Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went Cowbell shopping

User Info Menu

Default Went Cowbell shopping

So I got the idea to add a cowbell because I saw Steve Gadd doing some interesting stuff. I always thought of them as an epically cheesy 80s rock gimmick that gets tired REAL fast, but this made me reconsider. It was funky and tasteful; musical.

I headed to the best drum shop in town expecting to get one of the cheapest in store... Oh good! $13 sounds about right. But I needed to hear for myself what's the difference between a cheapie and the high end stuff? Sure, some of the more expensive ones DO sound moderately better, but then I spotted a shiny one with no price tag. It was head & shoulders above the rest of the 15 or so they had in stock: a Gon Bops timbale bell, Alex Acuna signature. Whatever, I go to the cash and the guy tells me $60 (CDN) +tax! Not today... and I walked out thinking I can probably find one online for less. I was (semi) wrong...

Seems they're just not very popular but I discovered there are other models/sizes and I had no idea what the differences are. I finally found a shop selling the Bombo bell on sale for $40, so I drove out to get it. It is friggin HUGE, much larger than expected but had the same musical sound of the timbale bell. The guy tells me their other store downtown has the other 2 models on sale too, so I drove down to grab a second just for giggles.

Now I have the Bombo and Timbale bells for a faux Timbalero thing and I need to work on my latin rhythms. I just find these bells so musical -you hit them in different spots and get a variety of sounds like any good cymbal. Maybe all cowbells can be this cool, don't know & don't care! I'm just proud of my impulse GAS purchases and it's good to know there's more to the instrument than the cheesy 80s crap.
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Went Cowbell shopping

For those about to cowbell cheaply, there is this.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/steel-cowbell-97659.html

User Info Menu

You probably would have found 1 faster if you asked a cow.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Natman View Post
    So I got the idea to add a cowbell because I saw Steve Gadd doing some interesting stuff. I always thought of them as an epically cheesy 80s rock gimmick that gets tired REAL fast, but this made me reconsider. It was funky and tasteful; musical.

I headed to the best drum shop in town expecting to get one of the cheapest in store... Oh good! $13 sounds about right. But I needed to hear for myself what's the difference between a cheapie and the high end stuff? Sure, some of the more expensive ones DO sound moderately better, but then I spotted a shiny one with no price tag. It was head & shoulders above the rest of the 15 or so they had in stock: a Gon Bops timbale bell, Alex Acuna signature. Whatever, I go to the cash and the guy tells me $60 (CDN) +tax! Not today... and I walked out thinking I can probably find one online for less. I was (semi) wrong...

Seems they're just not very popular but I discovered there are other models/sizes and I had no idea what the differences are. I finally found a shop selling the Bombo bell on sale for $40, so I drove out to get it. It is friggin HUGE, much larger than expected but had the same musical sound of the timbale bell. The guy tells me their other store downtown has the other 2 models on sale too, so I drove down to grab a second just for giggles.

Now I have the Bombo and Timbale bells for a faux Timbalero thing and I need to work on my latin rhythms. I just find these bells so musical -you hit them in different spots and get a variety of sounds like any good cymbal. Maybe all cowbells can be this cool, don't know & don't care! I'm just proud of my impulse GAS purchases and it's good to know there's more to the instrument than the cheesy 80s crap.

Good job doing your research and successfully finding something you like.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You probably would have found 1 faster if you asked a cow.
    Rick, that's not necessarily the best advice. Most cows only have a demo.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Man View Post

oh man lol Harbot Freight cowbell

User Info Menu

I don’t have a cowbell, but if I were to get one, it would be the lp rock ridge rider
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Good job doing your research and successfully finding something you like.

Bish, these are cowbells we are talking about. Cowbells and china cymbals are, without doubt, the 2 worst sounding "things" ever put on a set of drums.

To the OP, buy the cheapest 1 you can find because 99% of the people won't know the difference between the "worst and cheapest" cowbell and the most expensive 1.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Man View Post
    Actually, they got great reviews. Here’s my favorite. Sounds like something Rick would have wrote;
    52B78E15-B7A8-45F2-8E7B-6A9DFC13F040.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Growing up on a farm, I can testify this; the only time you need to give a cow a cowbell is when their horns quit working......

-Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I would rather listen to 3 guys who just had kielbasy, cabbage, beans, and beer, have a f**ting contest than listen to a cowbell or a china cymbal.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Haven't had a cowbell on my kit for years until recently. Only use it for two songs. I hate how those things sound.

User Info Menu

@Rick...I'm with you on the china cymbal but I think you need to cut the lowly cowbell some slack. Hard to diss a whole genre of music (Latin) that is driven by the cowbell clave.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Actually, they got great reviews. Here’s my favorite. Sounds like something Rick would have wrote;
    LOL That's a great review..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Harbor Freight for $4 is the cheapest way to go and there is an on-line sound example of one.

