Thread: Drum Kit or Mixer?

User Info Menu

Question Drum Kit or Mixer?

Ok so i just about have the money for the new kit im after (or i wilafter a small loan from my parents) But it was my dad who suggested an alternative option. Why not buy a small mixing desk first?

Ive composed alot of music on my computer that id love to try and record wth real instruments plus what with bands and all it would mean i could also record band songs. This would allow me to at last reach the holy grail, being able to start a thread in the highly acclaimed "what band do you play for" section.

As the mixing desk would not even take up half my drum kit budget i could save up the money again fairly quickly or blag a larger loan from my parents .

So i would greatly appreciate some advice on the subject as well as advice on what mixing desk to go for. My limit is about £300 and i was thinking maybe a behringer xenyx or somekind of mackie.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Kit or Mixer?

MS, your dad's idea of the mixer sounds like a good one. With what you want to do, and that you could save up for the drums again without too much delay, I would say go for it. Before we talk specific mixers, though, how many inputs do you need on the mixer?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drum Kit or Mixer?

I agree with PB, Stan...you would be able to put those dreams into reality by using a mixing desk (what I guess we Yanks would call a mixing board)!

It's a matter of getting something that you'll be able to use now--and may very well help you get those drums down the road.

Just how elaborate do you want to go? May be a matter of how much you can afford to spend for now...

good luck...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

so long as your current kit is in decent shape go for it.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

Shazane Guest

Do it, one of the biggest obstacles for unsigned bands is recording, get some good recordings and it's a much easier life.

User Info Menu

I was thinking 8 inputs. For a band 4 for drums, one guitar, one bass, one vocals. If there was a good mixer with 16 i would be tempted by that, but i think for the money i would prefer a better quality mixer with less inputs.

so long as your current kit is in decent shape go for it.
    That is just the one reservation im having, my kit is not in good shape and does not sound good. I think for a few preliminary recordings it wouldnt matter but it would affect my choice. Has anyone here had any experience recording and mixing drums because i think they are my primary concern. Is there any detail in a mixer i should be looking at which will make for better quality drum recordings? Thanks for the feedback so far

User Info Menu

Just how elaborate do you want to go?
    I think im looking for something around £200 to £300, i cant really think of any other way to describe something im looking for. Not necessarily the best i could buy with the money but just something of a fairly good quality that would give good recordings and last i guess.

User Info Menu

Ok ive definitely decided i wanna get one. i like the look of the behringer 1832FX. It has 18 inputs (6 mic inputs). Im not sure whether 18 is too much though. I think im just gonna go for it and stop being so indecisive!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Ok ive definitely decided i wanna get one. i like the look of the behringer 1832FX. It has 18 inputs (6 mic inputs). Im not sure whether 18 is too much though. I think im just gonna go for it and stop being so indecisive!
    Good for you MysteriousStan, now that you have made the decision don't look back!

User Info Menu

Ok i bought the xenyx 2222FX in the end. I thought, for only £20 more and 2 extra mic inputs, it was a good deal. No doubt il be posting a thread when it arrives about how to work something but thanks for the advice anyways.

User Info Menu

Nice purchase MS, and to answer your question about get good quality sound, it's about having good quality mic's. The old adage is "garbage in, gabage out," so just make sure you don't go cheap on the mic's. I did, and it was a mistake.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

yeh im still thinking about mics. My drum teacher recommended some that are meant to be very good for the money but are £150 and without leads. The leads would cost about £40 on top of this. There is also the option of some mics for £140 with leads and everything but they look cheaper and kinda more dodgy lol.They are apparently sold under lots of different names and stuff which kinda reminded me of those cheaper drum kits you see which are all the same but bear different names. Mics are a decision i shall have to face very soon.

User Info Menu

CAD makes some decent mics without breaking the bank.

I'm eyeballing a 7 pc set with carrying case for about $150 USD.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Oh dear you bought a behringer should have spent a bit more on a makie sorry. I'm sure it will do the job (for a while) tho. :P

You could look at getting a drum mic set, the clips ons usually have leads built into them. if you live in Europe try www.thomann.de

User Info Menu

Oh dear you bought a behringer should have spent a bit more on a makie sorry. I'm sure it will do the job (for a while) tho. :P
    Lol, ive heard alot of positive reviews on behringers, they seem pretty good for the money. I just wanted something basic and cheap that would get the job done. I did look at mackies but they seemed too expensive for a penniless student like myself. It was something ridiculous aswell, a 10 or 12 input mackie was like double the price of the 22 input behringer i bought. I know you do pay for quality but that just seemed extortionate to me! Still, i think the mics will affect the quality alot more and ive just purchased some which are affordable but are meant to be pretty good.

So what kind of equipment do you guys have? (just outta interest)

User Info Menu

MS, I've got a small Behringer mixer, and it's just fine. The knock on Behringer is not whether their gear is good enough, it's whether an individual unit is good, because of quality control issues. Just make sure you check it out, and use the warranty if you need to. I also have a Soundcraft powered mixer that does a prettty good job.

User Info Menu

Cheers for the advice bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Lol, ive heard alot of positive reviews on behringers, they seem pretty good for the money. I just wanted something basic and cheap that would get the job done. I did look at mackies but they seemed too expensive for a penniless student like myself. It was something ridiculous aswell, a 10 or 12 input mackie was like double the price of the 22 input behringer i bought. I know you do pay for quality but that just seemed extortionate to me! Still, i think the mics will affect the quality alot more and ive just purchased some which are affordable but are meant to be pretty good.

So what kind of equipment do you guys have? (just outta interest)
    Yeah for what your doing the behringer is fine I'm sure, its just when your doing a lot of pro sound work with them you notice the build quality.

I'm have a Mackie SR24.4 for some of the smaller gigs I do and use in house desks for other stuff. Having used a lot of behringer including their digital desk I can say that I personally much prefer something of higher quality. I'm not trying to put you down or anything, I was lucky I got my desk super cheap off my old neighbor.

How many channels does your 22 inputs equate to? Input can mean anything from mic input to aux return.