Thread: Recording: Click track or no?

User Info Menu

Question Recording: Click track or no?

I'm not the best, and have my issues like everyone else. I've been playing for 23 years now. My guitarist is also our studio tech. He is recording everything and wants me to use a click so that he can concentrate more on the knobs than playing along into headphones for me while I am laying the tracks. The problem is that we're not a punk band. The music is not raw. It's extemely emotional with relies heavily on feel. I tried to explain this to him, he just doesn't understand why I can't play like that with the click. Am I crazy? Does anyone else find that when they play to a click, the tracks come out sounding like you were playing to a click? I have more than decent natural time, and the songs allow for movement throughout. Any commentary/insight of any kind is more than appreciated.
    -Cyrus (Disseverence)

User Info Menu

It's usually better to use a click. I haven't been to a studio or anything, but a lot of drummers say that when they first go in, the click is uncomfortable. It does take a while to get used to. But really when you get done, you realize how much better you do with it. hope this helps man.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Here's an idea for you: Lay down your track with the click track first. Everyone else needs your timing to be spot on so they can play their parts right. After the lay down their tracks, you can go back and lay down your own tracks without the click and swap them out if you like your second run through better! It's that easy!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

or that....
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

i think that for some people like myself when think we have better time than we actually do...we may even have great time, but we are only human and none of us can be absolutely perfect, so the first time we try to play with a metronome we hate it....just keep playing to those clicks and you will eventually like it...maybe...