Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ddrum and pdp sets

User Info Menu

Default ddrum and pdp sets

I'm looking at getting a new set sometime soon and I've been seeing alot more of ddrum and pdp sets.

Is there anyone that plays either of these?
    If so what do you like most/least about them?

User Info Menu

Default Re: ddrum and pdp sets

Pearldrummer, I started with a ddrum D2 kit. It was entry level to say the least, but as it turned out it was fun to play, and it really wasn;t too bad for an entry level kit. It didn't take me too long to realize that I was serious about my playing, and I upgraded to a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, and the difference in tone, and projestion was tremendous.

I know that the word around here is that the bearing edges on the ddrum kits are suspect, so people are advising to stay away from ddrum. The PDP kits have a very good reputation as a solid intermediate kit. If I were you, I would decide what type of sound I liked first. You'll just have to get to a music store (take you own sticks) and hit a few drums. Make sure you find out what wood each kit is made of, so you can compare the sounds. My preference was an all maple shell, because I liked the warm sound that the maple shells have. Other here prefer all birch shells, and some prefer blended wood shells. It all depends on what your ears like. Once you narrow down the sound that you like, you'll begin to narrow down the manufacturers to those that produce the kind of drum shell that you are looking for.

I hope that helps.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

yes I agree with you completly
    I've been playing for at least 5 years and 3 years steady
    I have an entry level Pearl kit, and i really want to expand to something more high end

I play mostly rock/metal and want something that will give me a deeper, wamer tone than the poplar i'm playing with now. I know maple is very popular and i believe thats what i would like to play.

I was at Guitar Center and Sam Ash today looking and playing some of the sets. If not ddrum, would it be worth buying pdp? Or just going straight to dw? Because I did have my eye on some dw's

They had a nice dw set for around 2 grand, give or take, that was all maple
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

PD, if you can go the 2 grand for the all maple DW kit, I'd say go for it! you wouldn't go wrong with the DW's! If you're looking to save a few bucks to buy more cymbals, or whatever, then the Pacific kits have several series that feature all maple shells.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

PD i would say your after a Dw or a PDP kit. I know many metal drummers use PDP locally. Mainly because of the cost in having a 7.8.9 piece kit. If you want the warmer tone then mapel is definatly what you want.

Have you tried a pearl reference? what did you think? Or a mapel masters?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I was also looking at the Pearl reference aswell
    I do really like thoes
    They didn't have one set up that I could play though
    I don't believe they had a maple master set up either

The only reference series drums i've seen come with a really heafty price tag though, I've only seen them around 4 thousand. Can you get them cheaper anywhere?
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

if you have money for a DW take that immediately

User Info Menu

haha i'll keep that in mind
    why doesn't dw sell any acoustic drums over the internet?
    the only thing you are able to buy from them via internet is hardware, pedals and such
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

they are too cool for the internet....jk i have no idea

User Info Menu

haha they are too cool

I like maple and thats probably what i'm going to end up getting, but i seen drum sets that are made out of a type of wood called "ash" and "bubinga"

what do thoes sound like? I've heard ash sound almost as good or better than maple
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Pearldrummer, when I play the ash kit, it reminds me very much of the birch kits (that makes sense since they discountinued the birch kits in favor of the ash kits). The higher tones are more pronounced on the ash kits than on the maple kits. To my ear, the bubinga kits also have an accentuated higher end tone than the maple kits.

User Info Menu

PDP cannot be beat for the money in my opinion. they sound amazing and are built very well. i played many different kits over a long time including much higher priced kits than my pdp CX and they didnt sound as good or didnt have the quality in them, so i chose the pdp cx and regret nothing.

User Info Menu

thanks pb that helps, I didn't know they made drums out of thoes types of woods, and was definatly oblivious to thier types of sounds

that makes me more of a pdp believer then m205, you speak pretty highly of them, and from what I've been hearing they're pretty solid kits, considering they are comming from dw

seems as though no one likes ddrum though haha
    Last edited by Pearldrummer13; 02-24-2008 at 03:23 PM.
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer13 View Post
    haha i'll keep that in mind
    why doesn't dw sell any acoustic drums over the internet?
    the only thing you are able to buy from them via internet is hardware, pedals and such
    DW sets are all custom made to order, so the only ones you will see on the internet are generally used on ebay or the like. Some times you will see one of their kits in a music store that ordered them for stock, but typically the customer places an order with DW to their exact specifications.
    PDP sets are basically the same materials (different looking lugs), but mass produced in Mexico for less than half the price of the DW equivalent typically. I just got a new PDP LXE kit a couple of weeks ago, and I am really loving it!
    Before getting my new kit I did a lot of research and played both ddrum and PDP kits, and I had a hard time deciding. The ddrum kits are also great for the money; I personally love the sound of their 20x20 maple bass drums.
    Definitely beat on both kits and see how easy they are to tune the way you would want them. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
    BTW, $2K is really cheap for a DW kit. Are you sure they are not used?

