Thread: african drum lessons - any ideas???

nutha jason Guest

Default african drum lessons - any ideas???

so i'm about to teach a semester of african drums to highschool kids in various schools and i'm putting some lesson plans together. i'll have a dozen djembes and a load of other perc stuff. there'll be about 30 pupils in a class and each lesson will be about 30 minutes long. There will be ten lessons over ten weeks.

i have a few ideas but i know you lot will have some too.

any ideas?

j

ps: the ideas don't have to be specifically african. in one of my planned lessons i'm going to get them to do a korean drum pattern. i'm looking for any ideas small or large, simple or complex.

User Info Menu

I think one of the most important things you can teach them is the history and roots of african drumming and it's evolution to where it is now. From there, basic hand technique. These two things should help set a firm foundation with which to base the rest off of.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I think one of the most important things you can teach them is the history and roots of african drumming and it's evolution to where it is now. From there, basic hand technique. These two things should help set a firm foundation with which to base the rest off of.
    Absolutely Drummer! Try to get the kids to be as creative as possible... and have them switch instruments often to get a feel for the different percussive possibilities! Most important, go into it determined to turn each one of them into a drum afficianado.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool African drum lessons--any ideas???

Check DrumBum's website...there are free lessons on most any type of drumming you want, including the djembe, for example...

http://drumbum.com/lessons/drum-less...nt/view/43/62/

and be sure to allow a lot of "hands-on" time (no pun intended)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

nutha jason Guest

thanks for the help. i've posted this plea on several forums and due to the positive response and the cool links and ideas , i've managed to put together 10 detailed lesson plans covering. here are the lesson titles and objectives.

INTRODUCTION LESSON
    SESSIONS: 1
    OBJECTIVES:
    1. Individuals explore their instruments and try to achieve at least three distinct sounds from the instrument (bass, tone and slap)
    2. Establish lesson etiquette
    3. Playing together

THE NEXT STEP
    OBJECTIVES:
    1. look at simple ways of writing and reading djembe/African drum music
    2. Further establish conducting signals
    3. use group building activity to play the drums together

THE WHIRLWIND DANCE AND OTHER WORLD MUSIC
    OBJECTIVES:
    1. explore other world music drum patterns
    2. playing unison and linear patterns accurately
    3. ensemble experience.

POLYRHYTHMS
    OBJECTIVES:
    1. to explore polyrhythms
    2. to prepare for more complex patterns

CLAVE
    OBJECTIVES:
    1. explore Latin type ensemble playing
    2. apply polyrhythmic knowledge

SWING AND BLUES
    OBJECTIVES:
    1. to explore 6/8 time and swing feel
    2. to experience where African drumming went in history when it was combined with European music.

KUKU
    SESSIONS: 2
    OBJECTIVES:
    1. to learn a traditional authentic African djembe piece

DIANSA
    SESSIONS: 2
    OBJECTIVES:
    1. to learn a traditional authentic African djembe piece

EXTRA LESSON IDEAS:
    PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
    Take all previous lessons and create with the group one large piece of music with an intro, parts and ending.

MOZAMBIQUE
    Take this pattern and make it into a djembe ensemble pattern

j

ps: the drum bum link was most helpful i got a cool djembe writing font off it thanks.

j