Thread: Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Question Drum Cases

I've recently come across the need for drum cases, and would appreciate some help with problems that have been ran into.

I haven't seen any luck with finding cases for the toms on my Tama Swingstar with the measurements:
    9x12 tom
    10x13 tom
    16x18 floor tom
    18x22 bass
    5.5x14 snare

When I was at a semi-local Guitar Center today, SKB seemed to have the best ones that fitted my needs (hard-cased with foam padding). However, considering I plan on getting a new set in 2 years when I go to college, spending $600-$800 didn't seem like a good idea for just a two-year investment.

So my questions would be,
    your favorite brands?
    should I just get cheaper, soft-cases until my new kit?
    where I could find good cases for my 9x12 and 10x13 toms?
    do any brands offer any kind of return special for size exchanges?

Thanks a lot for any help, it is much appreciated.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Cases

I pondered the same question.

I went with SKB and made sure my current and new drums were of the same sizes. Since I like fusion sizes all my kits are that way and my one set of cases fits every kit.

If you commit to any cases now, you should really think about down the road what you are planning on doing. One thing, if you know what your new drums will be, buy the cases for them now and make them work for your current kit or if you buy them with the new kit, you might get a better deal as a package.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Have you checked Tuxedo bags for the sizes you need? I needed a 9x13 for my small tom and they put that size in the lineup. From what I was told, a 9x13 is not as common today as it was 40 years ago.

User Info Menu

I picked up a set of road runner cases at guitar center, hard cases but no padding. I line them with old towels works fine, and a fusion set was less than $200.00 not sure they'll have your sizes but they would be worth looking into.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

i have soft cases and they are beato, its prolly not the number one brand but i havent had any problems with them, and i really dont need anything heavy duty right now.
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I have soft Kaces brand cases and have had them for 6 years now and they have held up really well.

User Info Menu

i have a set of purple sheets, works like a champ, fits every sized drum, and it is fairly cheap( unless you get satin)

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

ThePloughman Guest

I have a variety.
    Humes and Berg Tuxedo, some Gators, Codas, and some custom made, in bags
    H&B Enduros, unlined in hard cases, and a mixed variety of snare cases.

User Info Menu

which ones do u like the best ploughman
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

mine are a mixed bunch of skb, enduro pro, an old tuxedo and a djembe case that holds my 10 and 8 inch toms. the enduros and skb are the best but quite expensive.

ThePloughman Guest

Enduros and SKB are the best.. And like has been said, expensive. My personal preference is to use a Bag, with the hardcase. Tuxedos and Enduros together.

User Info Menu

i think i'm going to get a mix of tuxedo/gator soft cases for now and then get SKB with my new set. thanks for all the input
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

User Info Menu

hard cases are more important for snares. more parts to bang around.

User Info Menu

I have a set of Gator soft cases. They are great for what they are, but they don't really offer much more than protecting the shells from scratches.

Sometimes I think my drums are worse off when in the cases... Well meaning people will help me to bring the drums to or from my car, and since they looked well protected, don't really go to much effort to avoid the drums banging on doorways and other obstacles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post

Sometimes I think my drums are worse off when in the cases... Well meaning people will help me to bring the drums to or from my car, and since they looked well protected, don't really go to much effort to avoid the drums banging on doorways and other obstacles.
    Too true. Good point! I've noticed that, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have both hard cases and soft cases, I used to only have hard cases, once I started gigging every weekend I got over lugging in the drums two at a time. I picked up a set of soft cases / gig bags. I love them. I picked up a cheap set on ebay for 80 bucks. I have been using them for about 4 years now and they are still holding up.

there are sets on ebay all the time well under $100.00, the sizes do not have to be exact, as long as they are the right diameter or even and inch or two bigger is fine.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I have sort of the in-between solution myself.

I use Nomad fiber cases. they're pretty inexpensive, and do a nice job of protecting my drums. I also have had people helping me haul my drums in and out of various locations and noticed that they think the drums are bulletproof because they're in cases. But I also have enough room to wrap each drum in a towel in the case.

I have the 7-piece set - I believe they sell new for around $200-250. Fortunately I found a set on Craig's List and picked mine up for a lot less.

However, my next purchase is going to be SKB's. Just a lot better protection, and I'm moving my kit a lot, so I want the extra peace of mind. Not to mention that they do sell large cases that you can put 2-3 drums into, with dividers between them. I'll be checking them out more seriously in the next month or so. I also have a Kaces hardware bag that I've been using for about 6-7 months. It already has a hole in it. That will be the first thing replaced with an SKB hard case.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.