Thread: River of Deceit

User Info Menu

Default River of Deceit

I have been working on River of Deceit for about two days now with little success. A very simple beat but for some reason I just cannot get it. Should I just not worry about getting the exact sound and just go with a similar beat?
    Last edited by Beasty101; 04-11-2008 at 12:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: River of Deceit

Thats what I would do man. I never try to play songs exactly how they were recorded. One reason is Im usually not as good as the artist on the CD. The other reason is that there are some many things added and perfected in the studio that you may never be able to duplicate it. When I learn a new song I put my own stamp on it. Of course the beat will be the same but I like to add my own fills and little things to make it more fun to play. Im no virtuoso by any means and can't read a lick of music so I can't help you on that end of it. Hope this helps.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

I might just do that instead I just hope the other band members do not get bent out of shape about it.

User Info Menu

Beasty....I listened this on You Tube a couple of times. It's a nice enough tune, very straight forward with a steady "4" beat. Simple straight eighth note pattern with few fills. Actually, it was very understated as far as the drums are concerned...,just play a simple pattern and let the vocal shine through...he/she'll love you for that and so will the band.

User Info Menu

Just like fiacovaz stated, this is what the main groove sounds like to me (alternate between cross stick/snare hits) with a straight quarter note pulse:

Rid:| x---x---x---x--- |
    SnD:| ----o-------o--- |
    BD1:| o--------------o |

Unless you're talking about the chorus parts...I'll take a listen in the next couple of days to see if I can help out.

If I'm trying to figure something out, I use a Winamp with a plug in that controls tempo/speed to try on decipher what's going on. I'm sure there are others out there for other software. Sometimes when you slow stuff down though, it gets a little muddy.

User Info Menu

Are you talking about the main groove or the chorus parts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    Thats what I would do man. I never try to play songs exactly how they were recorded. One reason is Im usually not as good as the artist on the CD. The other reason is that there are some many things added and perfected in the studio that you may never be able to duplicate it. When I learn a new song I put my own stamp on it. Of course the beat will be the same but I like to add my own fills and little things to make it more fun to play. Im no virtuoso by any means and can't read a lick of music so I can't help you on that end of it. Hope this helps.
    I am the same way. Without totally improvising the entire song, I like to "make it mine", to say. I would much rather hear a cover band play a song that doesn't sound exactly like the studio version. To me that is music!