Thread: Recording

Larrysperf Guest

Default Recording

What do you all use to record yourselves. That doesnt cost a fortune Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording

Currently i use a Behringer 2222fx mixer with red5 drum mics. Im probably gonna start trying to record my own independent stuff soon. We've done some recordings with the band but the levels dont seem right. Im gonna get to know the mixer better and play around with it more so hopefully that will be sorted.

You could probably pick up mics and a mixer fairly cheaper but if you want cheaper still ive seen you can get a pretty decent sound out of just 1 condenser mic in front of the kit. research around a bit e.g youtube and ask people what they record if you find a sound you like. Im sure other people on here can also suggest cheap ways to record.

User Info Menu

i use a tascam 24 track digi recorder. if recording the whole band live we use a 16ch mixer and group each instrument/vox into its own track on the recorder, with a general drum mix on one track, and seperate tracks for kick and snare for added beef. i use an akg d112 for the kick, shure sm57 on the snare and the rest are shure pg series tom mics and overheads.

User Info Menu

I mic up and let someone else do the technical stuff - LOL!

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

I've been using a Shure SM57 on the snare, a Blue kickball on the bass, and an MXL 990 in front of the kit and an MXL 991 for the overhead. The result is good!
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Recording??
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I usually run my SGX Nightbass into the board, but that is how I record the bass. Not ready for the drum recording; although, I have experience micing and recording drums, from an engineer's side.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jd09 View Post
    I've been using a Shure SM57 on the snare, a Blue kickball on the bass, and an MXL 990 in front of the kit and an MXL 991 for the overhead. The result is good!
    i have both of those mxl mics. they came with my recorder. before i got my shure pg pack, i was recording the same way, with the bigger condensor about 10 feet in front of the kit and the pencil condensor as overhead. except i used a 57 nd my akg kick mic. i was getting pretty decent sounds with only 3 or 4 mics.

User Info Menu

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Zoom H2...about three hundred bucks. Good sound on its own...better with FX.

User Info Menu

I record with Audix D-series mics, through Mogami cables in my MX9000 24 channel mixer through Art Twin compressers, fully paramic Tube Ultra Q's then direct out to my HD24XR. Then I download into Cubase 4 for mixdown