Thread: counting

User Info Menu

Default counting

counting what do u all no about counting in drumming. off timing and stuffs like dat.

User Info Menu

What do you mean specifically kord? I know a lot about odd times and odd phrasings, metric modulations, etc.

User Info Menu

yeah u gotta b more specific

User Info Menu

yea i dont get it...

we are drummers.. remember?
    you gotta make sure it makes sense before you ask us.. lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i actually wanted to post a standard message but i had no time to do that. Actually what i meant was is off counting really meant for free styling or we can stylishly add it to a piece of music as it goes on. people are always like why do u impede my dancing with dos off or odd timing stlyes!

User Info Menu

hmm...well..Ill give this a shot- Dont get me wrong..im 17 and have been playing for 3 years and I still no nothing soo...

Counting time:
    4/4 time= 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
    counting the number and saying "and" for every +
    3/4 time= 1 + 2 + 3 +
    2/4 time= 1 + 2 +

now if your reading real music sheets (not tabs online) it will give u what the time is and then you will be able to play accordingly- unfortunatly i cant go into detail without a visiual representation...if this is anything like the answers you were looking for then Ill hit you back on it

User Info Menu

I still have no idea what the question was....

User Info Menu

to explain Odd timeing...i dont count i have no musical knowledge except how to tune i just listen and play what i hear... or watch themplay the song and play it
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

yea what he said

User Info Menu

counting is for sissys

User Info Menu

Yes I agree. I try to get to the point where I don't need to count, just express. Besides, counting serves no purpose except to verbalize. Indian tabla drummers have syllables for each different stroke of the drum.... for example... Te re ke te Ta ka Duh na tu na. The only thing you need is a steady pulse. If you can sing it in time, you can play it in time.

BTW, welcome to the group MeditativeDrumming. Your thoughts are refreshing.
    Last edited by drummer; 10-12-2006 at 09:25 AM.

User Info Menu

The Indian symbols are also a method of counting. It's not different in my opinion.
    I believe counting is necessary in the beginning especially with younger players, and when working on more advanced rhythms. That said, "just expressing" would be the next step. Moving beyond counting as a crutch and feeling the pulse as you mentioned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kord Jazz
    counting what do u all no about counting in drumming. off timing and stuffs like dat.
    COUNTING???????????????????? YOU HAVE TO COUNT?????????

damn i knew i was fogetting somthing

dave

User Info Menu

lol...you guys are a* holes!
    jk u knows i luvs ya

I read music and count when im trying to learn something so i know im doing it right and perfect time

then I just do it

User Info Menu

Default Re: counting

Odd question