Thread: Mic'ing drums live?

User Info Menu

Default Mic'ing drums live?

Has anyone had any experience with mic'ing drums live? I've got a gig on Friday, and I can't find anywhere to rent a set of drum mics on such short notice. I want to put a dynamic mic on the bass drum for sure, but then what? I have 2 condensor mics at my disposal, as well as 3 hanging condensor mics. What would be my best option here?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mic'ing drums live?

you could get away with two overheads and a dynamic bass drm mic...but its really nice to get that snare in the mix.

User Info Menu

It's a fairly small venue, so I'm not too worried about getting too in depth. It's mostly just because I don't like playing too hard, and I want a bit of reinforcement.

User Info Menu

Mic the bass drum and two overheads, if it is a small venue you should be in good shape. It would be nice to mic the snare but of all the drums it cuts the most so the overheads in a pinch will pick up enough. If you have an extra vocal mic say an shure sm58 preferably a sm57, put that on the snare and you will be set.

User Info Menu

Alright, sounds good. I might have an extra sm58, but I'm not sure, it'll depend on how many we need to use for vocals. I don't think I'll worry about a mic on the snare too much, though.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

mike everything, even your seat!!
    People want to here d drummmmmmmmmmmmmssssssssssss.

User Info Menu

With a 3 mic arrangement, go with backtodrum's suggestion. Get the bass drum and the overheads will do the rest.

If you have any other mic's available, it would be good to get the snare and hats.
    Signature here