Thread: top hats!

User Info Menu

Default top hats!

g'day

when watching the good drummers on youtube - i notice all of em at some stage keep the beat with the hats, by letting the foot slap the hats together...so its not an open hat or a closed hat - no sticks are involved.
    2 q's please:
    what is the name of this?

do you know any exercises that with help with the independance of the feet? i would like to kick the hats to hold the 4:4 rather than the kick... and let the kick wander on OFF beats. as usual mine are locked. time for a bossanova perhaps?

regards to all all this great site!
    Last edited by r00n; 06-23-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: i can not speell

User Info Menu

Default Re: top hats!

Hi r00n , youve probably already heard this and are most likely gonna get tired of hearing it , but it is true...............practice , practice , practice .

Try playing real slow , then gradually as time goes by speed up the tempo until youre comfortable playing that tempo , then increase the tempo again until you are where you feel you have it .

The more you play the more comfortable things will seem . Just remember ,you wont see results over-night .

You will eventually get to a point where I always say , you will just be able to " feel the groove" . Kinda hard to explain but youll know what Im talking about when you get there .Just have fun with it and donr burn yourself out trying to get there tonight .

User Info Menu

ill keep practicing

im not going to burn myself out gonefishing

i am having a great time on the kit.

i just wish i could play it by ear like you say... and i want this to come a little quiker.

I look forward to the day when i can hear a ryhthm in my head like "boom chugga lugga lugga" then go and play it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by r00n View Post
    ill keep practicing

im not going to burn myself out gonefishing

i am having a great time on the kit.

i just wish i could play it by ear like you say... and i want this to come a little quiker.

I look forward to the day when i can hear a ryhthm in my head like "boom chugga lugga lugga" then go and play it.
    you will get there ,you have the drumming bug and theres no getting rid of it now............lol

it is nice to feel the groove , but more important is knowing the drum techniques youre trying to learn now , keep up with the rudiments to get there quicker................best of luck to ya

User Info Menu

hey r00n!

i dont have this mastered yet but i have practised it lots....once you use this onstage, the band finds it easier to connect with the drums...

my drum teacher taught me this little exercise to build my independence with my feet....it was reeeealy hard at first....

play a straight 8th note beat..`1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +`....

play normal beats with the bass and snare, use the ride on 1 2 3 4, and use your left foot on the +`s....

once you get that....reverse it playing the 1 2 3 4 with your left foot.....

cheers
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

by the way the technique is called foot splash i belive.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

It sounds awesome when you put a tambourine on there, then you get the Whole Lotta Love breakdown sound...
    I use my left foot so that I have one limb specifically assigned to the role of time keeping, and that's frees up my right hand. It's also good fun because when you've got all 4 limbs working at once really fast on different stuff, you'll be flyyyyyyyyyyyinggggg!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    hey r00n!

i dont have this mastered yet but i have practised it lots....once you use this onstage, the band finds it easier to connect with the drums...

my drum teacher taught me this little exercise to build my independence with my feet....it was reeeealy hard at first....

play normal beats with the bass and snare, use the ride on 1 2 3 4, and use your left foot on the +`s....

cheers
    yep this is a good one Roon, also look up some clave left foot work, and change up the kick while holding it down, as previously mentioned having a tambourine or something else attached to the top of the hats to make them really audible so you can check your progress is good advice.

User Info Menu

do you know any exercises that with help with the independance of the feet? i would like to kick the hats to hold the 4:4 rather than the kick... and let the kick wander on OFF beats. as usual mine are locked. time for a bossanova perhaps?
    I think a good exersize for this would be to play an ostinato (short repeating patter) between your feet. For example: LLRL (L is left foot and R is right foot. All is quarter notes on the feet.)
    Play this ostinato until you dont need to think of it to keep it going. When you have achived this, you could start by playing singles strokes over this pattern (RLRLRLRLR and so on ect. All is eith notes on the hands.) If you manage this easyly you can move onto other stuff with your hands such as doubles, triplets, paradiddles, flams ect.
    If you do this often enough yo will begin to see results in the end.
    Hope that helps!

User Info Menu

hey r00n!

cheers
    ok i think i got it - let me check..
    is the bass playin the 1 , 2, 3, 4, snare on the 2 and 4, 1&2&3&'s on the ride, and the foot splash (thanks for the info Drumdavie) just on the &'s?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo mk:II View Post
    I think a good exersize for this would be to play an ostinato (short repeating patter) between your feet. For example: LLRL (L is left foot and R is right foot. All is quarter notes on the feet.)
    Play this ostinato until you dont need to think of it to keep it going. When you have achived this, you could start by playing singles strokes over this pattern (RLRLRLRLR and so on ect. All is eith notes on the hands.) If you manage this easyly you can move onto other stuff with your hands such as doubles, triplets, paradiddles, flams ect.
    If you do this often enough yo will begin to see results in the end.
    Hope that helps!
    wow thats a hard one - once the hands come in to do another pattern im completely lost
    I LOVE IT

User Info Menu

ok i think i got it - let me check..
    is the bass playin the 1 , 2, 3, 4, snare on the 2 and 4, 1&2&3&'s on the ride, and the foot splash (thanks for the info Drumdavie) just on the &'s?
    just the bass on 1 & 3....1 2 3 4 on the ride, &'s on the foot splash as you call it!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

wow thats a hard one - once the hands come in to do another pattern im completely lost
    I LOVE IT
    Don't worry mate. Just keep at it. Youll feel great when you get it.

User Info Menu

There's a foot paradiddle in Tom Sawyer!

I just thought I'd share it with you. Because, erm...>_>
    Tom Sawyer is annoying, I can't do one handed 16th notes with the same power he has.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    There's a foot paradiddle in Tom Sawyer!

I just thought I'd share it with you. Because, erm...>_>
    Tom Sawyer is annoying, I can't do one handed 16th notes with the same power he has.
    wheree's the paradiddle? just curious....

Tom Sawyer is a good song to learn, to play it you gotta get a little peart in you...

User Info Menu

wheree's the paradiddle? just curious....

Tom Sawyer is a good song to learn, to play it you gotta get a little peart in you...
    Just after Geddy Lee sings his first line, the DUH DUH DUH DAHHH! bit or whatever. Where he starts crashing the crash with the snare. Just before that bit in the groove, he plays a reverse foot paradiddle, RRLR.
    It annoys me because I don't bother with foot work.