Thread: Decisions, decisions...

User Info Menu

Default Decisions, decisions...

ok, sorry for bringing this up again but ive been looking into potential new kits alot recently. I think ive narrowed it down to 4 choices; Pearl vision, Tama Superstar custom hyperdrive, Mapex M-Birch and Gresch catalina ash.

The gresch and mapex are both £599 and are both 6 peice with an extra 8" tom. There are alot of different varieties of the M-birch, all similaly priced.

I personally like the look of the tama, but it is the most expensive. Hopefully next week im gonna go and try out these kits but i wondered if anyone has had any experience with them.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Decisions, decisions...

IMO, I'd narrow it down to the Tama and Mapex. They are both amazing kits with amazing quality for birch drums. I've heard alot of negative things about the Vision series and Gretsch Ash kits just don't stack up to what you could be getting. Plus, Tama also makes awesome hardware, endorsements could be in your future lol.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i would go with the mapex m birch. from what i hear it's really nice. the tama has basswood in it too, which is cheap.

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas MYSTERIOUSSTAN* CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) I USE MAPEX SATURNS & THESE TAMBORES (DRUMS)
    ARE VERY HOT * I played ON all the MAPEX*the ONES that you (WANT) ARE
    HOT as well & TAMA IS GREAT Too.BUT as far as the company MAPEX you
    can get them on the PHONE Very easy ,I tried many times to contact TAMA &its
    always hard to contact them At least for Me ,&I am extremmmmmXXX---
    PERSISTENT ARTIST DRUMMER*I love the fact that its no problem contacting MAPEX**BUT thats NOT the only reason THAT I got MY MAPEX SATURNS
    I LOVE the WAY they are MADE & the TONE *THEIR just HOT DRUMS & the COMPANY is GREAT***GRACIAS *whatever you PICK *IT will all be GREAT *
    WHAT-EVER WORKS For the creative ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER is ALL **
    GREAT** PLAY them ALL & then make up your MIND***GRACIAS

User Info Menu

i would be looking into the visions.... I dunno prices or sounds but its a lower quality reference. And i love the design behind them and i bet they prolly sound better than the old exports.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

IMO, I'd narrow it down to the Tama and Mapex.
    And I will narrow it only to TAMA....
    Superstar Custom will be e great deal for you....
    Just my opinion though....

But Gretsch Catalina sounds good as well, and they come with 8" tom...
    It will be a good deal....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

As you can see mysterious, opinions on your question are as varied as the personalities offering them. All the kits you mentioned are quality kits, chose the one you can afford and the color you like and buy it. Then play the heck out of it!

User Info Menu

I agree with you BTD. I have a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit mainly because I really like the warm sound of the maple shells, I knew that Gretsch was making a solid kit (I had narrowed my choice to Sonor, and Gretsch), and because gretsch was offering an additional 16X16 floor tom.

Find the sound that you like. Some like the sound of birch shells, while some like maple, and others like a mix of wood in their shells. Only you will know what you like the best, and only listening to different kits will tell you what you like. My opinion on the Gretsch Catalina Ash is that they have a sound similar to birch kits. That certainly makes sense, because they discontinues the birch kits, and went with the ash.

Mysterious, I would suggest that you put a pair of sticks in your pocket, and head for a music store. Just tap each drum you can. Find your sound, and then you'll know what to buy! You'll also look like you know what you're doing!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have maple mapex kits so i'm sure the birch kits are the same quality and it is very good. Slick as glass and single lug mounts like the high end kits have. The pro m kit i have at church ( see my avitar)has people staring and saying what a great looking kit it is. So my vote would be for the mapex!
    Last edited by 2slow; 03-10-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I'd say the pro M just because i love mapex.ill admit largely because my favorite drummer plays them but also because of the great prices,quality and finishes.im also planning my next kit to be the pro M birch, or maple depending on the sound and how much cash i have :P anyway... GO MAPEX DUDE!!!
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

Cymbals:paiste 101 14" hats,16" crash and 20" ride.Paiste 2002 18" medium crash

DW7000 double pedal

Favourite drummer: Chris Adler http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHl4I5E78Wg

Favourite band: Lamb of God

Favourite song: Now youve got something to die for- Lamb of god.

User Info Menu

Make sure that you choose a type of wood that is going to suit the your style and the environment you play in. That should help you kick a couple of kits of your list.

I have a vision kit and I am really happy with it. Even with the stock standard heads on it it sound fantastic. The hardware is hardcore tough and really good quality for the price.

When you get a chance to play each of the kits, try and forget what brand your playing and have a real good listen and a feel and see if one stands out.

I guess at the end of the day, if you choose any of those kits, you'll come out with something good.