Thread: Trad grip players looky looky.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trad grip players looky looky.

i kind of wish i played traditional. but i dont have the time to practice it

User Info Menu

Thanks Ratmycue!
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

He always makes it look effortless and I will think that looks easy enough until I try it, and realize i will have to wood shed it for weeks to accomplish anything with it,

User Info Menu

for some reason i'm a righty but play traditional as an open lefty...is there something wrong w/me?...ok don't answer that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    He always makes it look effortless and I will think that looks easy enough until I try it, and realize i will have to wood shed it for weeks to accomplish anything with it,
    years btd years.

User Info Menu

Dave Weckl is an outstanding and very accomplished drummer. I was blown away the first time I heard him. It was with Chic Korea and another bassist and they just tore it up.

Made me realize I should take lessons.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I used to think that there were opposing camps: Traditional vs. Matched with regards to grip. A little history may explain and help to make sense. Traditional grip evolved from playing the marching snare drum which was also called the Side drum. Hung with a sling, the drum rested along the left side of the body and, to play in that position while marching, the left hand grip naturally evolved. It would be many years before a leg rest was added to help stabilize the drum while marching. This is the method I was introduced to when I first began to play. Now, transferring this left hand grip to the drum set required that the snare drum be tilted to replicate the playing angle of the marching snare and that's why, even today, you can see some drum kits with the tilted snare. Most jazz players will continue this grip because it is much easier to support the stick from underneath and allows for softer and sensitive playing. Matched grip had always been around but relegated to Orchestral drummers who played the Timpani and it is from this that the three most used hand grips evolved: Germanic...wrists up, palms down and 90 degree angle of sticks; American ...wrists tilted 45 degrees outward; and French... thumbs up, palms facing each other, finger control of the sticks.
    The popularity of Matched grip playing exploded in the early to mid 1970's as the Drum and Bugle Corps raised their level of performance and hardware had to be developed to rigidly stabilize the marching drums. This eliminated the side postion of the snare and forced the drum head into a parallel to the ground position. Traditional grip playing this way is uncomfortable and not conducuve to dynamic playing. Naturally, drummers turned to the Matched grip and the benefits of that became evident. Personnel could easily be switched from playing snare drum to trios, quads and quints. This also opened up the doors to playing the mallet instruments: Xylophone, Marimba, Vibes. Watch virtually any high school marching band at half time and you will see huge percussion sections on the field...all because of Matched grip playing. Heavy rock and metal players took up playing with Matched grip because that allowed them to play with so much more power. The Moeller Stroke Technique was rediscovered and drummers became faster, louder and more intense with their playing. Copying the Drum corps, drum kits became larger with the addition of rack toms and set drumming entered a new era of playing. So, now we have two camps of drummers as determined by Traditional grip vs. Matched grip. However, drummers such as Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Cualiato, Steve Gadd etc. learned how to integrate both grips into their playing thus opening up an even newer world of playing...total drumset playing World Music. We can now switch grips within a single piece of music to enhance our playing. Traditional left hand players learned how to adjust the height of the snare so they can play with both grips. One big band chart I can use to demonstrate this is On Green Dolphin Street by Les Hooper. It is a Latin...Jazz...Latin composition. I have to play it with a Samba pattern and meld into an up tempo Swing/Jazz and back to a Latin free-style. I constantly change between both grips to accommodate. Drum instructors today insist on teaching both grips to their students so that the entire scope of playing Percussion instruments is open to them. And that, boys and girls, is Hand Grip 101.
    Last edited by fiacovaz; 04-11-2008 at 10:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Don't mind me...once a teacher, always a teacher

User Info Menu

cant think of a single thing to add to that fico u pretty much covered it all.
    I guess the devil in me has to ask though!! which style has more finesse ?