Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My project-stain

User Info Menu

Default My project-stain

alright so today i was super bored and decided to do something i have been wanting to do for a while now. i stripped my snare drum of its wrap and all of its hardware and everything and i am going to stain it. im thinking of a red kind of stain from those gretsch rosewood kits because i have a wine red set. heres some pictures and please give me your input

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.p...a80eca1c32.jpg

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.p...69cf89dd7c.jpg

User Info Menu

Cool CC! Aside from the color, what stain are you thinking of using? Are you thinking of a basic Minwax, or do you have another stain in mind?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

im not really sure PB, i really want a kind of rosewood color but i really dont know how to stain at all, so any tips on that would be great, or i might just keep it natural but coat it, i dont know

User Info Menu

You might check with some of the sites that sell drum parts for building drums. I have seen some sites where they sell stains and lacquers, such as this one: http://www.buy-safe.net/1-800-NEW-DR...hells.htm&-new

Might give you a few ideas.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey coke, Minwax stain will work just fine. The stains that most other companies use are pretty much the same thing, they just have their label on them. Make sure when you do stain it, use a rag to rub the stain in, don't use a brush! This will give you a more even color as you can rub it in until you hit the exact color you want. When it is dry, go over it with some extra fine steel wool to smooth out any imperfections. Clean it off with a soft rag.

As for lacquer, I would suggest 2-3 coats using a fine boar bristle brush and using #0000 ultra fine steel wool in between coats to give the lacquer some depth and an ultra high gloss. After the last coat. buff it and wax it and you'll be good to go!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

well i looked at that minwax website and learned how to stain

but then i looked at this site and this is the color i was looking for
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

how do i use a rag to rub it in?
    and what does steel wool do? would it be like sanding it?

User Info Menu

That's a nice color! I like it! It looks like a cherry / redwood kind of color.

As for using a rag to stain, just dip a little bit of the rag into the stain and rub it in. Start out with just a little. You can always make it darker if it is too light, but you can't make it lighter if it is too dark.

Steel wool is kind of like sanding, but on a much finer scale. Ultra fine steel wool will give you a smoother finish than sandpaper could ever dream of doing(i know, there is wet sanding to achieve a super smooth finish, but it is wet!) It will not scratch the surface, just remove the dust and any imperfections that happen during each clear coat.

You should check out some furniture finishing sites if you are not sure what to do. They usually have some good tips and tricks to get that super glassy finish that looks really deep.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

yeah thats what i did. having a lacquer would be so sweet, i just dont have the resources or manpower to do it

User Info Menu

Hm that colour looks like a light jarrah..... It would be cool once you done it.

Hey my grandfather is a painter. If you want me to ask him how to do something let me know and ill ask him a question/s
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

really? cool
    yeah if you could, ask him if i need to wood condition luan or mahogany before staining it

User Info Menu

i should point one thing out.... Were australian. I dunno if he would have ever worked with mahogany....... As an educated guess... If your surface is smooth and how you want it. You just put your stain on. your wood will suck it up because its dry. My pop aint around atm. Im not at home. But by condition do you mean sanding and that?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

no you apply a pre stain conditioner that is supposed to do something, i donno

User Info Menu

Pre-stain conditioner is used for soft woods such as pine of fir. It hardens the softer density grain to make the entire piece of wood take stain evenly. With luann or mahogany, you don't need it.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

thank you 1db

User Info Menu

Staining is the easy part its the finish you want to worry about,
    wax or laquer. I would check out a furniture refinishing shop or a piano restoration guy, or a french polisher. Most of these guy's are hands on down to earth peeps I'm sure they would be happy to give you advice.

User Info Menu

or goto an antique store. Alot of those guys are heavily into restoring. My mates dad is. And my mates taken on board alot of restoring too. They would know how to make something look they way you want :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    or goto an antique store. Alot of those guys are heavily into restoring. My mates dad is. And my mates taken on board alot of restoring too. They would know how to make something look they way you want :>
    Is that the same mate or a different mate...mate. and how is your shiela me old mate. I love the aussies. great stuff dude i mean err mate.

User Info Menu

so i went and got some stain and polyurethane today at the local hardware store. i went with red oak, and its a little bit more brown than anticipated, but it will still look really good, it will look a lot classier instead of a brighter red. ill post pics after staining, which will probably be sometime tomorrow
    Last edited by coke_can; 01-28-2008 at 08:16 PM.

User Info Menu

so i stained it today and it looks really good, ill put some polyurethane on it and put all the hardware back on it and post some pics most likely tomorrow

User Info Menu

alright guys i have some pics, and let me tell you i couldnt be happier with the results. im so proud of myself for actually doing all this work and i think it looks great. heres some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Way to go Coke, looks nice!

User Info Menu

thanks i worked hard and really am proud of myself, and it sounds so much better without the wrap, the shell resonates, not the pvc!

User Info Menu

Looks great! I think I like that darker finish even better!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads