Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone buy from L A music in Ontario Canada?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone buy from L A music in Ontario Canada?

Just wondering if anyone here has bought anything, drum hardware in particular, from L A Music, said to be Canada's largest on-line music store?

I would like to hear from you, good or bad experiences.

I ordered, and paid for at the time, some DW hardware on March 21st (this year) and haven't received anything to-date. I've been in touch - long story. I'm getting a little fed up because I was led to believe the items (four cymbal arms) were in stock at the time I placed the order.

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone buy from L A music in Ontario Canada?

I don't know but I just got a package from Canada today and it had that store's name on it. I opened it up and guess what?
    Four cymbal arms!!

Just teasin' ya. Never heard of that shop. Maybe it'll show up soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I don't know but I just got a package from Canada today and it had that store's name on it. I opened it up and guess what?
    Four cymbal arms!!

Just teasin' ya. Never heard of that shop. Maybe it'll show up soon.
    Ya had me going for a moment - good sense of humour!

Well - they said they had them in stock when I ordered them and I would get the items in a few weeks - it will be three months on Saturday and nothing yet.

They're not answering my emails either.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Cancel the order Kona you are obviously getting the short end on this one. Buy them from interstate music or someone else. Or get a hold of DW directly and see what they say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Cancel the order Kona you are obviously getting the short end on this one. Buy them from interstate music or someone else. Or get a hold of DW directly and see what they say.

I did get in touch with DW State-side and they looked into it 3 weeks ago. I got a reply shortly after that. DW said they found the problem but didn't tell me what it was. All that they said is that the product has now left "their" end and they didn't know how long it would take for the items to get to L A Music and on to me.

The more frustrating thing for me is that L A Music won't answer my emails or they didn't track down the problem for me in the first place. I had to do the "leg" work myself and the DW person only heard about the problem from me.

And I did send an email stating I want my money back and that I would be ordering the items elseware. I'll have to wait and see if and when I get the $200+ back.

Some of the on-line stores in the USA do not ship to Canada and if they do sometimes there are problems just like the one I'm having here. I do have a USA shipping address, but then I have to drive down to pick the items up. It's worth it for me to do that when ordering big ticket items, but not for a couple of hundred $$.

I ordered from Canada (where I live) because I thought I'd like to give them some business - I've ordered stuff from the USA (not through local retailers - but on-line) in the past with only a few small problems. However, when I order items through the local drum stores, that have to in turn order from the USA, it's a different story - the waits are painfully long most times!
    Gary

User Info Menu

When I'm not "Drumming", I estimate residential moves for a major National Moving company. Freight forwarding to and from Canada is getting nightmarish as a further consequence of post 9/11. Drivers are now required to carry passports and/or visas. International restrictions have gotten to the point of near crippling freight trafficing and the costs are sky rocketing. Diesel fuel is closing in on $5/Gal and, with only 5 or 6 miles per/Gal, something has to give. Delivery schedules are being held up to accomodate Full Load freighting rather than ship by LTL (Less Than Load). It's not going to improve anytime soon, I'm afraid. I can appreciate why manufacturer's cannot be more precise about delivery schedules. More and more, consolidation on shipping is going to take over direct routing and everyone is held hostage. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend any position...just telling it like it is. As for non-responsive Retailers, what can they tell you? If you take a moment to think about it, they are more the victim than any customer...they don't know when they going to receive the merchandise that we want and they risk losing us as a customer base. When you buy equipment, you are not buying from the manufacturer. That has already been sold by the manufacturer to your particular retailer and we, in turn, buy it from them. Neither party is exclusive to each other. I know that this may not help much but it is a perspective I have that some of you may not.

User Info Menu

Interesting information fiacovoz, but it makes since why everything is so messed up with freight companies anymore. I can see the Canadian problem also, but two months seems excessive for cymbal arms when they can be mailed direct from the factory once the order is placed, it would seem to me anyway.

User Info Menu

Actually it's THREE months, not two.
    And I do see it from the retailers point of view. I've had some intersting conversation with retailers about the boarder. Fuel prices just add to potential delays when ordering from the USA into Canada.

