the sound I'm get out of them. I had been using the RemO's on the toms but took them off when I put on the new heads. I put a coated Ambassador on the snare and find that I still need the RemO ring on it to keep the overtones under control. My snare is steel so it is ringer than a wood one. If you tune the reso head higher or lower that the batter head, you can make it seem like there are less overtones because you have reduced the amount of sustain.

User Info Menu

I started out using O-rings on my kit, but now as I've gotten better at tuning I have found that I can make the drums sound good without them. I actually think they sound better without them. It does take a little time, and experiment to learn how to get a good sound out of the drums by tuning. The O-rings and other muffling devices like moon-gel help in the interim
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

My drums have no muffling whatsoever.
    All I invested in was decent single ply heads and a tuning key and they sing like cher.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    My drums have no muffling whatsoever.
    All I invested in was decent single ply heads and a tuning key and they sing like cher.
    Thats good jimbo ,

but do they look like Cher ?

User Info Menu

lets hope they have not been "cosmetically altered" like Cher either!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse