Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Drum Books

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Thumbs up Drum Books

    FYI: DrumsetBooks.com is now fully stocked with tons of drum books on every subject having to do with drums and percussion.
    There are books on rudiments, drum tuning, drum soloing, and even play-alongs that have music without the drum track. Check it out!

    DrumsetBooks.com

    - Tom

    T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

    -----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html



    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Hola como estas DRUMMER(TOM) CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST
    DRUMMER(CAT) THATS GOOD INFO & GREAT LINK*ALWAYS GAINING KNOWLEDGE & SHAREING IT **GRACIAS

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Oh my gosh! Thank you so much this will probably help me in my quest to drum... and drum well.
    You can't leave footprints in the sands of time if you're sitting on your butt. And who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time? -Anonymous

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    I'm also sending you a few books with the box of stuff that I sending out (right after Easter).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.


    Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

    Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    im there!

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Great list. Thanks.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Anyone want to suggest a good book for rudiments and stick control? I remember having a book way back in the day with a gray cover and an illustration on it. 20 years ago.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen11365 View Post
    Anyone want to suggest a good book for rudiments and stick control? I remember having a book way back in the day with a gray cover and an illustration on it. 20 years ago.
    Stick Control , by George Lawrence Stone , has a grey cover. Perhaps this is the book you're remembering.

    Charley Wilcoxon's books , ALL American Drummer and Modern Rudimental Swing Solos , cover rudiments extensively.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    I love me some drum books! I have a LOT of them. So much so, that I had to kinda stop buying them because I was purchasing more than I was practicing...!

    Stick Control, by George Stone is basically required reading. You can spend your entire drumming career in this book.

    (Progressive Steps to) Syncopation, by Ted Reed has ~10 page section that I will be working on for the rest of my life. It has infinite practice applications that you can develop, I seem to stumble on new ones all the time.

    Master Studies (I & II), by Joe Morello. I recently bought the 2nd book, got maybe two pages in before I had to put it down and vigorously practice the first book! Notable exercises include the "Stone Killer" and fill-in studies.

    These are just what I would consider staples that every drummer should have. I am also a big fan of the Wilcoxon books, "Portraits in Rhythm" by A. Cirone, and another possibly out-of-print gem "The Complete Book of Modern Drumming" by Norman Grossman... I think thats the title.

    Also for drumset, "Future Sounds" David Garibaldi, "New Breed" Gary Chester, the Jim Chapin book, the Jim Riley books, and, for the truly academic, the Jack DeJohnette book. That thing is ridiculous.
    myspace.com/reversegravitymusic
    myspace.com/manahumana
    myspace.com/musashi trio (no space between words... site thinks its an expletive.)
    myspace.com/yeahmanrocks
    myspace.com/tangfunksf
    myspace.com/thelatrellsband

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Quote Originally Posted by jimr_drumr View Post
    I love me some drum books! I have a LOT of them. So much so, that I had to kinda stop buying them because I was purchasing more than I was practicing...!

    Stick Control, by George Stone is basically required reading. You can spend your entire drumming career in this book.

    (Progressive Steps to) Syncopation, by Ted Reed has ~10 page section that I will be working on for the rest of my life. It has infinite practice applications that you can develop, I seem to stumble on new ones all the time.

    Master Studies (I & II), by Joe Morello. I recently bought the 2nd book, got maybe two pages in before I had to put it down and vigorously practice the first book! Notable exercises include the "Stone Killer" and fill-in studies.

    These are just what I would consider staples that every drummer should have. I am also a big fan of the Wilcoxon books, "Portraits in Rhythm" by A. Cirone, and another possibly out-of-print gem "The Complete Book of Modern Drumming" by Norman Grossman... I think thats the title.

    Also for drumset, "Future Sounds" David Garibaldi, "New Breed" Gary Chester, the Jim Chapin book, the Jim Riley books, and, for the truly academic, the Jack DeJohnette book. That thing is ridiculous.
    Great recommendations, the best books are the ones you can practice in many different ways.

    I also recommend 4-Way Independence, just picked it up the other day and page 1 has already given me a headache.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    One book that I used with my teacher for two years now is Funky Primer for the Rock Drummer by Charles Dowd. It's a wonderful book. It's full of beats with the hi-hat, snare, and bass, but it also has advice on how to use these beats in different ways (e.g. with the ride on with a hi-hat pedal on 2 and 4).
    I just picked up Advanced Funk Druming by Rick Latham, and I'm loving that book as well.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    I admit that I had forgotten about this site, so I am glad to see that it is included on the "Drum Links" on our nav bar.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.


    Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

    Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Anyone know any of a book full of beats that are different from the last (Just not variations for pages and pages) one that are good to learn to broaden my library? Yes, I'm aware of groove essentials. Also, the same thing but with fills?

    Figure if I learn a beat and fill a day and really work on them, come up with variations and try it in my playing I'll build up a huge library.

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    So do you think stick control would be a good first drum book?
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Not for drumset itself but definitely to get some basic coordination going in your hands. Also, check out the drum rudiments at DrumRudiments.com (those are free!)
    - Tom

    T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

    -----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html



    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Quote Originally Posted by coddude321 View Post
    One book that I used with my teacher for two years now is Funky Primer for the Rock Drummer by Charles Dowd. It's a wonderful book. It's full of beats with the hi-hat, snare, and bass, but it also has advice on how to use these beats in different ways (e.g. with the ride on with a hi-hat pedal on 2 and 4).
    I just picked up Advanced Funk Druming by Rick Latham, and I'm loving that book as well.
    +1 thats what my teacher uses for teaching me! It's a great book.
    -DrumRookie

    -Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    In my opinion Joe Morellos Master Studies is one of the best books out there. Its a great stick control book which also shows you how to apply it to drumset...Joe studied with George Lawrence Stone, who wrote Stick Control.

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    The latest drum book i have gotten was the one that came with my dvd for Niel Perts, "A Work In Progress" and it is awesome.

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    So do you think stick control would be a good first drum book?
    yes...as long as you have a teacher, or a friend, who can demo pieces for you....I know it was hard for me to just read a chart....but if I watched someone play it, it made it alot easier.

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Quote Originally Posted by Mommydrummer View Post
    In my opinion Joe Morellos Master Studies is one of the best books out there. Its a great stick control book which also shows you how to apply it to drumset...Joe studied with George Lawrence Stone, who wrote Stick Control.
    +1. Awesome book. Has helped me heaps in both my own drumming and teaching at work.

    I would also like to recommend Rhythm Section Drumming by Frank Corniola. It covers everything from basic rock beats to complex latin and odd time rhythms and includes several extended exercises and songs with backing tracks. Awesome book.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

    'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    +1. Awesome book. Has helped me heaps in both my own drumming and teaching at work.

    I would also like to recommend Rhythm Section Drumming by Frank Corniola. It covers everything from basic rock beats to complex latin and odd time rhythms and includes several extended exercises and songs with backing tracks. Awesome book.
    Oh yeah, definitely "Rhythm Section Drumming", for sure. For a lot of my students, I get them going through Tom Jackson's "Drumming From Top To Bottom" (plus they first get primed through "Stick Control" and Ted Reed's "Syncopation" of course), but I'll photocopy a few pages from "Rhythm Section" o challenge the more adventurous players.

    For the ones getting serious with double kick playing, I also pull out the book "The Double Bass Encyclopedia" by Michael Lauren and Bobby Rondinelli....starts easy but then it has heaps of challenging exercises not long after you get through the first few pages. And for those who want to specialise in a different area I also been getting them through a few pages of "Afro-Cuban Rhythms For Drumset" by Frank Malabe and Bob Weiner, a book that I'm still finishing off in my own personal study. One of my double bass students, Jake, thoroughly enjoys the challenges in that one, because he says that it's really making him approach and think about syncopation in such a different way.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

    668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

    "A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    I found a book some years ago, recomended by Danny Carey from TOOL. It was titled 5 Way Coordination. I forget who the author was, but I'm sure you could Google it. The basic theory was about utilizing limbs that were momentarily at rest to carry more than one rhythm or a different timing pattern on different parts of the set. It was full of information on the subject, but very difficult to get through. Great one to pick up for a challenge and very beneficial.
    Love my Gretsch sound!

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    Imo, best books are the 'Methode de Batterie' books by D. Agostini. Great books for everybody, from starter through pro.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • Crush Sublime Maple
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K Cymbals
    • Crush Snares
    • Pork Pie Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser Internal Mics
    • Shure mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • SKB Roto X cases

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    I use a book called drumcraft. Its good
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Books

    The Drummer - 100 Years Book looks pretty interesting. Shame it says discontinued :(
    Tom Tom Thunder

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •