Thread: 3 thread, new thread

User Info Menu

Default 3 thread, new thread

Hello,

I am new in the forums, so first of all hi.

My situtation was a bit funny, here some background.

[No need of reading this if you just want to answer my questions]
    I got my first drums 6 months before moving to Germany, so i had no time to play with them at all (was kinda suddend the move). Big step from Guatemala to Germany. One of the firsts tasks was to find a church and we found a spanish speaking one which told me that they needed a drumer. I was kinda new to drums (just played once live at school) but agreed. Things went well but I never bought a drumset, just got a Yamaha DD-55 electric one. I learned a LOT from those drums and i got better time by time. Right now im the only drummer there...

I got my first drums for christmas, finally after 5 years of being an active drummer... yes, i know.

I went for a Sonor Global beat (junior set) and am really impressed with the sound it has!!! Specially the kick, it really kicks *ss, cymbals were bad so i got some low budget Zildjians (crash/ride 18' ZBT, ok, splash 8' ZXT, not that good) and also Paiste pst5 cymbals (hats 13' and crash 16' on the way). Planning to get a china in a near future.

I bought extra evans heads for toms and snare, without knowing that the drums came with good remo heads! Anyway i changed them cuz they were a bit better So i have a fair mix of brands here...
    [/No need of reading this if you just want to answer my questions]

It is my first drum set so im not used to the sound it has inside the house (a very reduced space, thats why i ordered a junior set).

My question is, is it normal to tune up the drums every week? I know how to tune drums, but i have done this just "for the moment", say before playing at church every 2 weeks (now every week) or concerts. I always played with drums that were not mine so i tuned only if they really needed it.

But mine are getting lower pitch slowly and i have to tune them back to the sound i want every 2~3 days. Is this normal for new heads? Im getting tired of tunning every time, cuz its not easy to find the note by ear ( i tune my drums according to their size with a normal chromatic scale, ive been taught so).

User Info Menu

I think it may take some time to break in the new heads... if that's not it though, I'd say that perhaps your lugs are slipping or something.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

CP, it just sounds like the heads are stretching a bit. Did you push down on the heads after you first fitted the rim? If you did, that would "seat" them and keep the "stretching" to a minimum, if not then it could account for what is happening to you.

Of course, another thing could be changes in temperature. Does the temperature in the house change much? I'm just thinking that some people let the temperature in the house go down while they are asleep, and then bump the temperature back up in the morning. That wouldn't affect an e-kit , but it would affect an acoustic kit.

Just some thoughts for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thanks for the replies guys!

i see that the thread was finally posted, but double... my bad.

About the drums, i did push the heads, but i think that its the combination of the heads being new and what you said PastorBob. This past weeks my room has been pretty cold during nights. I will wait a week to see if this continues.

Thanks for bringing some light to this problem