However, I can't see any excuse for leading me to believe the items were in the Ontario location and would be shipped directly and grabbing my money. When they knew full well that it would be probably be a very long time indeed before I ever saw my cymbal arms. That's what really makes me angry. It just seems so misleading.

If, when I placed my order they would have told me they don't have the cymbal arms and it may be months before I would receive them, I could have at least made a decision then and there about whether or not to place the order.

Does that not make sense?
    Last edited by kona; 06-20-2008 at 12:18 AM. Reason: added something
    Gary

User Info Menu

I'd suggest that you pick up the phone and speak to someone in person. An email doesn't carry anywhere near as much punch as an upset customer on the phone.

That way they can't ignore you or pretend that your call accidently went into the spam folder.

User Info Menu

Im sorry to hear about your misfortune....I work at the largest music store East of Quebec City, and every day its a constant cycle...`did this get ordered,` and `did Mr. Jones get his stuff he ordered` Its sad to say that alot of companies aren`t there to service the musicians, but to line their pockets.

Anyways, if i can be of assistance to ya, let me know. We would be happy to order your stuff for you, or anything else for that matter.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

If, when I placed my order they would have told me they don't have the cymbal arms and it may be months before I would receive them, I could have at least made a decision then and there about whether or not to place the order.

I couldn't agree with you more on that score. As customers, we can make informed and intelligent decisions. In early May, I ordered another instructional drum DVD and was told I would receive it in 5 - 7 business days. It was 6 weeks later when I finally got it!! I wrote a couple of e-mails and learned that there had been a production delay with the promise it will be sent within a few days. I waited and mailed again to mildly rebuke the entire process. The next day I saw that my account had been credited for the shipping fee. Some companies do care and will try to make things right.

User Info Menu

Yeah, try the Bahamas!!!! I'm waiting on a crate from Canada. One of the freight handlers in the chain from there to here, folded up shop, mid shipment. Complete pain in the you know what.

all the best...

User Info Menu

As for LA music, I've been in the srore a couple of times, but I didnt realize they were an online retailer. Interesting!

all the best...

User Info Menu

iv ordered stuff off amazon

User Info Menu

I just got off the phone with L A Music and they told me March (that's when I ordered my cymbal arms) was very busy for them. They said they'd call me back on Tuesday they're trying to have some cymbal arms shipped to them - "they're a very popular item."

I told him to disregard my email cancelling my order and keep in touch........we'll see.
    I should have my cymbal arms by Chirstmas - that would be nice!
    Last edited by kona; 06-20-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

I have only dealt with them on 1 occaison....last month I ordered a power amp to drive my mixing board.......I had the sucker within 2 days, blew me away (Im near kitchener Ont.)...on my guitar forum people use LA music a lot, and i don't recall any major issues......perhaps their site was not up to date and they are waiting on new stock??.........you know what they say bud: ...'' patience, a virtue found in men, seldom in women"......if you get to the top of the mountain you may be able to see the truck on it's way.....should be able to see Sask from there....lol.........G.A.S. sucks don't it.
    cheers
    Gerry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF WRATH View Post
    I have only dealt with them on 1 occaison....last month I ordered a power amp to drive my mixing board.......I had the sucker within 2 days, blew me away (Im near kitchener Ont.)...on my guitar forum people use LA music a lot, and i don't recall any major issues......perhaps their site was not up to date and they are waiting on new stock??.........you know what they say bud: ...'' patience, a virtue found in men, seldom in women"......if you get to the top of the mountain you may be able to see the truck on it's way.....should be able to see Sask from there....lol.........G.A.S. sucks don't it.
    cheers
    Gerry
    That's encouraging, nice to hear you got your stuff.