There are many different sounds to choose from which makes it more difficult to choose.
    LP makes a variety
    top-ten-cowbells.jpg

The LP rock ridge rider (Red) sounded the best to me.
    The classic ridge rider (Yellow) sounded typical to what an actual cowbell might sound like to me.
    So you'll have some sound sampling shopping to do.

I've found using a cowbell my parents brought back from Germany that sounded awesome.
    Not too much different than the Lp rock ridge rider
    Cowbell 1.jpg

I've even went on to try one of these Swiss cowbells.
    A regular drum stick can't do it justice. Too dull and clunky sounding.
    Cowbell 2.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-26-2018 at 08:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a ridge rider. The yellow one. I like it.

Cowbells sound cool to me.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    @Rick...I'm with you on the china cymbal but I think you need to cut the lowly cowbell some slack. Hard to diss a whole genre of music (Latin) that is driven by the cowbell clave.

all the best...
    kay-gee: I don't "diss" ((G_O_D, how I hate that word) the genre, it's that I/we literally never played that style.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

kay-gee: I don't "diss" ((G_O_D, how I hate that word) the genre, it's that I/we literally never played that style.
    Nothing like a nice quarter note cowbell pulse to give certain tunes an earthy, organic vibe.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Nothing like a nice quarter note cowbell pulse to give certain tunes an earthy, organic vibe.

all the best...
    E29A6BC8-E947-4112-93FD-CD32ACFA8DF6.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I can't believe people don't enjoy a good china...
    don't get me wrong there's a lot of bad ones but there are some beautiful ones too lol

User Info Menu

all the best...
    This megan-fox-at-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-movie-set-in-new-york-06-29-2015_1.jpg is a 5/4 pattern which simply means that if you can last 5 minutes be4 she kills you, you will most certainly be ready for 4 fingers on Johnny Walker to help you on that trip to oblivion with a smile on your face like the Chesire Cat. th.jpg I know that she is a tad off the wall, but that is why G-O-D, in his infinite wisdom, put a lot of walls in my house.

As for the cowbell. I would imagine that you would need 1. Don't you have those Mariachi Bands there.

Have to love the time variations in that cowbell pattern. Line 4 especially, where it goes from 4/4 to 6/8, then from 6/8 to 11/4 and back to 4/4. Sheer genius.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I can't believe people don't enjoy a good china...
    don't get me wrong there's a lot of bad ones but there are some beautiful ones too lol
    Believe it Zack. They remind me that back in my younger days when all the garbage cans were metal and you could hear the garbage men throw the lids back on them after they dumped them out at 6 in the morning.

That was the precursor to the china cymbal. I can't think of another way to ruin the beautiful sound of a set of finely tuned drums then to put a china and a cowbell on them.

I guess that what you hear as "beautiful" doesn't seem to translate well to my world. I have no idea why that is, no, wait, I do know, THEY BOTH SOUND TERRIBLE.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Harbor Freight for $4 is the cheapest way to go and there is an on-line sound example of one.

There are many different sounds to choose from which makes it more difficult to choose.
    LP makes a variety
    top-ten-cowbells.jpg

The LP rock ridge rider (Red) sounded the best to me.
    The classic ridge rider (Yellow) sounded typical to what an actual cowbell might sound like to me.
    So you'll have some sound sampling shopping to do.

I've found using a cowbell my parents brought back from Germany that sounded awesome.
    Not too much different than the Lp rock ridge rider
    Cowbell 1.jpg

I've even went on to try one of these Swiss cowbells.
    A regular drum stick can't do it justice. Too dull and clunky sounding.
    Cowbell 2.jpg
    I was taking a ride the other day. While I was watching my gas gauge go down, I was stopped by a gaggle of cows that wanted to know where Olimpass lives so they could stage a home invasion and get their cowbells back. They looked really pi$$ed which cows are prone to get when someone takes their cowbells away.

Beware Olimpass, this could be you.

I think that's kay-gee standing by the bike looking for bikini chicks.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Seems to me that a cowbell on a Loreena Bobbitt type might help.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Growing up on a farm, I can testify this; the only time you need to give a cow a cowbell is when their horns quit working......

Winningest post on the internet for the entire month. Thanks for the laughing outburst.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I have a ridge rider. The yellow one. I like it.

Cowbells sound cool to me.
    Yeppers, that's the same one I have but don't currently use. I'm now using a Kat electric 4-pad for a set of bongs, a tamborine and the dreaded cowbell. It's the doo-hickey black thing to the left of the mounted tom. Can you say convenient?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeppers, that's the same one I have but don't currently use. I'm now using a Kat electric 4-pad for a set of bongs, a tamborine and the dreaded cowbell. It's the doo-hickey black thing to the left of the mounted tom. Can you say convenient?
    If you're in a band doing Rock to Classic Rock, you gotta have one even if you don't use it all the time. I have done what Bish has done in the past, it works! And yes, convenient.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 05-28-2018 at 12:09 AM.