Thread: Drumset Upgrade

User Info Menu

Default Drumset Upgrade

I currently have a Tama Swingstar drumkit with 2 extra Westbury toms. I want to sell my kit, and get a Zildjian Custom A cymbal pack. I've been looking for new drumkits, and the 2 that stick out in my mind so far are the Mapex M Birch 6 Piece(Free tom) and the Pacific FS Series.

Mapex - http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...8/2/387082.jpg

Pacific - http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...3/3/471233.jpg

Does anyone have any of the kits and can anyone provide any reviews on either?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumset Upgrade

Both are nice kits.
    I play Mapex and i' m very satisfied
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Both kits are really well made for the money, so I guess it boils down to color. Which ever one you choose you can't go wrong.

User Info Menu

The Mapex has an extra tom but the finish on the Pacific is beautiful in my eyes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeey View Post
    The Mapex has an extra tom but the finish on the Pacific is beautiful in my eyes.
    If it helps you I have a PDP LX Kit that I love. The difference is my shells are maple, where as the shells you are looking at are poplar. But I have been extremely satisfied with my kit and have gigged it steadily for the better part of the last five years and haven't had a single problem with it. The Mapex's are fine drums as well, but I am not sure what their shells on that kit are made of, but either way you should have a great kit.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 02-21-2008 at 04:58 PM.

User Info Menu

The Mapex drumkit is made out of Birch wood.

User Info Menu

Birch is punchier than the poplar and is a more desired shell wood for recording because it is a little brighter (more attack). If I could only have those two kits, and I could not have maple, I would choose the birch over the poplar.

User Info Menu

Any other great kits for $1000?

ThePloughman Guest

Im sure if you look at used kits, you can find something droolishly delicious for under a thousand that probably cost more than three. I did.

User Info Menu

PDP CX's Maple shells, I think you could get an MX for around that price too!

User Info Menu

Sonor Force 3007 Maple shell pack for $999.00. A step or two above what you have been pricing. Oh yea, at MF

Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

beautiful drums but they are just a shell pack. No hardware, I think he needs hardware too.

User Info Menu

Wheres the best place to look for drums, my mom won't trust eBay :(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeey View Post
    Wheres the best place to look for drums, my mom won't trust eBay :(
    Mikeey, look in your own hometown. Check the local traders posts.

User Info Menu

OK, I can't stand it, I've got to put in a plug for the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. You can get this kit for $699 as a shell pack, and that gives plenty of room in your $1,000 budget to get hardware. BTW, the Catalina Maple plays like a dream, and still comes as a 6 piece set (2 up and 2 down) with the free 16X16 floor tom. The Catalina series also comes with ash shells for about $100 less. The ash kit replaces the discontinued birch kit, and it sounds similar to the birch to me.

Here's a picture of my babies!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm with Pastor Bob the Gretsch Maple would be a great option for new in that price range (shells are about $700). There is a gibraltor hardware pack available for about $260.00.

You can find some real gems used, I would see what you can find used locally, that you can try out and inspect very carefully, and if you don't find anything you like used, I would check out the Gretsch. I have a the Catalina set in Birch and think it's great.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    OK, I can't stand it, I've got to put in a plug for the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. You can get this kit for $699 as a shell pack, and that gives plenty of room in your $1,000 budget to get hardware. BTW, the Catalina Maple plays like a dream, and still comes as a 6 piece set (2 up and 2 down) with the free 16X16 floor tom. The Catalina series also comes with ash shells for about $100 less. The ash kit replaces the discontinued birch kit, and it sounds similar to the birch to me.

Here's a picture of my babies!
    Can’t argue with that. The Catalina Maple kit has received great reviews and at a great price. If the Sonor kit I mentioned is more than you can afford take a good look at the Gretsch kit.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

The Sonor kit is really nice, I've been looking around for used kits around my area, but I think I'd rather go to music stores and try many kits out until I find one I want.

User Info Menu

i brought a sonor cymbal stand... very durable and heavy..... so i would say good hardwear. Dunno about the kits though
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Mikey, any kit you choose on the mid to pro lines will be fine instruments. You can't go wrong with anybody's stuff really.

User Info Menu

the catalina maples do indeed sound great. i think the sonor 3007 is the best "built" kit under a grand. but i still think the catalina nudges it out in the sound catagory.