Thread: Poll on METAL

User Info Menu

Default Poll on METAL

for all you metal heads like me im curious as to what kind of metal you all enjoy most
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Swedish Death Metal

User Info Menu

all these new weirs names ....god i can`t keep up with them .

i like stuff like soulfly ...if that helps ....although i don`t play metal *yet*

User Info Menu

I still like the classic metal, probably because I'm old.

Not a big fan of hair metal though, too poppy.

User Info Menu

hair metal ??????? you got to be kidding ...hahaha ....god that sounds REALLY tough ..hahahahaha

dave

User Info Menu

Hair metal were bands like Warrant, Poison, Bon Jovi; all the pretty boys who dressed up like girls.

When they added keyboards and hairspray to metal, their most popular, best selling records were the big METAL BALLADS with lots of hooks.

It brought metal to the mainstream and put them on the radio play lists.

I am sure the record companies had a lot to do with it.

I still like the harder stuff they played.

Rich

User Info Menu

in my day they were soft rock bands ....or stadium rock...lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumMajor
    Hair metal were bands like Warrant, Poison, Bon Jovi; all the pretty boys who dressed up like girls
    In MY day, we called that butt rock!!!

I'm more into the the drop D, low, heavy stuff as apposed to speed metal.

My favs: Coal Chamber, Damage Plan, Disturbed, Ill Nino, Korn, Machinehead, Meshuggah, Mudvayne, Pantera, Sevendust, Skindred, Slipknot, and Tool.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I caught disturbed at ozzfest over the summer...killer show.....i would love to see meshuggah

User Info Menu

Can't stand metal. Why am I in here?
    , nothing personal
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumMajor
    Hair metal were bands like Warrant, Poison, Bon Jovi; all the pretty boys who dressed up like girls.

When they added keyboards and hairspray to metal, their most popular, best selling records were the big METAL BALLADS with lots of hooks.

It brought metal to the mainstream and put them on the radio play lists.

I am sure the record companies had a lot to do with it.

I still like the harder stuff they played.

Rich
    Nowadays, some people are calling Van Halen and Dio hair metel. What the...? Was Ozzy hair metal too? It seems some use that derisive term to discount everything that happened from '80-'92. Say what you will about that time period, but back then singers could sing, and guitarists had something to say with their music. They didn't have to tune down to hide behind the bassist and drummer.

I went and saw some young bands play a few weeks back and one group really typifies to me what the whole nu-metal/grunge/drop D thing has brought us. They had three, count 'em, THREE " guitarist", but none of them would know a blues scale (or any other kind of scale) if it bit them on the butt. Where's your freak'n lead guitarist boys?! Oh, and by the way, that kid doing the Cooky Monster impresonation...er...I mean your singer, stinks!!

Call me old, but I still think a good song has melody and at least one hook. Bring back the riffs!

User Info Menu

OOOHHHHH, where do I begin... I could write ALL DAY about this...
    I, for one, am a fan of almost everything from the hair bands to speed metal to 80's hardcore (NYHC). (I was friends with skid row, I used to hang out with the manager to Agnostic Front, I was friends with the singer of Spread Eagle-they were signed with MCA, I was asked by Blas Elias of Slaughter to evaluate the sound check of his kit before the concert-place opened for the crowd. It was just me, him, the sound-man, and the roadie in the place. I even attended a birthday party/concert for/by Vince Neil). I saw Type-O-Negative in an indoor skate park when they first started. I also saw Alice in Chains in a LITTLE BAR when "Man in the Box" first came out. My friends' band opened up for them. My step-daughter is friends with/goes to school with Escape the Fate, who got signed during the summer.
    I think that they need to bring back guitar solos in the songs. I agree with ROADDEBRIS on a lot of points. Don't they know how to play (besides chords)? By the way, they need to bring back power chords! I do like several of the groups 1DrumBum listed too.
    The groups I don't like are; slow, mellow groups like Pink Floyd. I also don't like Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Greatful Dead. I give all of them all the credit in the world, it's just not for me. I also don't care for the whole rap-rock thing... Rap is like nails-on-a-chalk-board to me, so DON'T mix them.
    Overall, wheather it's Cinderella, Ratt, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Tool, Slipknot, Slayer, Cro-Mags, D.R.I., Mercyful Fate, Godsmack, Mudvayne, etc, etc, etc... if it's a driving sound, I'm into it!!! (Sorry the post is so long)
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    ... if it's a driving sound, I'm into it!!! (Sorry the post is so long)
    I wish I would have said that. Nearly all the music that I really love has that drive. Drive and big dynamic swings really do it for me. If they just try to club me in the face with it all the it becomes numbing. I love it when a song lures you into a false sence of security; a nice quiet mournful little ditty. Then just when you're drifting off to you're little day dream WHAM a scorching pick rake and everybody piles in! They had a ton of that in the 70's.

User Info Menu

I've always found myself leaning towards the heavest, hardest song from each group I like. Reguardless of the group. For example;
    Slayer - Angel of Death
    Iron Maiden - Where Eagles Dare
    Judas Priest - Riding on the Wind
    Queensryche - The Needle Lies
    Ozzy - Bark at the Moon
    Cro-Mags - World Peace
    Skid Row - Slave to the Grind
    Nuclear Assault - Vengeance

It has to have that driving beat - it's almost like a flood comming at you - like a giant wave of rushing water when a dam bursts... That power of the water when it picks you up and takes you away...

User Info Menu

i dont think anyone really minds that your post was long as hell longer is better i think, i like all metal of all kind exept grindcore thats hardly even music to me, i probably should have said what i like when i made this thread
    Eskimos

SickDrummer Guest

You guys can check out my site and get a real taste of current metal drumming and the incredible "new school" speeds and styles these guys are displaying. Listen to Justin Rousselle!! WoW

User Info Menu

wow, is right! Unbelievable feet! My legs would fall off... ha-ha...

User Info Menu

anybody here heard of bullet for my valentine, funeral for a friend, atreyu etc? theyr getin quite big ova here in the uk wot about the states?

User Info Menu

they`re doing kinda good here too
    about about the poll all i have to say is thrash(speed) metal
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

i like metal that has a unique sound
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I like Bullet for my Valentine. They're all over the radio, here in Vegas. That drummer does some preity cool bass work. My step-daughter is friends with Escape the Fate which is opening for them here.

User Info Menu

i like Atreyu...they were at Ozzfest this year