Thread: New drummer with some questions :)

User Info Menu

Default New drummer with some questions :)

Well first off hello. My name is Theron and I'm 15 (16 next month). I started playing the drums last month. My dad used to be a drummer when he was younger so he showed me the basics and gives me tips now and then and i pretty much just go off on my own from there watching videos online now and then.

For a drum set i'm using a pretty old 4pc Remo drum set with like 35 year old zildjian cymbals according to my dad. Zildjian is engraved into them haha. So i'm using a pretty old school drum set.

But yea anyways for my questions....

First-
    I started working lately and sold a lot of my old paintball guns so my wallets pretty packed full at the moment and i was looking at drumsets.

{EDITED: You can post pictures but not links to the commercial stores - Admin}

are the ones that caught my eye. (Sorry if links aren't allowed). I'd probably pick up some um more recent zildjians to go with it to haha. What do you guys think would be my best bet for a drumset? I will be playing in a indie band later on in life me and my friends are all practicing a lot.

Second-
    I have a problem with my foot and the bass drum. The problem is i cant get myself to hit the bass drum at a different time then i hit something with my lead hand and i end up hitting the bass drum everytime i hit the high hat or the ride. Anyone have any tips and practices i can do to try to get rid of this problem?

Thank you,
    Theron(MaTrio)

User Info Menu

Default Re: New drummer with some questions :)

As for the coordination there is no shortcut. Get a good book and have your father teach you to read. Start working on exercises you will learn.

I do not know what you are looking at but whatever you do DO NOT get rid of your fathers old Zildjians. You will regret it later.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

are you playing left handed? or double bass?

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Don't be to quick getting rid of the Remo drum set and 35 year old Zildjian cymbals...some of that stuff is more valuable than you know. My own drum set is 44 years old (Ludwigs) and has a replacement value today over $4,000.

User Info Menu

Take it slow and be precise. Speed will come later. Use a metronome.

User Info Menu

Read this clearly, the cymbals you have are probably better than new in a lot of ways. keep them if they sound good and spend your money on a kit if you want. but keep the cymbals. Have I made that clear enough!

User Info Menu

I forgot to welcome you to the forum as well. There is lots of useful information here.

User Info Menu

The Zildjian cymbals you must keep, young Paduwan! Sell them not, except to your Jedi master, yes!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

LOL Theron, welcome to Drum Chat! You have already been given excellent advice, so I won't add anything to it other than to say that independence comes on it's own as your muscles and brain begin to addapt to what you're trying to do. As has been said, just start slow and get it right. Don't worry about speed at first, because you are building "muscle memory." When it starts to feel easier, increase the speed a little. Make it enough to be challenging, but not so fast that your independence falls apart. That is the way to gain independence. Well, that, a good lesson book, and maybe even a good drum teacher!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Are you listening yo me young gun.....good....sell those cymbals to me!!!!
    and welcome.

User Info Menu

good luck building that coordination...oh yeah...email me cause i want those old cymbals!! seriously!!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Hey I asked first and its not allowed to buy and sell on here!!

User Info Menu

sorry....just email me and we`ll talk...heheheheh....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Good advise already been given,but practise is the key.Even if your not on your kit just practise different beats tapping your knee's and start really slowly so you can spot mistakes early and correct them before they get to be a habbit.Also lesson's are a great idea.
    Keep those old zildjians.
    Last edited by chubbs; 07-28-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    Mapex m birch,black forest cherry,sabian,zildjian cymbals,big dog,pearl pedals,yamaha electric kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaTrio View Post
    Well first off hello. My name is Theron and I'm 15 (16 next month). I started playing the drums last month. My dad used to be a drummer when he was younger so he showed me the basics and gives me tips now and then and i pretty much just go off on my own from there watching videos online now and then.

For a drum set i'm using a pretty old 4pc Remo drum set with like 35 year old zildjian cymbals according to my dad. Zildjian is engraved into them haha. So i'm using a pretty old school drum set.

But yea anyways for my questions....

First-
    I started working lately and sold a lot of my old paintball guns so my wallets pretty packed full at the moment and i was looking at drumsets.

{EDITED: You can post pictures but not links to the commercial stores - Admin}

are the ones that caught my eye. (Sorry if links aren't allowed). I'd probably pick up some um more recent zildjians to go with it to haha. What do you guys think would be my best bet for a drumset? I will be playing in a indie band later on in life me and my friends are all practicing a lot.

Second-
    I have a problem with my foot and the bass drum. The problem is i cant get myself to hit the bass drum at a different time then i hit something with my lead hand and i end up hitting the bass drum everytime i hit the high hat or the ride. Anyone have any tips and practices i can do to try to get rid of this problem?

Thank you,
    Theron(MaTrio)
    I've got 20 Older Zildgians...some from the 50's 60's that are still my favorites today. I use them for recording and playing live. Some of these I've had since my early '70 days as a punk drummer in NYC playing C.B.G.B.'s, Max's Kansas City, Mother's, Cafe Wa? and I still play here in the NW today playing original music...Classic rock style, but I've played the LA scene in the 80's buttrock period and 90's Metal, so I've pounded these babies pretty hard.

Only two are damaged. my 24" (huge) ride has a small crack on the bell that's been there for 15 years or better and still sounds great, and I have a 20" crash with a cigarette lighter-sized chunk missing off the rim that still sounds great.

Most of these are 50's 60's Avedis Zildgian when they made them with more alloy strength. I have a couple of old 14's that make excellent fast crashes and they are simply old tops of high hat sets.

I have some newer 90's Zildgians New Beats that I use for 'hats, and an 18" crash and a 22" ride set and I combine those with my older Zils and recording or playing live they sound excellent.

Some of the older 20" and 22" Zils I found in hock shops for like $35-$40 bucks each. What does a new 22" ride run now? lol

I've got some Sabians too and a couple of Paiste's, But I love my Zils.

BTW. Best polish for cymbals? "Twinkle". My grandmother used to polish her silver with it and I get it at Safeway here in the NW.

Last edited by Destroyer; 07-28-2008 at 09:13 PM.