Thread: Kick pedal tension and technique

User Info Menu

Default Kick pedal tension and technique

(Quick background: I have no clue what I'm doing. I thought it would be "fun to learn drums".)

How's this kick pedal thing supposed to work? I mean, okay, step on it, mallet hits drum (or in my case, clever bit of electronics which pretends to be a drum). Step off, mallet flies back and bumps your ankle very lightly.

I've had a couple of times when I tried to hit the kick and what ended up happening was that the mallet hit a bit faster than I expected, and bounced back while I was still applying a bit of pressure, so it hit the head again. This produced a cool double-kick effect in no particular time. Am I supposed to be avoiding that or learning to control it?

I've been told to adjust the tension "down". There's a spring on the pedal, and a sort of screw thing on it, and if I turn it so the plain metal connector to the string goes further, the pedal fights back a lot less. That's what people mean, right?

And yes, really, I'm that unclear on this. I would like to state for the record that I owe drummers a general apology for assuming drumming was "pretty easy".

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick pedal tension and technique

Hello, it sounds to me like you are talking about the beater bouncing. e drums are notorious for this. If it is controlled and intentional that is one thing. It probably is a combination of the surface you are striking and your technique.

As for the pedal adjustment it really is a personal choice. Some prefer them tight while other prefer them loose. You have to play with it and figure out what you like. I personally prefer them somewhere on the looser side. I don't like to have to work to hard to strike the drum.

what kind of pad is it? If it is adjustable you can try loosening it up a bit so it is not as bouncy. I play a Roland kit and have my bass drum pad tuned down a little to help make it feel more authentic and stop the extra bounce

Once you get that all worked out you can start by simply playing a steady 1/4 not pattern to a metronome. Learn to control the pedal. It takes a little work but you will get it.
    Last edited by rmandelbaum; 08-25-2008 at 08:23 AM.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Hmm. My bass drum pad (a KD-8) doesn't seem to have any adjustments, but I haven't looked that closely. I haven't messed with it that much; I don't entirely understand how it's supposed to work, or how the pedal's supposed to interact with it. I was pretty surprised to discover that the kick pedal was a separate component, although it makes sense once you know about it.

User Info Menu

Get foot control. My right foot was pretty bloodied when I started playing and don't worry, you'll learn pretty quickly.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

yeah....good question about bass pedal tension etc....

This is kindof like asking someone what kind of soda they drink, as it is totally a personal setup...number one priority is what feels comfortable for you. Generally, as stated above by the much-educated drum chatters, less tension means less work for your bass foot, but again, its whatever you prefer. Recently I have tighened up the tension a bit, playing alot of blues, so the bass drum is more steady, really tight with the bass. I found with it tighter it gave me a little more control.

Have fun on the drums!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

In my experience, higher tension gives me more control but less speed; lower tension favors higher speed but less control.