Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Set Keeps Sliding?

User Info Menu

Default Drum Set Keeps Sliding?

I have a tama five-piece kit, and every time I play, the base drum moves farther and farther away from me.

I try using the base and the pedal lightly, but still, it moves. And it's annoying because I can't play through a whole song, because it moves too far away.
    And the rubber stoppers on the feet came off (because of the sliding) and won't come back on.

The set is on a cement-ish floor...

any advice on how to keep it in place? Is this normal, for one?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Set Keeps Sliding?

Absolutely normal, considering you are set up on a slippery floor. My kits all have spikes on the bass drum feet, and also spikes on the pedal, so that keeps my bass drum firmly in place -- ON CARPET. Any bass drum will slide on cement, tile, anything that is a slippery surface. Find a drum carpet, or a carpet remnant that you can get cheap (or for free), and I think you'll see a big difference. Make sure it's large enough that your stool is on the same rug, so that you've got weight to anchor the bass drum on the rug.

You shouldn't have to alter your style of playing to keep your bass from running away on you.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Oh, and Welcome to Drum Chat YesKellyDrums!

We'd love to see some pics of you kit when you get a chance....there's a thread called Show Us Your Drums in the first section where you can post them.

We love drum pics!! Tamas are fine drums man!!
    Last edited by Norske; 04-27-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat YesKellyDrums!

Norske has given you excellent advice YKD, so there is nothing that I can add other than to say that adding a carpet to anchor your kit will also help with reflected sound if you are currently on a cement floor. I think you'll see that the sound of your kit will improve, because the sound will have a little more focus. I'm sure there are others that can speak to this even better than I can, and I hope they will.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drum Set Keeps Sliding?

Hi, YKD! Welcome aboard! And...as they say...like they said above! At the very least, even a small carpet remnant should keep the beat from goin' away from you on the floor!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS YESKELLYDRUMS *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER**AND WELCOME TO THIS VERY COOL DRUM CHAT FORM*
    THIS Is Very OLD SCHOOL ,In fact A Very HOT (CAT) CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER* TOLD Me THIS so ALL My life I been DOING this What I am About To STATE *on your BASS DRUM THE LEGS*(STANDS)tie A Long Piece Of ROPE HEMP-ROPE or RYLON or what ever You Want to Use this As A (ANCHOR) so the ROPE GOES from the BASS DRUM around Your (SEAT)-STOOL) so Now your OWN BODY weight Will HOLD your BASS DRUM In PLACE & have Your BASS drum On A CARPET or A MOVEING BLANKET* and You can also HAVE A seperate Rope for Your Hi-HAT(SOCK) ***THIS IS FORSURE A Very GREAT WAY to keep your BASS DRUM & HI-HAT in PLACE I also HAVE ANCHORED My BASS DRUM useing U joint NAILS on VERY MANY STAGES**
    WHAT EVER WORKS for THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST IS ALL GREAT as this Is A VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Hey YesKellyDrums welcome to the forum! I had the same issue and I got a small carpet that solved this issue for me. Give it a shot and I hope it works for you!
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Like everyone else said, grab yourself a carpet, rug or mat that is big enough to get all your stuff on. Also, try to get one that will not simply bunch up and still allow your stuff to move around on you.

Or you can use my preferred method and intimidate it to stay in place. This is not an easy skill to master, but once you learn it you will be darn near able to control the universe itself. Oh, welcome to the forum! (I feel old now...)
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I use a 4' x 8' black light weight area rug that I got at Wal mart for $20.00 it works beautifuly, has a rubber back so it stays where it is put and my drums look good on it! It was a win win for all the way around!

User Info Menu

I use a 1/2' thick neoprene(?) exercise mat from Walmart. Same material used for flip flops. The bass drum spikes really anchors well in this rubber- like material. They come in 2 x 2' squares and needs assembling according to the size you need. They are also used in nursery play pens and come in bright cheery colors.

