Thread: HOw to play an accent properly?

User Info Menu

Default HOw to play an accent properly?

Problems are arising in timing when i want to accent - and playing fast - its flammin with the bass drum or im totally losing it.

i remember someone telling me, frank i think, that the higher the stick goes the longer it takes for it to strike. sure it does.. and i dont think that the brain really compensates for this.. not 100% - so how do we make a accent stroke?

i thought id google before making another post for a stupid question and i found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsf4AkqIyAU

man thats an ugly shirt he wears! LOL
    Hows his technique? look at the height of that stick. Is it too high?

User Info Menu

Default Re: HOw to play an accent properly?

Quote Originally Posted by r00n View Post
    Problems are arising in timing when i want to accent - and playing fast - its flammin with the bass drum or im totally losing it.

i remember someone telling me, frank i think, that the higher the stick goes the longer it takes for it to strike. sure it does.. and i dont think that the brain really compensates for this.. not 100% - so how do we make a accent stroke?

i thought id google before making another post for a stupid question and i found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsf4AkqIyAU

man thats an ugly shirt he wears! LOL
    Hows his technique? look at the height of that stick. Is it too high?

Nah...its not too high...its totally what feeels comfortable...its in your head...once it feels right in your head, you could hit it from 5 ft in the air. Practice it slow, get it feeling right in your head.....an accent usually just means your pronouncing it more(hitting it louder).....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

Shazane Guest

If your stroke is fast enough the difference in time is negligible.

Because F=MA acceleration matters more than the height you go from. Say you're using your wrist for a normal stroke, then on an accent you use your fingers as well for extra speed, then you get more force.
    Last edited by Shazane; 06-28-2008 at 11:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Well from what my teacher has told me the height of the stick determines most of the volume, not how hard you hit. I mean given that if you swing hard you hit hard and it's louder, but you'll probably pull up higher. Also, you can probably compensate on the time thing.

User Info Menu

How high you should go when you accent is relative. If you are playing with fingers, a wrist stroke will be accented as it is of a higher volume than the others. If you are playing with wrist strokes, a big high "arm stroke" would be an accent because of it is higher in volume.
    Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

Problems in timing when learning how to accent is pretty much standard so dont stress about this. Slow it down and really get the feel of the accent and where you want to place them. Lifting the stick up and flicking it down with the wrist (snake bite action) or accenting with just finger work is all good, its all accenting if it is louder and stands out from all the other hits.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

This has been a great thread. I'm working on accenting now, and you have all helped me to to understand better. Drum Chat is great! Thank you!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what you mean by Accent. There are many types and are played different ways. However, I'm guessing that you mean generic accents as in snare drum playing. One of the new charts I have my band working on is titled "Cajun' cookin' " and it is in the New Orleans street beat style. I play it on snare drum ala swing cadence and accent on both snare and bass. To do this, I keep my unaccented strokes close to the head and use a normal wrist stroke for the accent. Think Stanton Moore style of drumming.

User Info Menu

Another tip, say, if you are having a hard time getting your less strong hand to stand out from the rest when learning to accent it. Try playing all the notes quieter than normal. Then it's a bit easier to have your accent stand out. This helps me anyways. I guess that is obvious. But when I was learning accenting, it was the first time i really really considered volume. Before, I was just banging out everything, just trying to be on time and learn a beat or what have you.

User Info Menu

Accents are easy. Practice really slowly with 16th notes and put accents in. I find that it comes from the wrist; that's where the rhythm comes from. Putting a little more pressure and power into your wrist when you want to accent something will help.
    Also, another form of accentuation on the drumkit are rimshots. This is when you hit both the head and the rim of the snare at the same time with your stick. It creates a thick cracking sound and provides a really solid backbeat.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...