Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wake up call

User Info Menu

Default Wake up call

The other day I stepped outside after playing and someone asked what all I play and I told them mostly Classic Rock and Hard Rock.The person said he noticed I play nothing real complicated . After further conversation with him I went back inside.

I then realized he was right. I am still using the stock single base pedal. However I am also to the point where I know my stock Remo UX heads do not sound all that great. Now I had planned on waiting to switch out the heads until I learned control and basic coordination. I went ahead and bought that Train engine I mentioned in another post However I chose a more expensive version that cost me $356. Now I am starting to wonder If I should have gotten New Heads and a half decent double Base Pedal instead.

Right now I have enough for either the pedal or the heads and I will not have any extra money for a few Months..... more like half a year. I will most likely forget about the heads and get the pedal but I want other opinions on this one before I make a final decision.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wake up call

I then realized he was right. I am still using the stock single base pedal. However I am also to the point where I know my stock Remo UX heads do not sound all that great. Now I had planned on waiting to switch out the heads until I learned control and basic coordination.

************************************************** *******************************************

If you're waiting to switch heads unitll you've learned some control and basic coordination, how is getting new heads going to change that? Before anything we do can sound decent, organized and sensible to the music, we have to have the basics under control. Are you taking lessons? If not, perhaps you should invest in those before you do anything else. Just my thoughts...

User Info Menu

Well Ive got coordination down pretty decent already which is why I am at the point where I had planned on replacing the heads but never gave it much thought on the DB pedal. until a few weeks ago and then the other day.

No I do not take any lessons the gas alone would cost around 30 bucks a trip to the nearest music store that gives lessons. Ugh Had we only listened to Thomas Edison on using Electric motors in cars.

User Info Menu

You might make a compromise. I know that quality heads is important in making the drums sound better. And, I know that having good equipment motivates practicing and playing. If you really want the double pedal, then be certain that you have a batter head on the bass drum that is the very best that you can have for your purposes. At least you will then have the bass taken care of and might have a few $$ for a good snare batter head. You can always keep the toms muffled until you replace them.

User Info Menu

You need to ask yourself do the drums sound ok the way they are now . If you were happy before talking to your neighbor then ask yourself what makes him an expert as opposed to yourself . After-all it is your eears listening to the sound .

I would wait till the heads get holes in them before swapping them out , and save the $$ for something else you would want or need first . 6 months from now when you have more cash saved up and need nothing else then go them if you still want.

Good luck .

User Info Menu

I agree with GF. What makes your neighbor an expert on drums? Sounds like he got under your skin just a bit, and made you doubt yourself. Forget it. Buy what you need to help you in your next step, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks, just be true to what helps you progress. Besides, even a simple pattern with a rock steady beat, when played behind other instruments can sound good. Again, don't let your neighbor make you doubt yourself.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

you don`t have to play double bass to be a `good`drummer...dont let your know-it-all neighbor pee you off like that....get some new heads, get some tone back in your kit, and play your rock music. ask your neighbor if he has ever heard john bonham drum...take your double-pedal sermon and shove it!

not to offend you double bass drummers...i owned a set of pdp boa pedals...i found it wasnt my style, and got rid of them....its important you know your place as a drummer...work on single stroke triplets and double stroke rolls if you`re bored...pedals wont make you a drummer, you must be a drummer before you use double bass....cheers...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

i know more about sound than i do about drums, and if the sound is not what you want then this is going to subtract from your enjoyment of playing the instrument.. a guitarist would get new strings, a engineer would purchase new studio monitors.

i have a double kick on my kit that i have just disconnected - as i am learning it was just getting in the way. Ive heard some great things on utube with just one pedal.