User Info Menu

Reading SWD's response reminded me of the no creep chain drummers used back in the early 1960's. We attached it to the bass drum lugs, the legs of the stool and hi-hat. It kept the brass and hi-hat from sliding forward but not from side-to-side. Man, it was crazy trying to play "Wipe-out" with the drums swaying like they did. Anyway, the rubber backed area rug is a great idea...I've been using that for a good many years...no problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON View Post
    HOLA COMO ESTAS YESKELLYDRUMS *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER**AND WELCOME TO THIS VERY COOL DRUM CHAT FORM*
    THIS Is Very OLD SCHOOL ,In fact A Very HOT (CAT) CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER* TOLD Me THIS so ALL My life I been DOING this What I am About To STATE *on your BASS DRUM THE LEGS*(STANDS)tie A Long Piece Of ROPE HEMP-ROPE or RYLON or what ever You Want to Use this As A (ANCHOR) so the ROPE GOES from the BASS DRUM around Your (SEAT)-STOOL) so Now your OWN BODY weight Will HOLD your BASS DRUM In PLACE & have Your BASS drum On A CARPET or A MOVEING BLANKET* and You can also HAVE A seperate Rope for Your Hi-HAT(SOCK) ***THIS IS FORSURE A Very GREAT WAY to keep your BASS DRUM & HI-HAT in PLACE I also HAVE ANCHORED My BASS DRUM useing U joint NAILS on VERY MANY STAGES**
    WHAT EVER WORKS for THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST IS ALL GREAT as this Is A VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM **GRACIAS
    I have known some metal drummers who do the same with a chain between the base of their throne and their pedals...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peach_tx View Post
    I have known some metal drummers who do the same with a chain between the base of their throne and their pedals...
    HOLA COMO ESTAS PEACH_TX CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) YES THATS COOL & IT REALLY WORKS FANTASTIC *I never
    had Any problems With the BASS DRUM Moeing SIDE TO SIDE **or the HI-HAT(SOCK) GRACIAS* MI AMIGO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Reading SWD's response reminded me of the no creep chain drummers used back in the early 1960's. We attached it to the bass drum lugs, the legs of the stool and hi-hat. It kept the brass and hi-hat from sliding forward but not from side-to-side. Man, it was crazy trying to play "Wipe-out" with the drums swaying like they did. Anyway, the rubber backed area rug is a great idea...I've been using that for a good many years...no problems.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS FIAVOCAZ(FRANK)CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) DOING WHAT I DO with the ROPE AS A ANCHOR to
    My (STOOL) & the HI-HAT(SOCK) I NEVER HAVE ANY prolems With THE BASS
    DRUM MOEING SIDE to SIDE**THIS WORKS FANTASTIC FOR Me*& so does USEING THE U joint shape NAILS only on CERTAIN STAGES** or within some
    other VENUES*of My GIGING **GRACIAS **

User Info Menu

I agree with the ones that posted using carpet. Maybe you should get some bass drum legs that have the spikes. Mine stay put with them and my pedal has them too.

User Info Menu

I use a magical flying carpet, it holds the drums in place , plus I have the added bonus of just saying allakazam and poof I am home in no time. great gas milage too. I use the carpet from an old minivan!! plush thick and real road worthy. get yourself to the scrap dealer , today.

User Info Menu

I went to my local carpet store and picked up an 8x12 remnant they had laying around for about 30 bucks .

User Info Menu

I've known one or two drummers nail the BD to the stage!!!!

now thats Rock n Roll!!!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

welcome

User Info Menu

If It Keeps Sliding On The Carpet, Nail A 2x4 To The Underside Of The Frontof The Rug... You Wont Go Any Further
    THE CONCEPT OF SELF SCERINITY ELUDES ME

User Info Menu

that happended to me too, my set would move from one side of the basment to the other side, i took an old rug and out it undeer my set, and now it stopped sliding

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I use a 4' x 8' black light weight area rug that I got at Wal mart for $20.00 it works beautifuly, has a rubber back so it stays where it is put and my drums look good on it! It was a win win for all the way around!
    i have 3 of the same capet. one for each band member

User Info Menu

for a quick solution, cinder blocks haha (i've seen it too many times)

User Info Menu

I use a rubber backed outdoor carpet I got at Lowes. I also put strips of heavy duty velcro on the bottom of my base drum pedal. I have aslo used bass drum achors. I believe Gibraltor makes one.I saw a rug designed for drummers at our local GC that had a stop built into the rug itself. Sort of like a carpeted speed bump. Now that I have a new set with the bass drum legs that have a retrackable spikes and a pedal with the same (Speed kings don't have spikes) my bass drum stays put!!

User Info Menu

I put an freezer i have in front of my bass drum to keep it from sliding forward....lol...just kidding....

Rugs work great...its even better if they're free...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes