Thread: Countoff on tenors???

User Info Menu

Question Countoff on tenors???

Ok. Our drumline is doing clinics to help get the newbies acquainted with drumming before tryouts. I am the most experienced drummer at the clinics since our C.S. has baseball... So the question is what do you guys think about tapping it off on tenors? Cuz our main instructor doesn't really like it, but I don't really have a problem with it at clinics and the like. And besides, it makes it a whole heck of a lot easier for me since I play tenors anywayz...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Countoff on tenors???

Technically, it should make no difference at all .

If your instructor has a real issue with it, take the time (in private or away from everyone else) to understand why. There may be some reason that they want it that way - i.e. consistency for later in the year, etc.

User Info Menu

Meh, if your feilding a big line, Or starting your show out, It probably be a safer bet to tap off on snare, the sound travels faster, and its more of the soprano voice, so youll hear it, But tapping off on tenors wouldnt be bad, theirs times when corps do it, and turn it into a tradition for tenors to tap off instead of the snares (double beat by SCV)

But it dosnt really matter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
    Technically, it should make no difference at all .

If your instructor has a real issue with it, take the time (in private or away from everyone else) to understand why. There may be some reason that they want it that way - i.e. consistency for later in the year, etc.
    Yeah I guess I can see the consistency for later in the year, but other than that, knowing him, it's just a wierd quirk...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    Meh, if your feilding a big line, Or starting your show out, It probably be a safer bet to tap off on snare, the sound travels faster, and its more of the soprano voice, so youll hear it, But tapping off on tenors wouldnt be bad, theirs times when corps do it, and turn it into a tradition for tenors to tap off instead of the snares (double beat by SCV)

I definitely agree about the field snare countoff for the norm. And that's awesome about the SCV double beat tenor countoff...Thankx!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post

SCV DOUBLE BEAT BABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg i love that cadence

User Info Menu

it's not a cadence it's a streetbeat.and the double beat versions i've heard are all snare count-off's.What year did the tenor count-off?
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

Really? Ive found a lot more 03's and 04's that are set up in their little snare, tenor, snare, snare, tenor, snare snare, tenor, ect lineup, with the center tenor counting on his 10'

User Info Menu

i think tenor count offs are awesome, if i could count off on tenors, i'd do spock click spock click 1111 2222 3333 4444

User Info Menu

it doesn't make a difference as long as it is in time. A tradition at our high school is that after the game we march back to the band room and each person on the line calls out a stand tune or excercise and taps it off on their drum. So it shouldn't be a problem

User Info Menu

its not a big deal......our snare player counts off exercises and warmups while the tenor player keeps us in step....field countoff.....it doesnt matter who does it it can be heard from any drum......do it like drum corps and have bass 5 do it :P.....hehe but um if u do countoff dont make it complex....stick to drum 2 or the spock and straight 8th notes.
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

Its not that bad, at one time our 5th bass drum counted off.

User Info Menu

Tenors sound fine counting off. I've heard it in many drumlines, including the one I'm in. It's also a lot easier than teaching someone else the countoff.

User Info Menu

In all effectuality, it shouldn't make any difference.

User Info Menu

The only difference it might make to a drum line instructor is to be certain that the band or corps recognizes the pitch of the drum used for a count-off.

SkyhawkDrummer
    Junior Member (Newbie) Join Date: Oct 2007

Re: Countoff on tenors???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's not a cadence it's a streetbeat.and the double beat versions i've heard are all snare count-off's.What year did the tenor count-off?

A Cadence is a Street Beat. A Cadence is the rhythmic flow of a beat. Street Beat is a slang term for a Parade Cadence. Cadences are written for use on the Street as well as a Pass-In-Review.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg