Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum Books

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Books

I'm looking to expand my groove repertoire. Which book would you recommend?
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stephen11365 View Post
    Anyone want to suggest a good book for rudiments and stick control? I remember having a book way back in the day with a gray cover and an illustration on it. 20 years ago.
    Check out Bill Bachman's "Stick Technique: The Essential Guide for the Modern Drummer"

Some of the material has already been featured in Modern Drummer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimr_drumr View Post
    I love me some drum books! I have a LOT of them. So much so, that I had to kinda stop buying them because I was purchasing more than I was practicing...!

Stick Control, by George Stone is basically required reading. You can spend your entire drumming career in this book.

(Progressive Steps to) Syncopation, by Ted Reed has ~10 page section that I will be working on for the rest of my life. It has infinite practice applications that you can develop, I seem to stumble on new ones all the time.

Master Studies (I & II), by Joe Morello. I recently bought the 2nd book, got maybe two pages in before I had to put it down and vigorously practice the first book! Notable exercises include the "Stone Killer" and fill-in studies.

These are just what I would consider staples that every drummer should have. I am also a big fan of the Wilcoxon books, "Portraits in Rhythm" by A. Cirone, and another possibly out-of-print gem "The Complete Book of Modern Drumming" by Norman Grossman... I think thats the title.

Also for drumset, "Future Sounds" David Garibaldi, "New Breed" Gary Chester, the Jim Chapin book, the Jim Riley books, and, for the truly academic, the Jack DeJohnette book. That thing is ridiculous.

Thumbs up for the book buying addictive one.

I got myself stick control for Christmas, can't wait.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread up from the dead....I highly recommend this "coffee table" book called "The Anatomy of Drumming". It helped me understand the physical nature of drumming and helped me re-think my set ups. I've been a weekend warrior for 30+ years and sitting and playing four 1 hour sets during the weekends, then tearing down the kit, PA and loading out has taken its toll on my body. I remember playing out during my twenties and never had any issues until I started to age. I still have a lot left in me and this book helped me understand a few things I took for granted.

User Info Menu

I recently picked up a book called "The Art Of Bop Drumming" By John Riley. Was recommended by my teacher. It's really great for learning/developing jazz drumming with pages and pages of comping exercises which are really great for coordination and for becoming a more stylistic player. Also has great pages on playing solos and brush patterns. The book is in a lot of detail, but if you take time to read it, is really easy to follow. Would definitely recommend to anyone interested in jazz drumming.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd