Thread: Thinking about going back to a single kick

User Info Menu

Default Thinking about going back to a single kick

Hmm, yea, I think im tired of a double bass pedal, its starting to get to me

I know the 402 isnt the best, but i just feel, like, the left foot, you have to push harder, for less, and, its just slower and such, i would much prefer the feel of a second single kick there, but anyway

Im thinking about a single kick again, so i can get better with my high hat foot, and just, yea, And a single kick, you can do a lot with, especially a high quality single

What would you guys concider, Im thinking about an iron cobra single, what do you guys think

Or is it just the 402? Like, would it feel more like a double bass instead of a double bass PEDAL with a better and higher brand?

Shazane Guest

It's probably harder with the left because your right was the primary foot and it's stronger for it, I've used double almost all the time and they feel just about even. That, or you could alter the spring tension to make the left a little easier.

You can just use the right even while having a double anyway though. Or you could just use the hihat pedal AND double bass pedal like Akira Jimbo.

User Info Menu

Default Thinking about going back to a single kick

The IRON COBRA Is A Very Hot Pedal thats what I use ,
    HP900RSW ROLLING GLIDE Double, these are very Smooth Fast Action,
    I love these Pedals
    I suggest you try them all as tama ,yamaha,dw,Axis,they all make great Pedals as you Probaly already know,.I am sure you will find A Hot Very Fast
    Smooth Pedal * hope the Best for you..
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

The IRON COBRA Is A Very Hot Pedal thats what I use ,
    I must agree with this....Although I use Pearl P199 on my kick....It's not as special as Iron Cobra...But I think it's good, and coming with the best price...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I use my double pedal almost exclusivly for endings etc. In the bands I play for none of the music really require its use. I do enjoy it for practising limb independance excercises, But I could live without it am sure! It is fun to blow off a second or two on an ending with it though.

User Info Menu

I would suggest the Pearl Eliminator 2001C, it is better than the iron cobra (my opinion).
    Mapex has good pedals too
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

DW 5000 or 9000, I love mine!

User Info Menu

i wouldnt do away with the double
    i would just focus on saving to get a better one
    and in the mean time play with the spring tensions
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

I went back to a single kick for a while when I was trying to teach myself heel-toe just to see how fast I could get my single kick playing. Then I did the same with my left foot, somewhat harder playing with a closed hi-hat and playing bass patterns when both things are controlled by the same foot lol.

User Info Menu

I definitely recommend the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide double pedal.

I've only just started using it and I am experiencing the same thing you are, with the left foot being difficult however I'm putting that down to the fact that my right foot has had four years head start on my left! I'm sure with practise it'll get more even and smooth.

I must say, since getting the double pedal I can't see myself going back to single. I used to be under the impression that the only thing Doubles were really good for was Metal beats using the single stroke role but that's just not true at all. There are so many options available with two kicks to add little flicks into your grooves and it opens up loads of options for fills.

Test out a few pedals, like I say I think the Cobra Rolling Glide plays like a dream but try the other suggestions on this thread too and see which works best for you
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Can double pedal work on 18 bass?

all the best...

User Info Menu

A double pedal could work on any bass drum. It may just look a little small on a 28" bass :P.

User Info Menu

yeh, true i guess, but, personally, I would rather have a good single pedal, than a crappy double, and i cant afford a good single, plus, in a year or so when i get a job, im gonna end up saving up for a double bass drumset anyway, so why should i drop 300 bucks for a good double pedal, when i can just drop an extra 150 for a second pedal after i buy a better drumset

just my thinking at least

User Info Menu

there is an axis single kick going on ebay at the moment thats only a couple of hundred au.... I would get that but i want the double kick.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

From all the replies the message is that you get what seems best for you. There is merit in keeping what you have and exercising your left foot. I played a SpeedKing single pedal for 40 years...still have it and use it on occasion. I bought the tama Iron Cobra PowerGlide single pedal and really like its smoothness and action. Initially, it was hard for me to get used to. I play a 20" kick and the pedal was almost to big. The more I played with it the more I came to appreciate it.

User Info Menu

i think you need to ask yourself what kinda drummer you want to be too.. yes a double can be nice for chops and ofcourse in metal, but i mean check out Gerald Heyward he has the heaviest right foot in the buisness today! and check out the other drummers on the Gospel/RNB/hiphop scene, they are all single pedal players, personally a good funky fast right foot is just more appealing than a double pedal thing for me.. i don't know why but it just kinda has it's own thing. i must say i keep away from the double pedal in my own playing whilst on on the stage cos i feel i'm .. can i say this... ''just a drummer'' and it's all about the groove baby!!
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Think of it like if you purchase a greater quality single kick, you can just get a conversion kit later. That would give you alot of time to let the basics and complexities of only using a single kick sink in before you decide to practice doubles again.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

You guys make me feel so inadequate. I look down at my ancient Gretsch floating action and go yeeesh! I'm missing out on the good life!

all the best...