Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completely Disgusted Part II.

User Info Menu

Default Completely Disgusted Part II.

It was suggested that I post some pics of my set, and that maybe those pics could give you guys some insight into what might be going wrong that is causing me to break so much gear.

I must admit, Im in a pretty bad mood right now... because at band practice to tonight, just before we finished... the toe stop on my right Tama Iron cobra bass pedal came fyling off. I did not bother to look and see if it broke, or just cam unscrewed. At this point, Im ready to change back to DW 9000 pedals, even though I hate their feel. At least I have never broken one single part of them in many years of playing. The iron cobras are less than two weeks old.

Anyway...

Here's some pics. I deas and input are appreciated. If anything stands out as odd... let me know.
    I dont know how relavent it is... but Im 6'5".

Hopefull the mic cord taped to the ground in the piocs, is not too distracting. Its for my vocal mic.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Matt
    Matt G.
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

well i think i understand how you broke the conecting rods with your snare stand positiond like that it will slide so that its under the conecting rod and cause it to have some fricktion aganst it with the force you play at it may cause them to snap i can offer three sugjestions 1. build the snare horse 2 place it so the legs are over the conecting rod. 3. get a gibralter stand with extendible boom place it out of the way and boom your snare to your lap.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Hmmm, 6'5", is a fighter of some kind. I think it really just comes down to you're hitting way to hard, putting way to much energy into the drums. While this isn't a bad thing, but with your build it could easily be too much for the drums to take.

I don't use the toe stoppers because I like to get right up there for my heel-toe stuff.

User Info Menu

Matt, your kit look set up just fine. I could get on there and play very comfortably by the looks of it. I have my snare positioned the same way around my pedal rod and have had my pedals for over two years...and they are cheap dixons no where near the durability of those cobras or dw's.

I agree with Roger.

Question for ya if ya dont mind me asking. When you play, do you pound through the cymbals and drums and pedals or do you use lighter snapping motions with your hands and feet?

Also, maybe if you posted a video, that would help us give you more suggestions. But I seriously think its a power and technique thing goin on
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I don't see a problem. I'm also 6'5" and have my pedal/snare setup the same way.
    6-piece Pearl Export Series
    -Sabian/Zildjian
    -DW5000 double-bass pedals
    -Ahead aluminum drum sticks!

User Info Menu

ok i was just takeing a guess, but it looks like im wrong on this one and it probably has nothing to do with that.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

something I didn't think of before...
    If your skins are too tight, they will break quite easily.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ATC View Post
    I don't see a problem. I'm also 6'5" and have my pedal/snare setup the same way.
    As someone who is 5'9" last time I checked and I am probably 6' now I feel short around you people.

User Info Menu

Im 6f too :P The cymbals you break. Are they the high ones or the low ones or all... Because if its just the high ones. Maybe there too high? and the angle of your hit is wrong on them?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I have that same snare stand and I can't imagine being able to hit my snare hard enough to move it. I've got to say you really must lay into it to get it to creep. Mine is a stable as can be to the point of over engineered to me. didn't I read earlier that you built a riser? If you are, why not screw some stops around the snare stand legs to hold them in place. All of your hardware is top notch I don't think that you are going to find anything else as strong as you alredy have to take the punishment!

User Info Menu

Q. in relation positioning...do you sit straight on with the kick, with your body facing forward? or straight on with your snare, with your body facing slightly to your left? are your feet straight on with the pedals? while things appear somewhat in the traditional positions, to me, this does not look like a very efficiant symetrical setup. the angles put your pedal strokes where the pressure on the pedals is applied in ways they were not designed for. if you are straight on the kick, it puts your left foot too far back. and if you are straight on with the snare, it puts you right foot at too much of an angle across the pedalboard. a double pedal setup in the traditional config is a little different as far as pedal placement goes. IMO, you cannot get a two bass drum feel when you are facing straight forward on the kick. with a good dbl kick setup the pedals and snare should be your center point. a couple things to try...

start with the pedals to where your feet are comfortable and the pedalboards are at equal distance and angle with your torso facing straight forward. then place your snare stand and snare between your legs (at a safe distance from dbl pedal crossbar) where it is symatrical and comfortable. this should make an almost a perfect triangle, with you at the point. then ad the kick drum. it will be angled slightly outward. think of when you see a two kick setup where the drummer is facing straight forward, the kick drums are angled away from each other with the snare right in the middle. you want that same symetrical setup. that is the foundation of good dbl kick setup. you can place toms and cymbals where comfortable from there.

also, try lowering your cymbals a little bit. i like mine about shoulder level. i see they are angled a little bit, thats good. maybe try a little more.

User Info Menu

I dont see anything out of the ordinary in any of the pictures . Being that you are having several different problems breaking cymbals , heads and hardware , I would think you are just playing way too hard. Good luck .

User Info Menu

Vegas, when you hit that hard do the drums sound okay or do they choke?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    As someone who is 5'9" last time I checked and I am probably 6' now I feel short around you people.
    well chalk another one up for the tall people
    6 foot 6 here
    about 260 pounds
    athletic build
    i like long walks on the beach
    candlelight dinners
    and cuddling up in front of the fire while creating a bit of fire between me and the person im with
    okay ill behave bahaha

User Info Menu

Take a camcorder and set it up and record yourself playing and the snare creeping are you pressing against it and making it creep then watch the recording and see whats going on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    well chalk another one up for the tall people
    6 foot 6 here
    about 260 pounds
    athletic build
    i like long walks on the beach
    candlelight dinners
    and cuddling up in front of the fire while creating a bit of fire between me and the person im with
    okay ill behave bahaha
    Uh KJ, you just had every woman viewing Drum Chat head right for your profile to see how they could contact you!!!! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leeman_36 View Post
    Take a camcorder and set it up and record yourself playing and the snare creeping are you pressing against it and making it creep then watch the recording and see whats going on
    Leeman, I think you have hit on the definitive solution. Vegas, shoot us a video so we can really see your playing style, then we'll stop guessing. Of course I suspect the real problem is the color if the drums!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

PB!!!! Its a kewl colour i love it! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool Completely disgusted Part II

Quote Originally Posted by leeman_36 View Post
    Actually, Matt, leeman's suggestion might also show you (from an outsider's view) what else you're doing to break so many things. If you're playin' too hard, you'll see it from a different angle...

(BTW, I may be one of the shortest adult drummin' dudes here...I'm 5'4", and compared to some of you guys, I feel like a shrimp! )
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    PB!!!! Its a kewl colour i love it! :>
    No sweat Stevo, I think the color is cool too! I was just joking with Matt a bit.

User Info Menu

so was i :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    so was i :P
    Kewl!

User Info Menu

Got that vid yet vegas?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Hey guys... Im not ignoring this thread... Im just trying a few things before I reply with an update.

Steve, for the life of me, I cant figure out how to get vids from my camera to my computer. Im not much of a computer guy. Its obvious in my typing! LOL

Matt
    Matt G.
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE