Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool congas

User Info Menu

Default Cool congas

Has anybody seen these congas?

Their called Resolution drums by Rolph Flores son of tom Flores. I don't think you can get these at GC or Mf.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cool congas

Doggone it, L4C! I'm gonna short-circuit this keyboard from droolin' over that conga...and thinkin' how cool it would be to play a set!

Have you played them?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cool congas

Sorry Bongobro, Just drool a little to the left Ha
    I once bought a lp drum from a guy who had the whole set of 3 of these Resolution drums, I didn't think much of it at the time but I came across the website today and found out their about a grand a piece!
    ahhh... It's nice to dream
    L4C

User Info Menu

Put on a bib before you check out volcanopercussion.com. Some seriously beautiful drums.

User Info Menu

Wow Shane, you are soooo right!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cool congas

Sheesh, I had to mop spills up today at Wally World and now I gotta get another mop to clean up the mess in here! I've seen the Volcano Percussion site, dudes...nuff sed...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Yup! Volcano's are nice and seems to be the rave of the conga world theses days although theres alot to be said about Timba Percussions, Fat congas, Isla Percussions, Jay Bereck Skin on Skins, Moperc Congas and the ones above Resolution congas. Did I miss anything
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Yup! Volcano's are nice and seems to be the rave of the conga world theses days although theres alot to be said about Timba Percussions, Fat congas, Isla Percussions, Jay Bereck Skin on Skins, Moperc Congas and the ones above Resolution congas. Did I miss anything
    L4C
    luv4congas
    Don't forget Valjes - right?

The last I heard was that Ralph bought the Valje name back from LP and was in the process of setting up shop in L.A. I've heard nothing for about a year now.

Santa brought me new heads (flats) for all my drums last Christmas. I will be tucking all my Valje's one of these days (again - will do a better job this time - I'm really fussy).

Yes - those Resolution drums are quality drums for sure.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    luv4congas
    Don't forget Valjes - right?

The last I heard was that Ralph bought the Valje name back from LP and was in the process of setting up shop in L.A. I've heard nothing for about a year now.

Santa brought me new heads (flats) for all my drums last Christmas. I will be tucking all my Valje's one of these days (again - will do a better job this time - I'm really fussy).

Yes - those Resolution drums are quality drums for sure.
    Oh Yah, Valjes. Aren't the Resolution congas the new Valjes? From his website he also specializes in drum repair and it show before and after pics on old original Valjes in addition he sale skins that look like the originals.
    BTW...Man thats a nice set you got there, WOW! Kona you don't mess around do you. Sweet
    L4C

User Info Menu

Very nice! I have always wanted a set...maybe one day
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Oh Yah, Valjes. Aren't the Resolution congas the new Valjes?
    BTW...Man thats a nice set you got there, WOW! Kona you don't mess around do you. Sweet
    L4C
    Thanks for the nice comment re: my drums.

Check out this link. There are some comments regarding the difference between Resolution & Valje drums. Also some news about Ralph Flores and Valje..........interesting:
    http://congadr.blogspot.com/2008/08/...lje-bongo.html
    Gary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the nice comment re: my drums.

Check out this link. There are some comments regarding the difference between Resolution & Valje drums. Also some news about Ralph Flores and Valje..........interesting:
    http://congadr.blogspot.com/2008/08/...lje-bongo.html
    Let us know if Mr Ralph Flores up dates his website with the new Valjes congas, it will be interesting because the Resolution congas look so much like an old Valje, whats the new Valje gonna look like?
    Thanks kona,
    L4C

User Info Menu

Let us know if Mr Ralph Flores up dates his website with the new Valjes congas, it will be interesting because the Resolution congas look so much like an old Valje, whats the new Valje gonna look like?
    Thanks kona,
    L4C
    Yes - that will be something to look forward to.
    I did read somewhere that he (Ralph) will be going back to the 31" tall format for the Valje's. As you may know that was the original depth before it changed to 30".
    Gary

User Info Menu

Yes - that will be something to look forward to.
    I did read somewhere that he (Ralph) will be going back to the 31" tall format for the Valje's. As you may know that was the original depth before it changed to 30".
    I can't wait, I'm contemplating selling all my Lp's and settling down with a final set but not sure which ones, Timba Percussions, Isla Percussions, Jay Bereck, Resolution or new Valjes. Volcanos out of the question do to the price. but I'm leaning more towards Timbas or Resolutions.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Timba Percussions, Isla Percussions, Jay Bereck, Resolution or new Valjes. Volcanos out of the question do to the price. but I'm leaning more towards Timbas or Resolutions.
    L4C
    That is something nice to look forward to - they're all nice drums.
    Ya - I know what you mean re: the price of Volcanos. Come to think of it - i just may retire in Hawaii and wrangle me some of those Volcanos........dreaming!

Cheers,
    Gary

User Info Menu

I can't wait, I'm contemplating selling all my Lp's and settling down with a final set but not sure which ones, Timba Percussions, Isla Percussions, Jay Bereck, Resolution or new Valjes. Volcanos out of the question do to the price. but I'm leaning more towards Timbas or Resolutions.
    L4C
    All excellent drums a step above any LPs. Heads up on Isla, he is moving operations out of the country. They will still all be hand made by Mario, but expect prices to go up, and wood choices will likely be different. If you want some canoe or cherry Islas, now is probably your last chance. Also check out Matthew Smith of Ritmo, arguably the finest congas ever built.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    check out Matthew Smith of Ritmo, arguably the finest congas ever built.
    Wow - man! Nice drums alright. Thanks for that.
    Gary

User Info Menu

very nice. thats real wood right?

User Info Menu

Oh- my- god! The mahogany ones Wow, I got to have a set of those, I think I'll tell my son college is over rated!
    L4C

User Info Menu

very nice. thats real wood right?
    Yes, he uses a lot of different types of wood, you can get pretty much anything you want, check out the Tiger Maple! Matt is a true craftsman, everything is handmade in the traditional style, he even makes all the hardware and the finishing. They are made to order, so you will expect a lengthy turn around, probably 6 months or so, but well worth the wait.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure those were my Resolution drums you saw and that I was the one that sold the LP Conga to you.

User Info Menu

I went to the site for Volcanos and saw different kinds of woods. How do those stack up to the other kinds for durability and sound? Anyone know?

User Info Menu

I went to the Isla site and noticed Canoe wood? What is that? Also , why the prices so (relatively) cheaper than the other congas elsewhere?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    I went to the site for Volcanos and saw different kinds of woods. How do those stack up to the other kinds for durability and sound? Anyone know?
    They do have a different sound, as with any differences in wood, it is subttle but noticeable to the trained ear. I've heard a few of the Mango wood drums and the sound was nice a round, little bit of ringyness to the overtones. There are probably some you tube videos of volcanoes that you can hear the differences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    I went to the Isla site and noticed Canoe wood? What is that? Also , why the prices so (relatively) cheaper than the other congas elsewhere?
    Canoe is a species of Hickory I believe. Mario did have some nice prices compared to the other boutique makers. Last I heard he was moving shop down to Central America and prices were expected to increase due to international shipping costs. I also heard that he would be switching to different woods that are more readily available to the new shop, so Canoe and Cherry are likely to change. I have not heard any follow up though, so I can't verify any of this. I have heard excellent reviews of Isla drums though.