Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drum solo post techniques/styles

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum solo post techniques/styles

Quote Originally Posted by dova View Post
    oh c'mon is that it?

in many styles like progressive fusion and jazz, you are almost forced to be able to feel what is around you and solo accordingly, if anything, i think even if you do not like a part of drumming (i.e. drum soloing), i think it's necessary to keep pushing the envelope and bringing something new to the table to educate and progress our younger drummers, who time and time again, i believe are being influenced too much on the mainstream "hollywood" aspect of being in a band and drumming, and not enough on actually knowing what's up with their instrument. Whether you play rock, reggae, metal, funk, punk, trip hop, jazz, hip hop, country, or whatever, it's always nice to be able to shred and take control of the situation, at least for a little bit, and show the upper echelon skills. It's always nice to lay back, i love doing that too of course, lol, but this is a drumming forum so I thought i could talk about pushing the creativity of drumming!

for some of the younger drummers, some excellent educational books/dvd's that i would start with in terms of learning and grasping independence and technique, would be (Steve Gadd - Up Close) + (Dave Weckl - Back to Basics)

Just trying to help and spread the love of drumming

Listen to my solos and let me know what you think of my style and some of my chops, of course I play in many bands with different styles and know how to calm down and set the pace of the band, but I just wanted to have a little fun and spread the talent.

peace and drumming,

-dova

Re the genral comments on your thread dude - won't worry about it. From what I heard you certainly can play the drums and solo's are indeed a huge part of drumming but of course like all things in life - not everyone agrees! I for one have never been into solos though I have done them in my younger years (admittidly in the school band!). It is each to his / her own and I am sorry that you were upset by some of the comments. DC is a friendly place - much nicer than some other forums and in the whole there is never a cross work exchanged between members. plenty of teasing goes on() but its all good natured! So sit down, enjoy the ride and keep posting!

Good luck
    Dustin
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Re the genral comments on your thread dude - won't worry about it. From what I heard you certainly can play the drums and solo's are indeed a huge part of drumming but of course like all things in life - not everyone agrees! I for one have never been into solos though I have done them in my younger years (admittidly in the school band!). It is each to his / her own and I am sorry that you were upset by some of the comments. DC is a friendly place - much nicer than some other forums and in the whole there is never a cross work exchanged between members. plenty of teasing goes on() but its all good natured! So sit down, enjoy the ride and keep posting!

Good luck
    Dustin
    HOLA como estas MI AMIGO DUSTIN CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) THAT IS VERY COOL Mi AMIGO *AND SO VERY TRUE
    JUST got to LOVE IT **EXCELLENT**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Portishead!!