I guess a three or four month or longer wait for a few cymbal arms isn't that bad. I don't know what I'm complaining about.
    Gary

User Info Menu

hey bud I think the time wait is very unreasonable........however I believe them to be a reputable company........the problem these days is that a lot of stuff is made off-shore, and it can take 2 months plus for the shipment to get to the company that ordered it, get it inspected, get it repackaged, and then send it on to the distributer, in this case, LA Music.......LA should have had their "stuff" together and said "look bud, its going to be "X" time before we can ship to you"...........boy, I must say BC is a beautiful province, lucky you.
    cheers
    Gerry

User Info Menu

hey bud I think the time wait is very unreasonable........however I believe them to be a reputable company........the problem these days is that a lot of stuff is made off-shore, and it can take 2 months plus for the shipment to get to the company that ordered it, get it inspected, get it repackaged, and then send it on to the distributer, in this case, LA Music.......LA should have had their "stuff" together and said "look bud, its going to be "X" time before we can ship to you"...........boy, I must say BC is a beautiful province, lucky you.
    cheers
    Gerry
    HI
    Yes - it's a nice place to live for sure - it's getting awefully expensive to live here though.

I was in touch with L A Music a few days ago again. I was told, again, it's going to take 7-10 days for the shipment to get to them, but the cymbal arms are on there way and they'll ship them as soon as they arrive.

They told me at that time I could either wait or they would give me my money back. I told him I've waited this long another month isn't going matter at this point - as long as I get the drum hardware.

Like I said, and you echoed, it would have been better if they would have told me from the start that there may be a long wait. I might have even bought them knowing there was going to be a long wait - I don't know, but to be told from the start that they had the items is just not a good way to treat a customer.
    Last edited by kona; 06-29-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

cheers
    Gerry
    Well - I just picked up my cymbal arms from CanadaPost yesterday - they finally arrived - it took over 15 weeks! That's about exactly the same time it took for my special order Gretsch shellpack to be delivered last year.

Another issue here:
    I was horrified to see how my stuff was packed and shipped! The box was opened (about 1.5 - 2" on one end of the box) exposing the four shrink-wrapped DW cymbal arms (you know - the way they are packaged to be hung up on the display in a drum store). One of the packages was broken open (it looks like it had hit something solid and popped out of the shrink-wrap). They were just loosely put into a large cardboard box and left to "rattle" around in shipping! Unbelievable! There was no padding in the box at all.

The CanadaPost cleark said it was about the worst packaging job she has ever seen.

I took some photos and sent them to L A Music and the DW rep. State-side.
    I haven't had a chance yet to properly inspect the rest of the cymbal arms - I'm hoping I won't find damaged goods.

They (L A Music) advertised "free shipping for oders over $99." I told them in my email yesterday that I would rather pay for the shipping if it ment getting some decent care and control of the packaging.

Just thought I'd pass this along - since I did start the thread.

Cheers,

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

Glad they finally arrived Kona. It seems crazy you went through what you did for some cymbal arms but at least you have them now.

User Info Menu

If the outer box was opened, maybe it was full of packing peanuts and now they are all over the shippers truck floor?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    If the outer box was opened, maybe it was full of packing peanuts and now they are all over the shippers truck floor?
    It is funny you say that Bish because you cannot get rid of those suckers when they spill, they are from to "pit of ever lasting fire" if you know what I mean. You cannot get rid of them all, I had a buddy growing up who's dad was a shipper, and we literally filled a girls car with packing peanuts in high school. there were packing peanuts still blowing around the high school parking lot a couple of years later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    lol - Ya - I guess that's why that parcel post guy was so pissed when he brought my package into the CanadaPost outlet !

AND
    Backtodrum - that's funny - and I do know what you mean about those suckers!
    Last edited by kona; 07-17-2008 at 05:18 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Glad they finally arrived Kona. It seems crazy you went through what you did for some cymbal arms but at least you have them now.
    Right - I woudn't have bothered with buying them except for the expensive mounting system (Gibraltar 9813dp tripod stands) I bought would only accept the smaller diameter (3/4")tubing which only a few companys make these days. So I am happy to have finally received them for sure. Gibraltar stopped making the tubing that fitted to the Ball Joint Extension Arms (SC-BJEA) which you need to fit to the tripods - go fugure........DW and Premier were the choices out there that I found.
    Gary