Thread: !*! Avoiding Wrist Injury !*!

User Info Menu

Exclamation !*! Avoiding Wrist Injury !*!

How can you avoid wrist injuries?
    Will take any advice!
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: !*! Avoiding Wrist Injury !*!

Well, its good to see that someone is prepared to take the steps to stop it.
    I injured both wrists, and so I would have to say:
    -If it hurts to play, STOP, take a break, ice the wrist/wrists that hurts and then check for swelling. If your tendons are bulging, take an Advil and let them rest, they should heal up.
    -When your playing for long periods avoid heavy lifting and hitting (that did it for me)
    -Be Careful
    -Know your wrists, if you get a new pair of sticks that are lighter or heavier, and you wrists hurt, ease into them, dont just play with them all the time right away
    Thats my 2 cents. Avoiding injury is the best thing you can do!

User Info Menu

Thanks!
    How long did it take for your wrists to heal? Was it serious?

User Info Menu

That's 2 cents, but priceless.

User Info Menu

Moeller Technique. You will find many examples of excellent instruction with this technique. It is based upon proper grip of the sticks and completely eliminates injury and fatigue while playing. Lessons with a good Teacher would also be of tremendous help and guiidance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Moeller Technique. You will find many examples of excellent instruction with this technique. It is based upon proper grip of the sticks and completely eliminates injury and fatigue while playing. Lessons with a good Teacher would also be of tremendous help and guiidance.
    I know about the Moeller Technique. I can go about 180 BPM with the Moeller tech. Thanks though.

User Info Menu

No Problem. I thought they were great too.

User Info Menu

As long as your technique is correct you shouldn't have to worry too much about wrist injuries.

I focused on my technique for a few weeks and I haven't experienced any soreness or pain in my wrists since then even after playing for extended amounts of time.
    Awaken The Dead - My Band

User Info Menu

i think u'd be extremely unlucky to injure your wrist while playing drums.. as long as you warm up, nothing should ever happen.
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

User Info Menu

I started getting pain in my wrist, my right hand especially and of course this got me very worried but i watched a video by stephen taylor on youtube about pain in the arm etc and i realised that i was hitting the hihat sideways instead of palm down. When i slightly turned my hand so that the palm is facing down the pain went away

User Info Menu

I make sure to stretch out before and after playing every time.

I've also tried wearing compression bandages. I had an arm injury and that has helped

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    I started getting pain in my wrist, my right hand especially and of course this got me very worried but i watched a video by stephen taylor on youtube about pain in the arm etc and i realised that i was hitting the hihat sideways instead of palm down. When i slightly turned my hand so that the palm is facing down the pain went away
    I think you are now officially known as "The Thread Reviver"!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    i think you are now officially known as "the thread reviver"!
    + 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Good thread to revive though... I play 3-4 hours a night without issue normally.. Last weekend i was practicing for a few hours and just hitting like an idiot... No idea how but i tore up both of my arms, it took about 3 days of not playing or anything to get back to normal..

One day i will learn to moller.. i just can't seem to get the motion down

User Info Menu

I've had some wrist pain in the past but nothing major. If it's constant for someone playing regularly maybe some things to look into, try some adjustments to how you're hitting, or maybe adjustments to height and angles of your kit. maybe try traditional and matched grip and see what feels better.

I remember Dave Abbruzzese saying his wrist pain got to be so bad that he had to get surgery. Not even sure if he's playing much anymore I know he's had some legal issues. but he was a very hard hitter
    Last edited by slinky; 06-19-2015 at 05:10 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Since this has been brought up.. one thing i have noticed, the day after i play the knuckles on my left hand are tight, not what i would call painful but like making a fist takes some effort.. anyone have this happen?

User Info Menu

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I think you are now officially known as "The Thread Reviver"!
    lol hummm just giving my two cents

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    Since this has been brought up.. one thing i have noticed, the day after i play the knuckles on my left hand are tight, not what i would call painful but like making a fist takes some effort.. anyone have this happen?
    Ice, use ice for 10 seconds(bag of frozen veggies, bag of ice cubes or ice pack) for your whole hand, allow your hand to return to normal temp, then do it again. Ten times a day really helps. This site explains it:
    http://www.tendonitisexpert.com/how-...lammation.html
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    lol hummm just giving my two cents
    No worries..........it is pretty interesting reading some of the old threads..............welcome to DC!

User Info Menu

I didn't warm up, and played for the first time in a few weeks, big mistake. My right wrist and arm are quite irritated. I actually think I may have tendonitis. So, I will get healed up, and keep my wrists and fingers streched, and not do this again.
    Guess I am not 25 anymore haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I make sure to stretch out before and after playing every time.

I've also tried wearing compression bandages. I had an arm injury and that has helped
    Never had any wrist issues, but wanted to respond to the idea of using compression bandages to avoid getting wrist injuries. Years ago I was into running a lot each and every night. I went to a specialty running shoe store owned by a couple world class marathon runners to buy some new shoes. While there I asked about buying ankle braces. They didn't have any and asked why I needed them. I said I was afraid of stepping into a pot hole at night and didn't want to sprain my ankle. They advised against the compression brace, saying that it will actually make the ankle weaker over time and more prone to injury because the compression brace takes the stress load instead of directing the load into the ankle, which over time will strengthen the ankle. Sounded reasonable at the time.

Merry Christmas Chatters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    How can you avoid wrist injuries?
    Will take any advice!
    Thanks
    most important thing I can think of is to play correctly. In short, don't squeeze the sticks, they should be loose in your hands. Otherwise all the force of hitting the drums goes to your wrist/forearm.
    Too Much Stuff.