Thread: texture

User Info Menu

Default texture

I have been playing the drums for a short time. My brother plays the guitar and we try our best to make a decent sound. I am looking for some help on adding some texture to my playing . I can put together a good beat that goes with the song but I have a hard time knowing what to do to be able to give the beat more than just a beat. Just a little hear and there but what and when. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: texture

you need to do research on drum fills. listen to music in the genre your playing and see how other drummers do fills.practice those fills and know them well. before you know it you will form your own style over time. make sure you listen to different type of drummers as well.this will keep you from sounding like someone else. and as always,rudiment exercises are crucial too! there's no replacing that!
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

Texture and creativity will come with working on technique, which includes dynamics and lots of creative practicing. Listen to "a lot" of drummers and you'll get tons of ideas of how they do it. Then get in the practice room and shed. It will all pay off. It won't happen overnight but it will happen if you're putting the time in.

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Drummer and Drum-Fusion...we all have to "Listen" to lots of music and drummers in particular. Drumming, like anything else with music, is not accidental. There is structure and pattern. You can pick up a lot of this simply by listening but, it would certainly be to your best advantage to find a teacher and begin a study of playing the drums. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: texture

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    I have been playing the drums for a short time. My brother plays the guitar and we try our best to make a decent sound. I am looking for some help on adding some texture to my playing . I can put together a good beat that goes with the song but I have a hard time knowing what to do to be able to give the beat more than just a beat. Just a little hear and there but what and when. Thanks
    Hey, justin--

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're working on hard rock/punk rock...but no matter what kind of music you're playing, your best bet is to, as mentioned earlier, listen to various types of music. The beat is your foundation, but fills add the texture you're looking for.

A little fill goes a long way...some newbies think they have to have something dramatic at the end of every verse, and they end up overplaying. It's a cliche, but, by "keeping the beat goin'," drummers build the structure on which all the other instruments and voices are placed. Frank (fiacovaz) is right! Get a good teacher and learn the basics, and you'll be more comfortable adding texture throughout your music...

Good luck, bro', and welcome to DrumChat!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Good advice bongo, well said.

User Info Menu

it all comes with time as well
    do what the other guys have been saying
    listen to your music and listen to the fills they are doing
    and model yours similar to theirs

after a while you will be able to craft your own!
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

i've always said the practice room is where you play beyond your boundries. stretch your limitations and LEARN your limitations there, so when you play live you can play within those limits. don't be afraid to experiment with many different styles and sounds. who knows what you'll find.

User Info Menu

make it groove dude, its not just a beat its a pulse, a drive , own it.
    go to the ride cymbal on the chorus, hit the bell of the ride with the shoulder of the stick and the tip of the stick alternately. also do the shoulder/tip on the hihat, feel the rythmn, really listen to the whole sound of the band and make sure you FIT in its pocket. you can do all this even though you are pretty new to the drums. go for it.

User Info Menu

if your playing punk, id check out eric from nofx, the dropkick murphy's drummer, and maybe the ramones styles....

good luck
    !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Texture and creativity will come with working on technique, which includes dynamics and lots of creative practicing. Listen to "a lot" of drummers and you'll get tons of ideas of how they do it. Then get in the practice room and shed. It will all pay off. It won't happen overnight but it will happen if you're putting the time in.
    Hola como estas DRUMMER CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER* ARTIST(-TOM-CAT) EXCELLENT ADVICE *Gracias