Thread: FYI Traps Drumset

User Info Menu

Default FYI Traps Drumset

Just thought I'd let you guys know. Drum Bum is now carrying the new Traps Drumset. This thing is some kinda cool!

http://store.drumbum.com/skuDS-25.html

Later...

User Info Menu

Cool, I've never seen these. Is this from the same company that makes the Arbiter Flats?
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

i think they look horrible .....sorry just an opinion ....they look like an electronic kit .,and i hate those too .acoustic drums should have shells imo.

dave

User Info Menu

nice!

User Info Menu

They look like they might have too much ring...

Still look cool though.

User Info Menu

The company that made the original rims system used to have a set of these. Can't think of their name. But they were cool. I don't know how they would sound live but they seem like it would be a great secondary kit or practice kit.

User Info Menu

I agree with pinkfloyd.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lezzledrummer
    I agree with pinkfloyd.
    well i`m glad somone does i thought they`d all gone freaking mad....looks like somthing you buy the kids for xmas and ends up in the loft before january.bloody horrid thing !

dave

User Info Menu

They're definitely not for everyone. I was surprised how good they sound though for what they are. They've doubled the head on the bass drum kit so it beefs it up a little. I would still use a regular snare with it. I think theyr'e going to put some sound samples up in a few days.

User Info Menu

-.-:i'd feel weird playing behind a set of those...especialy at a gig,
    i think a acoustic kit looks awsome on stage as appossed to a eletronic or shelless one...
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

it would probably be great for prac....very spacially efficient

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chiko
    -.-:i'd feel weird playing behind a set of those...especialy at a gig,
    i think a acoustic kit looks awsome on stage as appossed to a eletronic or shelless one...
    I agree. I would only feel comfortable playing it in a "very" small club or restaurant where you're stuck in a corner somewhere. I'm gonna be trying it out so I'll give a full report.

User Info Menu

Question FYI Traps Drumset

They remind me of the REMO Rims set that was popular for a while in the late '70's and early '80's. I recall seeing a drummer play a Rims set at an outdoor pool party and they didn't sound bad at all. In fact, if they had been tuned to a little higher pitch than a normal drumset, they would have sounded a bit like Roto-Toms.

As Utopia points out, they wouldn't take up a lot of space for practice or, like drummer noted, if you're in a small club or restaurant. They might even work in a church setting, because they don't seem to take up much more space than, say, the congas and bongos I use with my church's guitar group (I have never used my full drum set because it would take too much room, my love of hand percussion notwithstanding!) Might be worth considerin'...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: FYI Traps Drumset

Very thin, must be extremely high.
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

No different than roto toms which can be tuned low or high...

Neil Peart used to use a similar one as a warm up kit (watch the Rush in Rio DVD)...

I think it would be great to have for quick practice jams or extremely small stages.

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5PDVEqYgaM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5PDVEqYgaM[/ame]

User Info Menu

Would look funny at a huge gig!
    [FONT="System"]Ludwig Accent Cs 5 piece(power setup)
    Pst 5 14 Hats
    Pst 5 16 crash
    Pst 5 20 ride
    Planet Z 18 crash\ride
    Pst 5 China 18
    Pst 5 10 splash

ThePloughman Guest

I once owned a set of these. I sold them, and sadly, I wish I had not done so. They work. Great practice kit. Great kit for the super small venue where too much sound isnt good. And yes, Neil does use them.

User Info Menu

I would pay about $400 for a kit like this if they included a set of mesh heads and some rubber or plasticized brass practice cymbals.