I would like to play model trains as well, they are great fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I agree with GF. What makes your neighbor an expert on drums? Sounds like he got under your skin just a bit, and made you doubt yourself. Forget it. Buy what you need to help you in your next step, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks, just be true to what helps you progress. Besides, even a simple pattern with a rock steady beat, when played behind other instruments can sound good. Again, don't let your neighbor make you doubt yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    you don`t have to play double bass to be a `good`drummer...dont let your know-it-all neighbor pee you off like that....get some new heads, get some tone back in your kit, and play your rock music. ask your neighbor if he has ever heard john bonham drum...take your double-pedal sermon and shove it!

not to offend you double bass drummers...i owned a set of pdp boa pedals...i found it wasnt my style, and got rid of them....its important you know your place as a drummer...work on single stroke triplets and double stroke rolls if you`re bored...pedals wont make you a drummer, you must be a drummer before you use double bass....cheers...

Exactly what they said!
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

decide what is more impportnat the pdl. or the head

User Info Menu

You said your playing wasn't complicated. New heads won't make things complicated. If you play your music with a steady beat, and do what is called for, then I would say nothing, but GREAT JOB! If things get too complicated, no one will understand what you are trying to say. IMO I think if you can take a "classic rock" song and "beef it up" making it your own, that's enough complication. True music comes from YOUR heart!

ThePloughman Guest

Heh, Ive been using a single bass pedal for 35 years. And, I dont play anything complicated. But I would sure like to see double bass blast beats or whever you call that 390 bpm rumble, on a traditional version of Amazing Grace. Play what fits the music you are playing. Forget complicated. Thats really "overplaying." Lots of guys can play complicated and cant play music.

User Info Menu

He really did not get under my skin. A little criticize m can go a long way It just bothers me a tad bit. Just was not sure which would benefit me more.

My town use to have 8 Music stores years ago now we have zero... It is like music left. Kind of depressing. I usually talk to my cousins with advice but they are so busy these days.

Thanks for the advice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beasty101 View Post
    He really did not get under my skin. A little criticize m can go a long way It just bothers me a tad bit. Just was not sure which would benefit me more.

My town use to have 8 Music stores years ago now we have zero... It is like music left. Kind of depressing. I usually talk to my cousins with advice but they are so busy these day

Thanks for the advice.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS BEASTY101 CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMER (CAT) FORSURE AND VERY COOL **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    You said your playing wasn't complicated. New heads won't make things complicated. If you play your music with a steady beat, and do what is called for, then I would say nothing, but GREAT JOB! If things get too complicated, no one will understand what you are trying to say. IMO I think if you can take a "classic rock" song and "beef it up" making it your own, that's enough complication. True music comes from YOUR heart!
    HOLA COMO ESTAS *BASSISTLARNINGDRUMS CREATIVE aRTISTIC BASIST //DRUMMER (CAT) EXCELLENT **Mi AMIGO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post

HOLA COMO ESTAS CRAZYDRUMMER CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS A FACT EXCELLENT * LOVE IT

User Info Menu

beasty ever herd of charlie dainels? ringo starr? zac starkly? jhon henry bonham? ive listen to everything these guys have ever done, and allmost none of it is real complicated, but it made the music live, i struggled for a long time with playing overly complicated stuff i assumed because i can play what i hear in my head that i wasnt playing anything complicated, and i destroyed a good number of songs in my atempt to be complicated, but being a good drummer has nothing to do with being complicated, its all about bringing the music to life, maybe adding some spice, maybe just pumping the blood.
    but how i would remedy your neghibor problem invite him to come sit in on your kit, see how he fairs. (i do this with my gituarist when ever i have a hard time it makes me feel like buddy rich) ill bet he cant even play the basic 4/4 rock beat, and if he can maybe you found a teacher.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

