Thread: MINI MOSTER BOOK of ROCK DRUMING

User Info Menu

Default MINI MOSTER BOOK of ROCK DRUMING

has anyone used this book?

User Info Menu

I do. I think it is good for a beginner if one have the patience to go through all the combinations. It gives you a good exposure to the basic combinations, normal and odd time signatures, and rudiments. My instructor actually expands the exercises by mixing/substituting the basic hhat, snare and bass with the toms, cymbals and cowbell. It is frustrating sometimes because I will spend weeks on one page because of endless combinations.

User Info Menu

ya im still on the first page

im trying to self teach.

the beats arnt hard but so i noticed its hard to combind them together.

do u think i should just take the book page by page or what?

User Info Menu

The 4/4 time (first several pages) progressively increases in difficulty but one thing good about it is that it builds up from the previous exercises. Following the page sequence seems logical when learning. There are occasional areas where there seems to be no logic but overall it can be followed page by page. On these non-progressive parts my instructor jumps from page to page so I can start from easy exercises and gradually build up on it. Rothman probably have his own teaching system when he wrote the book.

User Info Menu

In the 4/4 time exercises using 8th notes, these are basic beats and I'm essentially limited to the snare, hhat, and base, except for the the occasional crash/ride hit on downbeat of 1. The combinations beyond those 3instruments happened when I started using sixteenth notes, odd time meters, and rock breaks(drum fills). I was encouraged to make reasonably sounding combinations and be creative using the entire drumset as long as I don't screw up the timing.

User Info Menu

ya im starting to get it down, its pretty cool, i like it .

ill probably have some questions about it later!

User Info Menu

I'll have to look into this book. It sounds pretty interesting.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Can anyone post the ISBN for me? Thanks!

*Edit*

Nevermind...found it.
    Last edited by ATC; 01-10-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    6-piece Pearl Export Series
    -Sabian/Zildjian
    -DW5000 double-bass pedals
    -Ahead aluminum drum sticks!

User Info Menu

Yeah Rothman has another good book called Basic Drumming which is an excellent book. I started on that but even an experienced drummer would appreciate it.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I havent heard of this before. would it be good for someone established?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

ya its really a fun book.its good for anyone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    I havent heard of this before. would it be good for someone established?
    It is a good place to pick up some patterns for your riffs if you are tired of your standard ones. As I go along my instructor would occasionally tell me that what I am playing is the riff or pattern used by the drummer of this x band. This is not a pure rock book since a few can be used in jazz, latin or ballroom music. I am not quite familiar with drumming patterns of these last three types of music but I'll find it out soon since I am finishing up this book and moving to the fundamentals of jazz.

Overall, it is still a book for the novice and not really sure if it will satisfy an advanced drummer. It is a simple book but a good instructor can get a lot from it by mixing up the combinations of instruments to play. A one measure pattern of simple snare drum fill can have so many variations if it is mixed with the rest of the drumset.