Thread: What do you guys think of this kit?

User Info Menu

Default What do you guys think of this kit?

gretsch catalina maple set

Im not really a beginner but im not a pro at drumming. I was thinking about getting that kit. What do you guys think?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What do you guys think of this kit?

do you like the sound for you?

User Info Menu

It's an excellent choice for a budget set, it has great tone and punch. If you've got $800 to spare, go for it.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat BK!

I have the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! The key is, as Zeta pointed out, will it be the sound that you love? The maple shell gives what is described as a "warmer tone," because the higher tones are not as pronounced. I love it, partly because it just sounds good to my ears, and partly because I want to play in a church setting, so the warmer sound seems better to me.

Will you love it? The only way for you to know is to hear maple drums, and compare them to drums made of other woods. If you're sold on the sound of maple drums, you'll be sold on the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If i were you I'd go down to a music store and see if they have any maple sets you can try on for size. and compare it to other woods such as birch

User Info Menu

The Gretsch Catalina are well made intermediate model sets that hold up well, and to me sound pretty good. If you like the sound of the set I wouldn't hesitate to get them.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

thanks for all the imput guys, it was greatly appreciated and helped me a lot