User Info Menu

dont buy your kit over the net brand new. I did a thread on here about it. Best deals you can get are in a store... The pearl masters in a mapel would have a price tag to smile at and would be built the same as a DW anyway. Maybe worth looking into since you are a pearl player.

DW are awesome but price between a dw and a reference would be pretty simular.

Just dont buy online. Its NOT cheaper in the long run.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    they are too cool for the Internet....jk i have no idea
    That is the truth really, they do not sell over the internet because they made an agreement with their dealers not to do that. The reason is to maintain the perception that they truly are a custom shop and worth the money that they are charging.

User Info Menu

i dont care for either company much. the people i know that have pdp kits and gig them regularly all have issues with durability. its a good intermediate kit, just not a road worthy kit IMO. and ddrum is getting a bad rep fast. if you want a kit that will stick with you for 10 years of work, you will spend around $1,500 on a new 5pc shell pack. again...IMO, the cheapest "pro" kits are the gretsch renown (maple), pearl masters (birch or maple), and tama starclassic performer (birch).

if you have 2k to spend, i think you could get a "bigger" kit of just as good quality as dw, by going with pearl or tama. the issue of materials can be a little misleading too. people get to thinking that birch is some high pitched sound and maple is much deeper in tone. maple is deeper/warmer, but the difference is very small. i have tuned identical sized pearl masters kits, both birch and maple with stock heads, side by side. and seriously, you would almost need digital sound analisys equipment to hear the difference. drum sizes, heads, and tuning have much more effect on pitch than what wood it is made of, as long as the the compared woods are of quality stock. the stock of wood is also a factor between intermediate, mid priced kits and high end drums. for example, the maple used in pearls session series was b-stock and the maple used in the masters is a-stock.

User Info Menu

there is no way I would buy a drum set over the internet
    new or used at that
    Its to risky and I want to, if i was able to, play it before it bought it.

I don't believe that the dw kit i seen was used
    It wasn't a huge kit either, it was a 4 or 5 piece
    w/o a snare
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

funky, I have to disagree with you a little on the road worthy issue of PDP kits. I gig with with mine four or five times a month for the last five years and haven't had a problem one my my kit in anyway. They are very well made kits, I will qualify that by saying the LX and ELX are, I have no experience with the X7's and below. But I would put my kit up against any kit in its price range and many above for sound and roadworthyness. I will say that if people are trying to gig with the 700 series hardware they probably are going to have some problems.

User Info Menu

the lugs and the hardware, such as bass drum legs are what i have heard alot about. of course many of the stories i hear are from young heavy metal players. i am not picking on pdp in anyway. i could have said the same about pearl exports or tama rockstars or about any other intermediate kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i am not picking on pdp in anyway. i could have said the same about pearl exports or tama rockstars or about any other intermediate kit.
    Surely you couldn't have been thinking about the sainted Gretsch Catalina kits Funky!!! LOL

User Info Menu

yep them too. i love the sound, but i wouldnt expect it to see 400 or so setups and tear downs on the bar circuit in a year, and last for more than a couple.

User Info Menu

Yeah, . . . OK, *with tremendous reluctance* . . . I guess I can see that!
    LOL I'm glad I'm not expecting that kind of schedule in my future! LOL

User Info Menu

dont get me wrong here, the kits mentioned are nice and can do the job for awhile. but i think i may have a different standard of the term "road worthy".

User Info Menu

what would you call a road worthy kit anyway, funky?

you have to be nuts if your going to carry around you kit from show to show
    (granted wether its expensive or not)
    without cases

and i can understand your drums moving on you or slipping because the hardware doesn't tighten enough or is just worn out, are you talking about the hardware, legs and things, actually breaking?
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra