Thread: Advice for a Newbie

User Info Menu

Default Advice for a Newbie

I am looking at buying my first set of drums and I need some advice in deciding between two options. I'm looking at biginner level kit and I have narrowed it down to two choices at identical prices. Tell me which makes more sense:

1. New Tama Imperialstar 5 piece
    2. Used Pearl Export 6 piece (has 10" tom extra)

I'll hold discussion about the cymbals for later, but just on the merits of the drums themselves, whats the best route to go. The Tama Imperialstar is a true beginner set; the Export is Pearl's next step up (call it an intermediate level) from the Forum line. I think the Pearl Vision line recently replaced the Export line(?). The Export appear to have some design advantages over the Tama such as the tom mounting system ... better isolation. Does this stuff really matter? Let's assume I replace the heads either way. Will going with the Export keep me satisfied longer with the set, or will I be anxious to upgrade just as quickly?

Thanks for any light you can shed.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice for a Newbie

I have a 5 pc Export. So far, I like it. It is all that I have really played on. The one thing I don't care for is the way the toms are nearly impossible to group closer. I am waiting fro some new heads, so I will se how they sound. My good friend has an export that he upgraded and it does sound pretty good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    The one thing I don't care for is the way the toms are nearly impossible to group closer.
    I had the same problem on my first kit (which was just a load of wood that was coincidentally in a round shape and had bin lids for cymbals).
    The solution is to go Mapex and use their ball mount system for so much customization. I see so many Mapex kits today and their quality is second to none.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Thanks Ethyl!

User Info Menu

You didn't mention the price point you are looking at. I began playing in 1960 and my first kit was a Pearl, made in England. It was terrible! The hardware was the absolute pits! That cost me $300 back then. Today, I see some extremely beautiful and powerful kits from Pearl and would be proud to own. I bought my current kit, Ludwig Classics, in 1964 and they have been with me ever since. I got my $300 back as a trade - in and spent an additional $250. My point is, if you can, I really believe you will be much happeir with something other than purely an entry level kit. Good luck to you and, Welcome to the Forum.

User Info Menu

go for a Mapex - Q, QR or VX are entry level kits & quality is second to none plus exceptional value for money! They is also a package with Zildjian Planet Z cymbals as well....

http://usa.mapexdrums.com/drums/q/index.asp
    http://usa.mapexdrums.com/drums/qr/index.asp
    http://usa.mapexdrums.com/drums/vxplasma/index.asp
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Save and get a mapex m birch kit maybe $700 with hardware and high quality thinking about getting one for myself!!

http://usa.mapexdrums.com/drums/mbirch/index.asp
    Last edited by 2slow; 05-16-2008 at 07:12 PM.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I agree with 2slow. If you can save and get an M birch you will not need to upgrade your kit fror years.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

I'm not so sure, my first kit was a tama stagestar (which they dont even make anymore) and I've lived with it for a few years although now I'm getting a gretsch renown. but anyway tama sets are fine for your first set, they held up great for me and sound fine. i would recommend starting with a tama for only a couple hundred bucks and seeing if you really wana stick with drums or not.
    Yea thats right, you wish you where me.

User Info Menu

There are some excellent suggestions. Something else to think about is what type of music do you want to play. Some people feel that certain drum brands sound better with certain types of music. While there is some truth that certain drum sounds may be associated with certain forms of music, I personally feel its the drummer who makes the drums sounds so good.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I agree with 2slow. If you can save and get an M birch you will not need to upgrade your kit fror years.
    I agree as well. My kit is an M Birch and I love it to bits.

User Info Menu

With the choices you've given, I'd personally go with the Tama since I don't like Pearl.
    Like some of the guys above mentioned, you can't go wrong with the Mapex kits. They're much nicer than the other two, and less money. I can personally vouch for the VX since I have one, but I got upgraded to that. The M Birch isn't much more money than the VX, so I'd suggest the M Birch over the VX for that reason. The QR is cheaper yet and has some killer finishes.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I play Mapex and Yamaha, and have an M Birch kit, and it's an outstanding value. That said, the VX and QR are formidable opponents to the Imperialstar and Exports.

But what is most important here is what are you able to afford? I'm personally glad to see you're considering something entry level in a top brand, rather than some of the cheap no-name entry level kits. But if you do plan on staying with drumming, either way you'll want to upgrade at some point. If we're talking $300-400 here, that entry level kit may still last you a couple of years, and you'll get lots of enjoyment out of it. While you're improving your skills you can set your sights on something better down the road.

Quite honestly, there are an awful lot of drummers out there that are plenty satisfied with Imperialstars and Exports. And a lot of guys who have a Royce, or other cheaper brands would love to be in your position.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

i agree with norske, if your price range is low you should go with Tama. i dont like pearl either, they've deteriorated over the past few years. but i also agree in that if you've got the money you should go with an M birch, its a great kit for the money.

User Info Menu

Out of the two suggested i would definitely go for the export. 1) its 6 piece, 2) it is more of an intermediate kit compared to the imperial star which i think is more of a beginner kit (generally not as good build and sound quality) 3) i think it would last longer and 4) if its used it could be an older export range which ive heard have a better build quality than the new ones.

Either kit would be an excellent starting kit though, its mostly about cost i would say as which one to go for. Like many people have said, mapex are also a very good make. $700 dollars for an m birch?? They cost £700 over here!! Sometimes i wish i lived in America.

Shazane Guest

I have only good to say about the Exports, they're great quality for the price and the isolated mounting system is awesome. And if you can get a 6 piece I would definitely go for that.

User Info Menu

all you people who like pearl can die, cus i don't like pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    not that i actually don't like you people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Ooooh, low blow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Like many people have said, mapex are also a very good make. $700 dollars for an m birch?? They cost £700 over here!! Sometimes i wish i lived in America.
    £700 for an M Birch? I picked up a Saturn shell pack for £650!..... I love the internet!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England