Thread: Quotes from Danny Carey

User Info Menu

Default Quotes from Danny Carey

I don't think there is, but, if there's anyone left that thinks playing metal is just 16th notes on the basses, and quarter or half notes on the snare, these are two parts from Danny Carey's Cyberclinic at DannyCarey.org. You can see that a lot of thinking and planning goes into his parts. Maybe it's no big deal, but I thought this was pretty darn cool!!

"This beat was composed to be a simple accompaniment to Justin's beautiful bass line. Being in a compound time of 12/8 (5/8 + 7/8), the main goal was to let the natural pulse of the melody come through and keep it simple enough to let Maynard's polyrhythmic phrasing in 3 come through unscathed.The transition into the pre-chorus was done with the same intent but was a little more jerky due to the added beat that moved the time into 13/8 (6/8 + 7/8)."

"This has been the most requested segment ever since the cyber clinics began. It is simply a solo break over 7/4 time with a bar of 8/4 every fourth bar. I always find it refreshing when melodies go over the bar line in solos, so I tried to take advantage of this technique in a couple of places. In odd time signatures it becomes very important to establish an inner pulse (such as 2-2-3 in 7) for a reference point. Once the corresponding pulse is internalized, any time signature can become a playground."
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Yeah, when you start talking about mixed meter it makes you think of jazz more than metal. This guy's no dummy.

BTW- I'm taking Jam'n Jimmy to a clinic by Jeff Campatelli this weekend. Should be pretty cool.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 10-03-2006 at 12:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Be sure to let us know how it was.

User Info Menu

Actually, I'm going to try and film (video) it. If there's anything worth watching I'll put a clip on Google.

Hey, wouldn't it be weird if drummer ended up being Jeff Campatelli?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    ...if there's anyone left that thinks playing metal is just 16th notes on the basses, and quarter or half notes on the snare, these are two parts from Danny Carey's Cyberclinic...

"This beat was composed to be a simple accompaniment to Justin's beautiful bass line. Being in a compound time of 12/8 (5/8 + 7/8), the main goal was to let the natural pulse of the melody come through and keep it simple enough to let Maynard's polyrhythmic phrasing in 3 come through unscathed.
    Now that's drumming!

User Info Menu

im not hot on names is this Tools drummer? .. incase im way off i ask cause tools got a song called maynard's Di*k and he mentioned maynard...
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Yea, this is TOOL's drummer! I got to see them in concert last month. AWESOME!!!!!

User Info Menu

Luckyyyy!!!...

User Info Menu

metal drummer your officaly at the top of my hitlist
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

me? why me?