Thread: new (girl) drummer question

User Info Menu

Default new (girl) drummer question

I've been taking lessons for a couple of months. Mostly, I've been working on the high hat, bass and snare. I'd like to branch out a bit, and have spent some time looking at drum tab.

What is the difference between:

stick click
    cross stick

Thanks!
    Kay

User Info Menu

Hi Kay and welcome to Drum Chat! Usually Cross Stick and Stick Click mean the same thing. You'll also hear it referred to as "Rim Click". In some cases "Stick Click" actually means to click your sticks together. They do this a lot in drumline arrangements.

User Info Menu

and cross sticking is normally exactly what it sound like...crossing your sticks...ive heard it used as a term on the quads and quints..and as a term on a kit ..on a kit i always just assumed they where talking about the cross between your hihat "right hand" and your snare " left hand" cause they're supossed to be crossed.
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome, Tom! This looks like an awesome group
    I'm so glad I could join.

I appreciate the responses. I'm amazed at all the different sounds that can be made with a standard drumkit.

Humbly,
    Kay

User Info Menu

Smile new (girl) drummer question

Hello there, Kay! As you've already discovered, our members are a knowledgable bunch...and, to borrow from one of our fellow members' signatures, take one drum and one cymbal...

And as you can suspect from my member name, you might try branching out into hand percussion...actually, the quads and quints chiko refers to are essentially bongos and congas translated into sticks for drumline use...as you've already seen, some of them even look like bongos and congas...

Might give that a try, too!

Welcome aboard and...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat!

Stick Click usually just means tapping your sticks together, and as mentioned it is used in Drumlines and such.

The cross-stick involves laying your stick across the snare drum and using the shaft of the stick to click against the rim. Work out where the sweet spots are on your sticks and you can make a nice earthy sound out of them. They're usually used in quiet, acoustic parts of songs.

HB58

User Info Menu

What's up Kay! Glad you joined. Everyone here does their best to help eachother. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and CONGRATS on crossing over to the drumming side.... Once your bitten by the drumming bug, you'll never be the same!!
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes, I think I know what you mean, Metal Drummer, hehe

Thanks, Hellsbells58 (wasn't that an AC/DC tune?) for the drumline definition. I was in choir in high school, now I wish I'd have joined the drumline. Oh well, I got here as fast as I could. . . ..

Bongobro - yeah, I love the hand drumming world. I used to play finger cymbals (and dance at the same time, lol ;-) with drum circles. I've always loved percussion. I can't slap the rim of the hand drums for very long - my delicate bone structure won't allow it, it makes me too sore. Also, the muscles in my hands and forearms simply aren't strong enough to do those fancy finger roll things you guys do so well on the hand drums - I'll have to admire your work from afar. . . . I do appreciate a well timed syncopation - what dancer can sit still with that goin' on? Hand drums rock!

Back to the sweet little 18" ludwig kit for some paradiddles. . . . you guys are inspiring!

Kay

User Info Menu

No problem Kay, glad to do it.

Just as a side note, Hells Bells is an ACDC tune (as I've just found out from google). But thats not the reason behind my name. My last name is Bell.

HB58

User Info Menu

what up Kay, can you play any songs and if so what is the name of the song that you can play?

User Info Menu

KAY! u r welcome, stick click can be used in starting a song whereby given the band or singers the pace u want the music to go. it can also be used for stylish play or when u are just too moved with the music u just tap the sticks together and continue playing, its not only limited to drumline though they use it most!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    No problem Kay, glad to do it.

Just as a side note, Hells Bells is an ACDC tune (as I've just found out from google). But thats not the reason behind my name. My last name is Bell.

HB58
    you gotta be kidding, how could anyone go a lifetime without hearing that song a million times? welcome kay,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    you gotta be kidding, how could anyone go a lifetime without hearing that song a million times? welcome kay,
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Yeah, my nick was going to be EddieVanHalen, but then I found out some famous guy beat me to it.