Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you find drums strengthen your body? Or weaken it?

User Info Menu

Default Do you find drums strengthen your body? Or weaken it?

The questions pretty much in the title. Im curious if long time drummers feel that drumming has caused pain in their joints and such from the constant pounding or if it has had the opposite effect and stengthened their muscles and joints.

And actually more specifically my primary concern is the shoulder. What do you think in regards to shoulder pain and problems developing
    Last edited by StaticSmoke; 08-27-2008 at 10:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you find drums strengthen your body? Or weaken it?

Quote Originally Posted by StaticSmoke View Post
    The questions pretty much in the title. Im curious if long time drummers feel that drumming has caused pain in their joints and such from the constant pounding or if it has had the opposite effect and stengthened their muscles and joints.
    HOLA como estas StaticSmoke *Mi amigo AND COOL USER NAME
    *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) I have BEEN A Very SERIOUS DRUMMER ARTIST(PRO) SINCE I was 2-years Old ,AND AT least for Me*THIS ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM HAS ONLY MADE Me STAY in EXCELLENT SHAPE Both My CREATIVE OPEN MIND AND BODY *BUT I do work Out 7-days A week * To HELP KEEP In shape For My EXTREMMMXXX OUT of THE BOX CREATIVE ARTISTRY ** GRACIAS AND What ever works for the Creative ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST is all Great within their own UNIQUE
    (STYLE)(ARTISTRY) *****WITHIN their JOURNEYS

User Info Menu

I think it depends a lot on how you do it. My first ten or twenty minutes, I was trying to actually hold the sticks firmly, and that hurt badly. Now I'm not doing that, and I'm not minding at all; I'd guess that for the most part, if you're careful and attentive to your aches and pains, you'd get more benefit than harm.

User Info Menu

Definately keeps me alive and kicking.
    As for joint pains I have been playing a long time and I have never suffered any joint problems thankfully.

User Info Menu

Been playing now for 48 years and I feel that I'm in my best shape ever when it comes to my drums. I do not, however, play anything like Heavy Metal and am not certain that I would have the stamina that some of you younger people have for that. But, for Big Band drumming, I'm in great shape and my wrists and forearms have retained their strength all these years. BTW, that was an excellent question, Static!

User Info Menu

I think it keeps me in shape. I swim four times a week for cardio but dont do weights. I feel drumming has improved muscle tone in my arms especially the forearm... When i started i couldnt play for as long as i can now so yea an improvement. Of course its important to warm up before like with any exercise especially if you play hard n fast...

User Info Menu

I have great muscles thanks to drumming; my calves are like steel.
    But it has affected my stamina somewhat, I tend to get carried away, and then get too tired after it...tis not the best thing to do, honestly.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON View Post
    HOLA como estas StaticSmoke *Mi amigo AND COOL USER NAME
    *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) I have BEEN A Very SERIOUS DRUMMER ARTIST(PRO) SINCE I was 2-years Old ,AND AT least for Me*THIS ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM HAS ONLY MADE Me STAY in EXCELLENT SHAPE Both My CREATIVE OPEN MIND AND BODY *BUT I do work Out 7-days A week * To HELP KEEP In shape For My EXTREMMMXXX OUT of THE BOX CREATIVE ARTISTRY ** GRACIAS AND What ever works for the Creative ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST is all Great within their own UNIQUE
    (STYLE)(ARTISTRY) *****WITHIN their JOURNEYS
    SWD, You WERE born to be a drummer!

User Info Menu

Like anything repetitive, we need to take care of our bodies. Make sure we take frequent stretch breaks, eat healthy, and stretch before and after playing and practicing. (yeah right! LOL)
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Do you find drums strengthen your body? Or weaken it?

If the rest of my body was in as great shape as my forearms and upper arms, I'd be the next Arnold Schwarzenegger!

The flip side is, though, I have to watch my hands and fingers--in some ways, hand drumming can be as rough on your hands and arms as typing on a keyboard (carpal tunnel syndrome?)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

You wouldn't want to be Arnold, the Governator! He is making all kinds of cuts and the state is very mad at him!

User Info Menu

After many years of playing, my joints are fine. It's my ears that are shot!

User Info Menu

What?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I do feel wrecked the next after a hard gig but normally the aches and pains go after a little bit. My body Legs are a bit stiff bit i put that down to the daft position I sleep in with my legs bent.... However during playing I am lucky not to suffer any sort of problems
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    After many years of playing, my joints are fine. It's my ears that are shot!
    EARPLUGS!
    -Steven

User Info Menu

yeah, i noticed my forearms were getting more muscle in them, so i started doing push-ups, lifting weights, etc. i think that it keeps you heart healthy, but if your going for a "new you" it isnt going to help.

unless you tie weights to all your limbs

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

I can't say for sure if having two toms up, one tom down caused pain in my right shoulder, but stripping the kit down to a four piece and lowering the ride has mad things feel much better.

The impact certainly can't be beneficial to joints, especially for heavy hitters. You may find William Goldsmith's April 2004 Modern Drummer interview very interesting, as he talks at length about shoulder problems and drumming.

User Info Menu

I havent found it to have a negative effect on my body at all. i did find that it motivated me to work out more and i lost 20 pounds ( i wasnt fat, i just went from 160 to 140...) and am alot stronger then before, so i guess the worst thing is the repetitive thrashing of your joints
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    SWD, You WERE born to be a drummer!
    HOLA como estas MI AMIGO BASSIST LEARNING DRUMS *CREATIVE ARTISTIC BASSIST DRUMMER(GATO) THATS A FACT *AND
    A ANCIENT SPIRITUAL WIZZARD DRAGON of AND WITHIN THE COSMIC INFINITE LIGHT**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    I can't say for sure if having two toms up, one tom down caused pain in my right shoulder, but stripping the kit down to a four piece and lowering the ride has mad things feel much better.

The impact certainly can't be beneficial to joints, especially for heavy hitters. You may find William Goldsmith's April 2004 Modern Drummer interview very interesting, as he talks at length about shoulder problems and drumming.
    ************************************************** *************************

I only play a 4 pc. kit but, no longer keep the ride cymbal up high. When I did, I noticed that I had a pain in my right shoulder and that my arm always felt tired and sore. The more I watched Buddy Rich play, I realized that he kept his ride cymbal low to the bass drum and virtually flat. I started doing that and notice that I can play for long stretches of time and not feel any pain, soreness or fatigue at all in my arm and shoulder.

User Info Menu

i wish drumming would strengthen more than just arms and legs. i've always had skinny and ripped arms and legs but still big in the middle.

User Info Menu

I can understand if you held the stick too tight or incorrect, the shock may absorb into your forearm making it hurt a bit, and my leg muscles do tense up a bit after playing long, but for the most part I feel much more at ease with my body's rhythm and conditioning.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I feel that playing drums has given me more balance and strength in my fingers, wrists, ankles and calves. It has also strengthened my left hand.

THe only discomfort I feel at times is tension in forearms and shoulder but that just means one thing for me, slow it down coz you going to fast
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i wish drumming would strengthen more than just arms and legs. i've always had skinny and ripped arms and legs but still big in the middle.
    ************************************************** ********************************

Well Funky...that's easy to fix...just stay away from the "Beverage" when gigging.9 (hic...'scuse me)

User Info Menu

I pretty much feel great every time i play the drums. I have found that it helps relieve some back pain etc. for me and relieves alot of stress.