Thread: Major Snare Problem...Help Please

User Info Menu

Exclamation Major Snare Problem...Help Please

Well it all started yesterday while I was banging on my drums and my snares suddenly became very loose to the point that there was no snare sound at all. I thought maybe the throw off was hit off but it wasn't, the snares just seemed to loosen on their own. I took the snares off to inspect the throw off and it looked OK. I tuned the snare while I had the chance and then put the snares back on, tightened them, set the throw off etc. but the throw off wouldn't tighten correctly. After a lot of trouble and fidgeting I finally got it to the tightness that I wanted and the snare sounded great. I set it up with my kit and kept on playing, everything was fine. But then a half hour ago, I was practicing again and all of a sudden the strap that holds the snares in place broke. Now I am wondering what went wrong, why the throw off wasn't working correctly, why the snares broke, etc. Also, do I need a new snare drum since the throw off is broken? Thanks for everyone's help and please hurry I can't live without my drums! Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Major Snare Problem...Help Please

Hey toast!

First, you dont need a new snare drum. You can buy a throw off for it. It sounds to me like your snare throw-off gave up the ghost. Your snares broke because it was worn out too. Don`t despair. You should have your snare back on the stand for about 50 bucks.

Good luck!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Take some pics and we can help ya out
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

ive always thought it was a good idea to change your snare wires every so often, i know i have had a couple come loose and hang down sometimes, it drives me crazy.so i know what your saying....they can come loose, i've never had the whole rack come loose though. i have had throw off tension straps fail on piccolo snares as well. maybe try a good named brand throw off and wireset. it might cost a bit more, but you might get a little better performance and durability, maybe even some kind of warranty. did you already have a good brand wireset and throw-off though??i agree that pictures would defenetly help out with this

User Info Menu

It could be that you strap either slipped in the butt plate which caused the slack to increase in the snares, so you compensated for that by tightening up the throw off adjustment knob or something to that effect. That whole snare throw off mechanism is fairly simple in operation so it shouldn't be to hard to figure out the cause and find a suitable solution.

User Info Menu

i just dont understand how the tension strap could have broke if anything was loose, it sounds to me like a bad weld or bond somewhere.
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 07-31-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: horrible spelling

User Info Menu

Hi guys thanks for the help. I won't be able to put up any pictures because I am leaving for Maine at 7 am tomorrow for a week. I gave as much info as I could with as much knowledge about snares as I have. I'll try to explain again without the little story: The snares became very loose and the throw off wasn't tightening at all, I fixed it to where I thought it sounded good but then the (tension?) strap just broke. Also the throw off and wire set were the ones that came with the snare which is an old Yamaha, about 7 years old. Hope that helps. Thanks again for your info.