Thread: Rudiments question.

User Info Menu

Exclamation Rudiments question.

Hi everyone,
    If you memorize all of the 40 rudiments perfectly, would they show up in your playing without you knowing?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rudiments question.

No...you still have to think.
    It expands your creativity though. And the ease with which you play difficult techniques.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

when u say show up in ur playing, what exactly do u mean?
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I disagree, I would say "yes" they will. Maybe not as a concise thing like " I am going to do a 5 stroke roll with 2 flams " but what will happen is you will start to play things that you could not before or in a way that was not comfortable before. Just keep practicing them, get them as smooth, even and articulate as you can. It will sow up in your playing.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I would agree with you on that score. Rudiments are the basis for all stickings and would be impossible not to show up in anyone's drumming. Some might suggest that triplet patterns would be the exception. Not really, since sextuplets are oftem played with double paradiddle sticking. Even straight triplets assume a rudimental stroking when played as RRL RRL RRL or LLR LLR LLR...with or without a flam, it's a variation on the Swiss Army Triplet. BTW, if you really want a neat exercise that will improve rudimental sticking and smoothness at the same time, alternate measures of 16th notes played as single paradiddles with measure of 8th note triplets played with paradiddle stickings and maintain the same tempo throughout:

RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL | RLR RLR LLR LRR | LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR | LRL LRL RRL RLL etc.

Suggust that these be worked out on the pad then trasferred to the drumkit...makes for some terrific fills and set patterns.

User Info Menu

in my experience they have showed in my playing. variations of the paradiddle are always showing up in my fills. i just dont realize it until i slow it down and think about what i'm playing.

User Info Menu

Nope
    put god first ,than drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL | RLR RLR LLR LRR | LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR | LRL LRL RRL RLL etc.

Suggust that these be worked out on the pad then trasferred to the drumkit...makes for some terrific fills and set patterns.
    Great little exercise Frank and alternating the R and L is a bonus. Do the same on double kicks for the double kick players.

I also agree that the rudiments will come through in your playing. I am really starting to understand how they are the building blocks and I have been playing for over 4 years. Just goes to show the time needed to understand this great instrument and that mastering it takes decades if ever. But as STICKS would say, it is a lifetime of learning and mastering and enjoy the journey
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Amen to that LiveWire...

User Info Menu

Frank,
    Cool. That opens another door about how to practice rudiments.

User Info Menu

IMO... once you learn something about drumming, it can get stored in your head easy, and sometimes you will feel rudiments that you have learned throughout the years just all of a sudden come out of nowhere. the marching drumline did alot for me, i find myself pushing out naturally, what i have learned in the past. you'll feel it, just keep going!