A neighbour telling you that what you're doing isn't very complicated is a 'wake up call'?
    Not to be offensive, but waking up to what exactly? Criticism? Not everyone is godly within a few months of sitting on the kit. It takes so much effort to be good, so ignore what he says. He'd probably be blown away replicating what you want to do.
    Stock pedals are fine. Stock skins are fine as well (unless you really wear them out). Neither will make a better drummer out of you. That's up to you alone.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I think that learning what not to play is almost more valuable live than over playing. It took me to mature as a player to realize that. I would listen back to recordings of shows and realize that what I thought sounded good live on stage really sounded too busy when I heard it played back. Evan the Elton John band I play for when I learned the music exactly as it was recorded sometimes sounded like too much when I heard it played back because of all that was going on around me, so I have even simplified my parts on that music somewhat. And I realized when I heard Elton's concert live at Madison Square Garden on DVD that Nigel Olson has simplified some parts for the live shows. I play much more basic now than I did 20 years ago. When I do blow off on the the kit, it is where it is appropriate and only for a moment, and then it is back to the pocket for me. Don't let uninformed opinions sway you. You play the way you feel it should be played and don't give it anymore thought!
    Last edited by backtodrum; 06-11-2008 at 10:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    When I do blow off on the the kit, it is where it is appropriate and only for a moment, and then it is back to the pocket for me. Don't let uninformed opinions sway you. You play the way you feel it should be played and don't give it anymore thought!

in the pocket is where we are supposed to be. when you play with a band..dumping all of your "cool chops" into every song gets really aggrivating for anyone listening (even drummers). save that stuff for soloing. get in the pocket and stay there man...you can throw in a little spice but work it all from the pocket.

giving the option for dbl pedal ( i do play dbls) or sticking with the single and buying heads. heads would win everytime for me. i switch between setting up with dbl and single now anyway just to keep my style fresh and in chk.

User Info Menu

Honestly, i want to say that you shouldn't overhaul your set just because someone told you you play simply. If you want to do it go ahead but don't base it off of someone you don't even know.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Wake up call

...The person said he noticed I play nothing real complicated.
    What's so terrible about that? If you're playing it cleanly and in time, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I would agree on the lessons--if you aren't taking them, they would be worth it...

...the gas alone would cost around 30 bucks a trip to the nearest music store that gives lessons. Ugh Had we only listened to Thomas Edison on using Electric motors in cars.
    But then the electric rates would be up there with the gas prices!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    ...What makes your neighbor an expert on drums? Sounds like he got under your skin just a bit, and made you doubt yourself. Forget it. Buy what you need to help you in your next step, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks, just be true to what helps you progress. Besides, even a simple pattern with a rock steady beat, when played behind other instruments can sound good. Again, don't let your neighbor make you doubt yourself.
    My thoughts exactly, PB. You're not here to satisfy your neighbor...You do your best and don't let him distract you...

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Y...If things get too complicated, no one will understand what you are trying to say. IMO I think if you can take a "classic rock" song and "beef it up" making it your own, that's enough complication. True music comes from YOUR heart!
    It's always easier to start simple and add to it, than to overplay and have to take something out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    Honestly, i want to say that you shouldn't overhaul your set just because someone told you you play simply. If you want to do it go ahead but don't base it off of someone you don't even know.
    Yeah...what da Turtlinator said!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Lots of good advice here.
    I've got two double bass kits. Here's my advice: Go for the heads. You don't need to learn double bass right now. The heads you have are pretty bad. I know, I had some and replaced them immediately. Get the heads, learn how to tune, and learn it well. Keep developing. You can always add a double pedal later. There is no rush on that. You may even decide that you don't want one. If you really want to get your left foot (assuming you're playing righty) active on the bass drum, set up your kit lefty and force yourself to play that way. It'll help you millions of times more than getting a double pedal.

As for not playing anything too complicated... who cares? Your primary job as a drummer is to keep time. If you can't do that well, playing fancy will only hurt you. Get the timing down and get some killer groove. That'll get you much further than playing fancy.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    HOLA COMO ESTAS *TURLINATOR*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) LOVE IT EXCELLENT AND THATS A FACT* GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    What's so terrible about that? If you're playing it cleanly and in time, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I would agree on the lessons--if you aren't taking them, they would be worth it...

But then the electric rates would be up there with the gas prices!

My thoughts exactly, PB. You're not here to satisfy your neighbor...You do your best and don't let him distract you...

It's always easier to start simple and add to it, than to overplay and have to take something out of it!

Yeah...what da Turtlinator said!
    HOLA COMO ESTAS *BONGOBRO *DRAGON & MI AMIGO *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (GATO) LOVE IT *ITS A FACT *GRACIAS